NSW NSW Events to look forward Too............

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Amongst all the Doom and Gloom some of my favourite places are still planning ahead and live in hope............. Temora Aviation Museum (RAAF 100Sqdn Heritage Flight) has been putting off flying days and battling on, the next showcase is November 20th and in line with current thinking you need 2 jabs for entry, if you don't like those conditions then stick your head back in the garden, someone might kick the bit they can see when its safe to come out..................

Anyway the planes will be flying, see the web site for details; https://aviationmuseum.com.au/event/november-showcase/

If Queen Anna needs more Brownie points she hopefully will let the gate swing both ways so look for Big Mal with a Navy & RAAF ensign flying at the Temora Showgrounds as Big Mal will be cruising south of the border when it does ........

Spitfire Go.jpg

Last edited:

Johnanbev

Jul 7, 2013
Sunbury VIC.
Amongst all the Doom and Gloom some of my favourite places are still planning ahead and live in hope............. Temora Aviation Museum (RAAF 100Sqdn Heritage Flight) has been putting off flying days and battling on, the next showcase is November 2nd and in line with current thinking you need 2 jabs for entry, if you don't like those conditions then stick your head back in the garden, someone might kick the bit they can see when its safe to come out..................

Anyway the planes will be flying, see the web site for details; https://aviationmuseum.com.au/event/november-showcase/

If Queen Anna needs more Brownie points she hopefully will let the gate swing both ways so look for Big Mal with a Navy & RAAF ensign flying at the Temora Showgrounds as Big Mal will be cruising south of the border when it does ........

View attachment 67594
@Drover More flying on 20th Nov. than 2nd.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Another brilliant Aviation Museum is HARS at Albion Park, The Historical Aircraft Restoration Society has many great aircraft ,including the Navy Heritage Flight, it is hopeful of a re-opening on the 18th October, subject to an array of Covid restrictions....... They have a number of aircraft in flying condition.......

https://hars.org.au/2021/10/museum-plans-to-reopen-on-18-october/

Interesting that NSW includes Greater Sydney as an area down to Shellharbour, as an Oak Flats boy I reckon a few folks would be peed off being included in anything Sydney let alone Shelharbour...........

NHF Huey ..... Huey898.jpg

A bit further down the road at Nowra the FAA Museum plans to open Dec 1st, it has some great static display aircraft operated by the Navy over the years, some could be brought to flying status......... I would stay somewhere on the coast though as Nowra is now a dive compared to when it was home.......

FAAM.jpg.... FAAM has been refurbished since last visit so looking forward to heading down to my old base.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well NSWhalers, some good stuff happening at Temora Aviation Museum tomorrow Nov 3rd.......

6th Aviation Regiment of the 16th Aviation Brigade will be dropping in at Temora from 1300 to 1500 with a couple of S70 Blackhawks, so if you want to get up close to one of these brilliant machines, tomorrow is your chance............. Entry to the Museum will be free between these hours as well.........

1635831155897.png
....................................................................................................
1635831638540.png

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Okey Dokey, looked like the Army had to cancel for Temora and reschedule a date....................... Can't help but wonder if the 30 odd year old airframe didn't want to play...

Meanwhile HARS at Albion Park NSW is having Tarmac Days again, this month 12-14th November and it is hoped "Wings Over The Illawarra" the big flying event will be on Nov 27-28th they have listed the following aircraft will be flying, Super Constellation “Connie”, Neptune 273, a Caribou, Catalina PBY "Black cat" and the Huey from the Navy Heritage Flight and always a lot of visiting Warbirds.............. displayed are Boeing 747-400, Neptune 281, DC-3 / C-47 Dakotas, Tracker 845 with Tracker 844 planned to do a wing fold demonstration alongside a visiting Corsair and Avenger, the F-111, Sabre, DC-4, Convair, Fokker Friendship F27, Wessex helicopter, the Southern Cross II and a Winjeel .................... Maybe next year for this fella..............

1636356327983.png
..... Neptune A89-273 firing up its fans.... (HARS)

Johnanbev

Jul 7, 2013
Sunbury VIC.
Okey Dokey, looked like the Army had to cancel for Temora and reschedule a date....................... Can't help but wonder if the 30 odd year old airframe didn't want to play...

Meanwhile HARS at Albion Park NSW is having Tarmac Days again, this month 12-14th November and it is hoped "Wings Over The Illawarra" the big flying event will be on Nov 27-28th they have listed the following aircraft will be flying, Super Constellation “Connie”, Neptune 273, a Caribou, Catalina PBY "Black cat" and the Huey from the Navy Heritage Flight and always a lot of visiting Warbirds.............. displayed are Boeing 747-400, Neptune 281, DC-3 / C-47 Dakotas, Tracker 845 with Tracker 844 planned to do a wing fold demonstration alongside a visiting Corsair and Avenger, the F-111, Sabre, DC-4, Convair, Fokker Friendship F27, Wessex helicopter, the Southern Cross II and a Winjeel .................... Maybe next year for this fella..............

View attachment 67798..... Neptune A89-273 firing up its fans.... (HARS)
Those Neptunes had fire detection but no protection on the engines!

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Those Neptunes had fire detection but no protection on the engines!
The RAAF SP2H had a Fire System installed after an earlier P2V-5 crashed, they were, I believe the only Neptunes in the world fitted with such a system......... Fancy the job of the fella who stands near by with the big Fire bottle just in case its goes woof, think I would rather do a jet than these egg beater jobbies... Do recall one weekend being roped into standing by with the fire extinguisher on steroids, just stick the pole in that hole, pull the trigger and run, that was all the instructions and I was then qualified it seemed............... run to my 30,00 litre tanker of course.

Last edited:

Johnanbev

Jul 7, 2013
Sunbury VIC.
The RAAF SP2H had a Fire System installed after an earlier P2V-5 crashed, they were, I believe the only Neptunes in the world fitted with such a system......... Fancy the job of the fella who stands near by with the big Fire bottle just in case its goes woof, think I would rather do a jet than these egg beater jobbies... Do recall one weekend being roped into standing by with the fire extinguisher on steroids, just stick the pole in that hole, pull the trigger and run, that was all the instructions and I was then qualified it seemed............... run to my 30,00 litre tanker of course.
Hi @Drover, I remembered the one that caught fire and crashed, off memory I think it was on aproach to Richmond. They had fire detection but no fire extinquisher system. I wasn't aware that they retro fitted fire extinquisher bottles to the engines.
I love watching radial engines starting, exciting stuff, you never know if the whole thing is going to catch fire or not. The exhausr stacks are great under max. take off power also.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
This weekend I again miss "Wings Over The Illawarra" , 27-28th November ......................

Certainly hear and feel the radials when they fire up on the weekend, lots of them will be churning away, especially The Trackers @Johnanbev , the smell of AVTUR and AVGAS will be everywhere along with the sweet sound of turbines.

1637866415103.png

Johnanbev

Jul 7, 2013
Sunbury VIC.
This weekend I again miss "Wings Over The Illawarra" , 27-28th November ......................

Certainly hear and feel the radials when they fire up on the weekend, lots of them will be churning away, especially The Trackers @Johnanbev , the smell of AVTUR and AVGAS will be everywhere along with the sweet sound of turbines.

View attachment 67837
@Drover The "sweet sound of turbines" is the main reason I have tinninitus and wear hearing aids!!.
On another note a friend of ours wife died last week and we went to the funeral a couple of days ago. Found out she was a hostess on the Ansett DC6B that shed number 3 engine after take off at Essendon airport back in the 60's.
It happens that I had an engine Instructor back then who was a died in the wool thumper man, hated turbines, he also was a very keen bowls player and a member of the Airport West club which was under the flight path of the DC6B as it took off. Major components of his beloved thumper engine as they fell to the ground so damaged his beloved bowling green that it was unplayable for weeks! caused him depression for a while!
The rest of the story is that they flew the airplane out over Port Philip and shook the aircraft up and down a bit till the whole engine departed the mount and flew back to Essendon for a normal one engine inoperative landing.

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The "sweet sound of turbines" is the main reason I have tinninitus and wear hearing aids!!.

You aren't alone there, with me a toss up between Gunfire, the mongrel scream of a "Draggie" HS748 or the APU on a Falcon , actually I think all 3 myself then we can add hot refuels with one engine shut down while we pumped a bit of liquid explosive into a wing .....................

Its fantastic to sit and listen to the stories from old Sailors and Aviation folk............. Had a few adventures myself which at the time was part of the job but now a different thing.................... I often arrived after the big event but in time to help clean up the mess.....

These have a sweet sound, just love 'em..........

NavyDays_0015.jpg ................................. just wish I carried a camera more often back then.

and the noisiest thing around, wake the dead...........The HS748 ...........
1637910875774.png
.. hated to fuel them.

Johnanbev

Jul 7, 2013
Sunbury VIC.
You aren't alone there, with me a toss up between Gunfire, the mongrel scream of a "Draggie" HS748 or the APU on a Falcon , actually I think all 3 myself then we can add hot refuels with one engine shut down while we pumped a bit of liquid explosive into a wing .....................

Its fantastic to sit and listen to the stories from old Sailors and Aviation folk............. Had a few adventures myself which at the time was part of the job but now a different thing.................... I often arrived after the big event but in time to help clean up the mess.....

These have a sweet sound, just love 'em..........

View attachment 67838 ................................. just wish I carried a camera more often back then.

and the noisiest thing around, wake the dead...........The HS748 ...........View attachment 67839.. hated to fuel them.
The scream of those centrifugal compressors on the RR. Dart is totally ear drum destroying!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Refuelling a PC9 was always nice, no noise other than truck rumbling away using a hand gun and so long as you didn't splash any of it...... especially on this one as it was the RAAF head honcho's run about..... with your back turned when they did a low pass you swore it was a Spitfire.

I liked using a pie cart, just a small truck with pump, drove to aircraft, plugged hose from truck into ground point, plugged hose into aircraft and fired up the pump, with Galaxies, B52's and Globemasters you could have 3 trucks plugged in and pumping......
Is the fella in the engine watching the vent or overflow ????

NavyDays_0007.jpg

Johnanbev

Jul 7, 2013
Sunbury VIC.
Refuelling a PC9 was always nice, no noise other than truck rumbling away using a hand gun and so long as you didn't splash any of it...... especially on this one as it was the RAAF head honcho's run about..... with your back turned when they did a low pass you swore it was a Spitfire.

I liked using a pie cart, just a small truck with pump, drove to aircraft, plugged hose from truck into ground point, plugged hose into aircraft and fired up the pump, with Galaxies, B52's and Globemasters you could have 3 trucks plugged in and pumping......
Is the fella in the engine watching the vent or overflow ????

View attachment 67848
@Drover The fella in the engine is a just under 6ft. scale to demonstrate the size of the engine air intake!