Off road hitch options for Expanda

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Hi All, just wondering if anyone is running an off road hitch on their Expanda?

I have used a Tregg hitch on my old soft floor and hated it. I then tried an Ozhitch on my Hawk which was quite easy to use, though a little messy/greasy.

My new van can come with a Hyland hitch from factory and i am considering this or fitting the Ozhitch again myself.

Would love to hear what other have tried.

wizzerwazza

Sep 20, 2010
perth, nor
My expanda has a trigg hitch. Very similar to the treg. While it is a good device it can be a pain in the butt to line up. Im thinking of adding the mchitch to it. Has anyone done this or used one?

wizzer

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I ordered mine with a hyland hitch, so i report back on how it goes once the new van comes.

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
I tell you what... just put on a reverse camera (wireless to rearview) pointing out over the tregg hitch.. SOOOO much easier to reverse onto now.. less fights!! $160 delivered from china with built in GPS too!! Can't wait to put an extra one on the rear of the Expanda... when it finally gets here... its like waiting for a baby!!

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I tell you what... just put on a reverse camera (wireless to rearview) pointing out over the tregg hitch.. SOOOO much easier to reverse onto now.. less fights!! $160 delivered from china with built in GPS too!! Can't wait to put an extra one on the rear of the Expanda... when it finally gets here... its like waiting for a baby!!

Got any details there bigman, assuming from fleabay? Sounds like what i need and in my price range:D

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
moranbahweather.com
Got any details there bigman, assuming from fleabay? Sounds like what i need and in my price range:D
Ok.... a couple of things first..(for everyone)
1: This rear view mirror had a wireless camera included... thats 1! to make into dual cameras we need to do a couple of tricky things with a couple of relays that I will eventually publish a diagram for.
2: The website that is listed below is sort of like international eBay for the Chinese,HK and Malaysian wholesalers to flog off their "cheap" products.
3: Make sure you read everything before buying... you are protected from fraud extremely well (like eBay) but sometimes ordering will take a double look over of what particular product options you are ordering.
4: I have now ordered several products from this website and post times vary ( majority of the time delivery is free) most prices if not all are is US dollars, so now is a good time to buy.
5: If you have any questions or dramas drop me a line and I will help where i can.
6: BE WARNED!! There is heaps of stuff on here from 30ft high waterpark style water slides to ultrasound machines... put your Credit Card in a safe place if you are a gadget geek!!

http://www.aliexpress.com/home2.html

The product I bought:
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-f...s-navigation-4G-card-2G-card-wholesalers.html
(I didn't get the DVR or Radar detector options. Radar=Illegal and detectable)

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Thanks for the warning, i love website like this! Credit card safely stowed away, now in i go........................

wizzerwazza

Sep 20, 2010
perth, nor

I bought a similar unit 18 months ago from fleabay. The camera part worked a whole 2 weeks. The GPS is good tho. Was going to send it back but couldn't be bothered. Last time i sent something back to china (ipod copy) it took 4 months to get a replacement. The replacement lasted 2 days. Sent that back and never heard from them again.

wizzer

wizzerwazza

Sep 20, 2010
perth, nor
Ok.... a couple of things first..(for everyone)
1: This rear view mirror had a wireless camera included... thats 1! to make into dual cameras we need to do a couple of tricky things with a couple of relays that I will eventually publish a diagram for.
2: The website that is listed below is sort of like international eBay for the Chinese,HK and Malaysian wholesalers to flog off their "cheap" products.
3: Make sure you read everything before buying... you are protected from fraud extremely well (like eBay) but sometimes ordering will take a double look over of what particular product options you are ordering.
4: I have now ordered several products from this website and post times vary ( majority of the time delivery is free) most prices if not all are is US dollars, so now is a good time to buy.
5: If you have any questions or dramas drop me a line and I will help where i can.
6: BE WARNED!! There is heaps of stuff on here from 30ft high waterpark style water slides to ultrasound machines... put your Credit Card in a safe place if you are a gadget geek!!

http://www.aliexpress.com/home2.html

The product I bought:
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-f...s-navigation-4G-card-2G-card-wholesalers.html
(I didn't get the DVR or Radar detector options. Radar=Illegal and detectable)

that website is awesome. couldn't find an offroad hitch tho lol. but was thinking about the mobile phone that takes 4 sim cards lol. why would you need 4 sims?

wizzer

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
4 SIMS? Geez the only things I can think of that would require that probably don't have a lot of good in them...

In terms of the hitch I have only heard good things about them especially if going off road.

One thing though is you can not use a WDH with a hitch on...

That would mean for me the back of the tow car would sag to much.

Could be easily solved by airbags / stiffer suspension but it does not always correct the weight coming off the front wheels.

Let us know how you get on with it!

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
In terms of the hitch I have only heard good things about them especially if going off road.

Could be easily solved by airbags / stiffer suspension but it does not always correct the weight coming off the front wheels.

My 100th post, and i don't even have an Expanda yet;)

The theroy behind the off road hitch on mine was the towball weight on my old Hawk was about 140kg, i have been told on my new expanda it will be about 130-140kgs. I had no problems towing the Hawk and keeping level once i installed airbags, so theoretically with the same towball weight in the new van i should be fine.

Will let you know if my theory is correct once it arrives (been told yesterday looking like 17th June, damn, missed the June long weekend:( ).

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
moranbahweather.com
4 SIMS? Geez the only things I can think of that would require that probably don't have a lot of good in them...

4 wives?? Ha! wouldn't wish that on anyone!! :)

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
For those interested, we went with the Hyland hitch, very happy with it so far. It seems easier to use that the Tregg and Ozhitch it have used previously. Though they were both great products also:first:

hyland.JPG

busybusymum

Oct 23, 2011
Albury/Wodonga
I have been researching the whole hitch thing prior to ordering 17.56-2 OB.

The dealership has indicated an estimated ATM given all we are interested in (see my previous post on "What options should we get for 17.56-2" - we have now included simplicity suspension outdoor shower extra length A-frame - but not 16 inch wheels - not interchangeable with the Prado so can't see the point) and they have indicated ATM of 2400-2450kg - pretty close to the mark for a 2500kg towing Prado 150series.

I would really like the swivel coupling - but am concerned with towing close to the mark that we need a WDS and it does not seem that they are overly compatible with a swivel coupling. Elsewhere on the site I have heard of those with a hyland hitch going to use the WDS - does this work - at what stage would you need to take it off when offroad? I also see others have used the Oz Hitch - would like more feedback on this. What about the McHitch?. Also I see there is another interesting (but expensive) one out there called the Hitch-Ezy. Has anyone got one of these?

Motomoto what did you fit and is it a good system (although you do have a smaller van)

I have plenty of feedback on the treg style hitch - but my concern is lining it up -(although we do have a reverse camera in the Prado) - but it seems you cant use a WDS on this either?

Bigman has indicated he does not have a WDS and has simplicity suspension and airbags in the rear of car which he says helps - do others find the simplicity suspension is useful when travelling? it sounds like we do a similar style of camping to bigman (although going up the back of Mitta and the Vic Alps areas - would be a bit colder!). Menindee was our last trip in the Hawk - lots of dirt between Ivanhoe and Menindee and Wilcannia.