Overtaking road trains

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
You can see in the slow motion where it all goes south. Just after the wobble starts the brake lights come on. Judging by the violent increase in sway, they have applied the car brakes which will always cause this reaction. If they maintained the accelorator and applied the van brakes it would have straightened out and they would have been on their merry way.
It is fine to overtake, particularly on long straight sections, care needs to be taken though.

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
Hey while we are on this subject, on another forum everyone says they sit at 80 - 90 kph as its so much safer etc. I am not by any means trying to be a smart ass (not this time anyway) but when we went out west at christmas we sat on 100 - 105kpa and I overtook a number of road trains reaching speeds up to 120 at times. I have spoken to others who drive in a similar way, are we just plain mad or is our setup just working better, I drove semis interstate for years and I have never felt unstable with the van on, I do drive a lot slower on back roads according to the conditions but on a good surface on a hi way i stick to the posted limits.

acmackie

Apr 19, 2012
Glenmore Park
Hey while we are on this subject, on another forum everyone says they sit at 80 - 90 kph as its so much safer etc. I am not by any means trying to be a smart ass (not this time anyway) but when we went out west at christmas we sat on 100 - 105kpa and I overtook a number of road trains reaching speeds up to 120 at times. I have spoken to others who drive in a similar way, are we just plain mad or is our setup just working better, I drove semis interstate for years and I have never felt unstable with the van on, I do drive a lot slower on back roads according to the conditions but on a good surface on a hi way i stick to the posted limits.
Same for me - Travelled down the Newell from Toowoomba to Dubbo and found myself 120+km/h overtaking, would prefer to stay below that but still felt very stable. Guess it depends on the combination you've got and the prevailing conditions. Biggest concern if you start to get sway at 120+ then you might not have much in reserve to "accelerate" out of it!

Reactions: blacky

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne
My opinion only, but if you have to overtake something that is already at the speed limit, then you are probably going too fast. I thought we were meant to enjoy journey as well as the destination!

With my Prado, I find I get best fuel economy and control at around 95kph in 4th gear, about 11-12L/100. If I stick too 100kmh, then it's up around 14-15L/100.

Also at a slower speed I have more time to react, especially when you see this last minute sign to turn off to see something nice that you weren't planning too do.

I think @crackacoldie is onto something though!

Like I said, my opinion.

DRW

May 29, 2013
Yeah maybe, but, road trains are limited to 90K and they were slowing down on the hills, we travel in top gear and that speed usually returns 14-15 as well

seanparky

Jul 19, 2012
Brisbane
Yeah maybe, but, road trains are limited to 90K and they were slowing down on the hills, we travel in top gear and that speed usually returns 14-15 as well
lol drw. must be slow truck in your area. I've been sitting on 100 and have had a few go around me with no ease. to many trick to trick the computers

Reactions: Stan53

marty18576

Jan 24, 2014
Briagolong
I believe tow hitch height is very important. I didn't enjoy towing our new van at first it was pushing me all over the road you would notice the most when passing/overtaking trucks or rough roads. Thought I had it right but after getting the tape measure out I was wrong. Turned the hitch around to a higher level it tows like a dream now.

Also as a truck driver of 25 years I see some silly behaviour on our roads. Please think before overtaking cars or trucks. Are they really slowing you down ? Are you able to maintain a higher speed to stay in front of them ? Lots of people see a truck and at all cost try and overtake. Todays trucks are big on horse power and will do every thing they can to travel as fast as they can as they always have some place to be.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I believe tow hitch height is very important. I didn't enjoy towing our new van at first it was pushing me all over the road you would notice the most when passing/overtaking trucks or rough roads. Thought I had it right but after getting the tape measure out I was wrong. Turned the hitch around to a higher level it tows like a dream now.

Also as a truck driver of 25 years I see some silly behaviour on our roads. Please think before overtaking cars or trucks. Are they really slowing you down ? Are you able to maintain a higher speed to stay in front of them ? Lots of people see a truck and at all cost try and overtake. Todays trucks are big on horse power and will do every thing they can to travel as fast as they can as they always have some place to be.

Can you explain more about the hitch height? Are you aimimg for level?

DRW

May 29, 2013
Hi @marty18576 I totally agree with you, I turned our hitch upside down and fitted air bags to the rear of the car, I run them at 15psi when towing an it sits very straight and stable. I think the difference is being a tandem and an extended draw bar as well. One day hopefully I will be happy to sit and smell the roses but when we go away we seem to average around 700K per day to get to our destination, not always by choice either.