Planning to head to central Australia - Advice for prepping caravan and car/spares

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
It really peeves me that you/we have to rebuild the van so it is fit for purpose, but, we mostly talk about Jayco here (I know it's a Jayco forum) but an awful lot of more expensive vans have the same problems if not worse, this doesn't make it right. Thankfully we have a forum like this to help us.

Jared01

Oct 28, 2016
Sydney
Someone made a good point that the outback model has the better frame, springs and shocks etc etc but the same internals (which is a bit of a shame). I don't want to wreck the van so don't mind doing some things before they become a problem. Don't fancy drawers falling out and flying everywhere though.

Reactions: G Daddy

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Ok,

Now I am finally on the same page as you guys.

I have always been focusing on the kitchen drawers.

Each of our kids (3 of them) have one of the "wardrobe" drawers in the rear of the caravan for their clothes which currently weigh bugger all.

We have the same "C channel" type fixing for the wardrobe drawers. There is only 1 screw in the front of the runner and at the back the runner is just kept in the "C channel". Looks like I will have to do something like you did Custy181 with some wood in between the wall and runners to provide more support for the runners.

I took out the 1 screw and replaced it with an 8 gauge 16mm screw and put some glue on it too.

I also took out all of the screws from the runners in the kitchen drawers and glued them back in and replaced some of them with 8 gauge 16mm screws and relocated some of the smaller ones to other parts of the runners where cables may be near. Crusty181 you are right, inside the drawer there is 9mm wood which the runners/drawers are built on/into.

Was good to check out the drawers and fix up the screws a bit because I discovered one of the drawers under the dinette table was loose due to the bracket (picture 6) that screws the wood to the floor was undone. I purchased some more L shape brackets to make it even stronger so it doesn't happen again (some of the brackets under the bed were also coming away from the floor)

https://www.bunnings.com.au/dreambaby-child-safety-mini-multipurpose-safety-latch-4-pack_p4210869

One of our friends with a Jayco Expanda believes the only drawer related issue I will have (on corrugations) is the drawers coming out due to the latches not holding so well but sounds like you guys have not had that problem?

If this is a potential problem, I thought of a few different ideas but possibly settled on putting the below child lock thingies on both ends of each drawer to the side in the hope they will not open.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/dreambaby-child-safety-mini-multipurpose-safety-latch-4-pack_p4210869
My drawer catches are the same as yours. We had no issues with the drawer catches, or the door catches for that matter (which are different to the drawers) I dragged our van around tracks I know you, and the majority of other people wont (still not sure why I did that). Maybe you will have catch issues, who knows, but most of the force will be vertical not horizontal. You should of course take onboard all the advice you can get your hands on, give each tit bit a credibility score and then make an informed decision. That's whats good about this forum, most people arent too precious have a vast depth of knowledge and are bursting to help you out. As for your mate, if he's experienced drawer catch issues with similar catches take heed; if its a more a "seems like" scenario, it may still be right so add it to the bucket of advice and using the credibility/probability filter take out what you feel is a good fit for you.

Getting close now ... very exciting.

Someone made a good point that the outback model has the better frame, springs and shocks etc etc but the same internals (which is a bit of a shame). I don't want to wreck the van so don't mind doing some things before they become a problem. Don't fancy drawers falling out and flying everywhere though.
The much maligned Jayco is a reasonably sturdy critter, and certainly isnt any worse than the other offerings on the market including the expensive alternatives. I think youll be surprised by how well it will perform. I dont like caravan shows, but to reinforce why I dont I went to the local one last year. I couldnt find a single reason why I would bother steering away from Jayco for my next van ... in fact I could find substantial issues in every van brand I looked at. Im not a Jayco groupie, but all the others were all disappointing.

Last edited:

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
It’s hard to describe without pics but on the 17:58s the drawers under the dinette “overclose” and the front face of the drawer takes the load resulting in the dowels pulling out and the drawer face falling off! One of our catches failed there as well. With the drawer I added rubber stops on the ends of the runners so the drawer faces didn’t actually slam against the cabinets. I may have pics on my build post (link in sig) can’t remember

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
It’s hard to describe without pics but on the 17:58s the drawers under the dinette “overclose” and the front face of the drawer takes the load resulting in the dowels pulling out and the drawer face falling off! One of our catches failed there as well. With the drawer I added rubber stops on the ends of the runners so the drawer faces didn’t actually slam against the cabinets. I may have pics on my build post (link in sig) can’t remember
The drawer runners have been installed incorrectly

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Interestingly and a bit OT except for the discussion re corogations but I have been researching airbag suspension. Seems it’s the answer for these types of roads. Can find nothing but praise from those that have towed with it.

Jared01

Oct 28, 2016
Sydney
Thanks for all the feedback. I have finished reinforcing the drawers and runners.

I did something similar and screwed in some wood in between the wardrobe runners and wall as they were only help in with the plastic C clip and 1 screw at the front.

Recon I could hang off it now :)

Also for the drawers under the dinette I added 2 angle brackets (on the bottom) for extra support.

Attachments

• 20180622_113931.jpg
    20180622_113931.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 343
  • 20180622_113936.jpg
    20180622_113936.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 401
  • 20180622_113942.jpg
    20180622_113942.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 445
  • 20180622_120810.jpg
    20180622_120810.jpg