One less issue with our Ranger

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Interesting.... $1268 for the Colorado down this way.

It's a lot of money for something that jerry cans can do for much cheaper... but I love the convenience and safety of it. Interested to hear more peoples thoughts about why having a long range tank is great... particularly "Big Trippers".

The Collies limited little 75L tank annoys me at times, but I've never been too put out by it. Getting 16L/100km towing means that we've got ~400km without risking it.
A range of 400km doesn't give you much leeway in some places to be able to choose where and when to fill up. Then there's the problems of access to fuel pumps while towing. Some towns are all on the other side of the road and can be difficult to get to. I prefer to have the tray/canopy space for other things and don't like the idea of heavy items back at the tailgate in a twin cab ute. I'm not fond of all the fuel weight being on one side of the vehicle though so am trying to put heavier items on the other side to try to balance it out. I will still have a choice of 1-2 jerries on the "A" frame as backup and for the van diesel heater as well. I'm also getting a bit past the fun of trying to hold up a full jerry can at chest height to be able to empty it in to the car tank (been there, done that).

Reactions: Smergen

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
A range of 400km doesn't give you much leeway in some places to be able to choose where and when to fill up. Then there's the problems of access to fuel pumps while towing.

Yeah, whilst the range hasn't been an issue for any of the trips we've done, I know once I head "outback" fuel stops reduce in frequency and quality. The extra redundancy would be great, I just need to weigh the expense and convenience up against the hassle of jerry cans.