One less issue with our Ranger

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Because of the piddling 80L fuel tank in the Rangers I've considered for some time a suitable option to add additional range, particularly while towing. Didn't like the steel tank options due to the weight of the tanks themselves. Considered a poly tank under the canopy but not wanting to reduce load carrying space. Already have 2 can holders on the van "A' frame but not much use when not towing.

Finally ARB have come up with an choice that I had installed last week. They have created their own rotomoulded 140L tank. Somewhat lighter than a steel equivalent and should allow making better choices for when/where to refuel.
http://www.arb.com.au/frontier-long-range-fuel-tank/

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Tank: $1039.50
Fitting: $193.00
The bit that really hurts is that they have to go out and fill the tank to check all is OK.
Fuel to fill at current general Darwin diesel price of 128.9 c/l for 133.53Litres, $172.12.
Tank had some in it from old one before filling.
We are being ripped off up here, but then again some months ago it was up at $1.75/L

ARB are doing a range of other vehicle tanks. I was actually surprised that it got done so soon as I had heard of quite a backlog of orders.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Would it be that difficult to fit DIY? They do say in their ad/description each tank is tested individually.
  • Will not rust or corrode
  • 100% pressure tested
  • Tough, impact resistant plastic polymer
  • Three year warranty

Reactions: Delano

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Would it be that difficult to fit DIY? They do say in their ad/description each tank is tested individually.
  • Will not rust or corrode
  • 100% pressure tested
  • Tough, impact resistant plastic polymer
  • Three year warranty
Probably not that difficult and I think that someone on the Ranger Forum did, so help there is available, if you strike the right person.

Years ago I added a couple of extra tanks to a Range Rover but that was a simple plumbing job but a time consuming mounting job and a pain in the rear end future gearbox mount replacement issue. With all the electronics nowadays and warranty issues I can't be bothered with some things.

I did keep the old tank and bash plate just in case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Delano and dagree

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I have the BT50 but there would not be much difference.

I then have to convince LOTO that we need the extra fuel. :rolleyes-88:

Last edited:
Reactions: Delano

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
I have the BT50 but there would not be much difference
I then have to convince LOTO that we need the extra fuel. :rolleyes-88:
My understanding is that they are both the same replacement kit and instructions. Nothing much better to do, except think of mods and look in to 4 seasons hatch leak now that I know more about it. Will need to visit big green shed for a few tubes of Sikaflex.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: chartrock

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I had a 150ltr tank fitted to the Navara (best car ever) Although mines the alum coated steel LRA variety, the extra capacity has been absolutely terrific.

It would be difficult and incredibly annoying to have to go back to a std tank

Reactions: Delano and achjimmy

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
$193 fitting not bad.. I think it was $400 for the Disco to fit one.. Although Disco's replace the wheel so thats more money for the Kayman as well.
I dropped off the car just after 8am and they called back a bit less than 3 hours later so fitting time was quite quick. Don't know if this branch had done one before. The downloadable Pricing Guide from their website shows exactly those amounts for supply and fitting for this Postcode.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I hope they get their ass's into gear and do the one for the Pajero im sick of the 80ltr

I wouldn't be putting the plastic tank in a paj, (nor would I buy that 70 series one in the brochure either) it's too exposed. I had the LRA steel one in the paj and it was fantastic but they are susceptible to all kinds of damage hung out the arse there like that. I gave the paj one a serious belt on the expanda high country trip back a few years ago and I wouldn't call that "rough " going? Some clown even went in a standard jeep :boink: :behindsofa: :D

The big outback one for the 200 has the option now of a 6mm plate bottom !!! Because of issues some have had in the outback. So certainly pick you vehicle for a plastic tank IMO, if not going to cop it like the paj or landcruiser fine.

Reactions: Matty4

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
I dropped off the car just after 8am and they called back a bit less than 3 hours later so fitting time was quite quick. Don't know if this branch had done one before. The downloadable Pricing Guide from their website shows exactly those amounts for supply and fitting for this Postcode.
thanks Phil did not see that down the bottom
$1835.00 fitting $605 total cost $2440.00 for 104lt aux
Plus Kayman $2191 :(
Hence we have not done it :(

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have 6 Jerry Cans, genuine Military grade steel I think if I need extra I'll use them but then having a tray back life is easier though did look at a boat fuel tank for under the tray but it would get in the way of the rod carrier.
Diesel at Withcott $1.18/lt..............................must be 20c/lt cheaper in brissie as we are always the dearest.

Reactions: peterg

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Interesting.... $1268 for the Colorado down this way.

It's a lot of money for something that jerry cans can do for much cheaper... but I love the convenience and safety of it. Interested to hear more peoples thoughts about why having a long range tank is great... particularly "Big Trippers".

The Collies limited little 75L tank annoys me at times, but I've never been too put out by it. Getting 16L/100km towing means that we've got ~400km without risking it.

Reactions: Drover