17' Series Outback wheels on a Tourer

The Bucky's

May 25, 2014
Hi,
This may be a silly question, but do outback model wheels fit onto a touring model?

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
When I asked it was ESC has to have a update to it and brakes may have to be changed.
Depends if your been underslung and what your going to wheel size.

Yes you have to check stud pattern.
A couple of people have done it on here.
It is still on my list although not taken the van anywhere we needed outback wheels yet and we underslung already.

Here is a link to a touring Starcraft done. Same as what we have

http://expandasdownunder.com/threads/shane-and-aleshas-new-22-68-1.6581/page-7#post-160195

Reactions: The Bucky's

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I replaced the touring rims on my 14.44 with wider RoH rims which gave a better load rating on the rims and better tyres all round. Details in my 14.44 thread.
Possibly cheaper to go to a tyre shop with the spare and tell them what you want, get a better quality rim as well. Unless you want to go larger rim I doubt any change needed to ESC or brakes in fact I hear this change of brakes all the time and think it's just a ploy.
But why the need to change to outback rims ????

Tricky

Nov 10, 2012
Eltham Victoria
You will likely run into an issue with the wheels fouling / or smashing the wheel house on the body. Clearance when the suspension is fully compressed will cause a major problem

Reactions: The Bucky's

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Just a couple of simple things are needed to be done with tape measure, pencil and paper to set you on the right path. But why ? is the first part .

The Bucky's

May 25, 2014
Just a couple of simple things are needed to be done with tape measure, pencil and paper to set you on the right path. But why ? is the first part .
We purchased our 17.56.2 tourer van underslung a few years ago and are playing on going up the centre to Darwin next year from Melbourne. We didn't go with the outback because of the extra weight mainly. Friends have an outback model that we'll be going with. If we decide to go offroad a little bit, i figured the outback tyres would hold up better than the touring ones.

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
Pretty sure youll find that touring and OB rims are both 6 stud Toyota. Watch that the tyre width and off set dont cause you the issue.
Our touring Expanda is 5 stud, I simply grabbed some 15x8 ford pattern sunrasia rims and fitted 235/75-15 tyres(same size as outback models). I also underslung/rotated axle.

Reactions: bigcol

The Bucky's

May 25, 2014
Our touring Expanda is 5 stud, I simply grabbed some 15x8 ford pattern sunrasia rims and fitted 235/75-15 tyres(same size as outback models). I also underslung/rotated axle.
Do you have any photos that you could post for me pls?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
LT tyres with an AT tread will do the job, no need for aggressive off road tyres , they just wear more and serve no usefull purpose as they are not driven.......if you have light truck tyres fitted at the moment then no real need if they are in good condition.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
LT tyres with an AT tread will do the job, no need for aggressive off road tyres , they just wear more and serve no usefull purpose as they are not driven.......if you have light truck tyres fitted at the moment then no real need if they are in good condition.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Were your original rims steel? Im pretty sure the newer alloys are 6 stud ... but hey, I may well be completely wrong, which the Princess could corroborate

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria

This is what I did at the local tyre dealer and have not had a problem.