16' Series No signal at all. Came out of nowhere...

ianm67

May 17, 2021
Rouse Hill
My 16.49 Expanda has all of a sudden lost TV signal. BEFORE you reply. YES I PUSHED THE BOOSTER BUTTON!!!!!
The wind up was very loose and very wobbly, but I fixed that by tightening plastic nut inside roof cavity. I have no idea why
it has stopped working I have changed nothing. Have retuned over 5 times with no effect. Oh I have a Winguard Antenna.

Any ideas???

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Assuming you had a signal in that area before I would firstly check that the connection on the aerial up top is done up tight, then remove the panel where the booster switch is, pull it off slowly as things can be tangled, check that the 3 aerial connectors are done up tight, have found them to be loose or undone completely......... other possibles are: booster to TV lead has a break (common as plugs are crap) test continuity or just swap out, the aerial lead from booster to aerial has a break, can test by unplugging lead at booster, shorting shield to centre core and testing continuity at aerial end of lead............. all this wet weather can make for corroded fittings or a crack in shielding lets moisture in and it just shorts... Just replaced my shed TV aerial lead as I believe a Cocky had a nibble, moisture got in and stuffed it all.

ianm67

May 17, 2021
Rouse Hill
Assuming you had a signal in that area before I would firstly check that the connection on the aerial up top is done up tight, then remove the panel where the booster switch is, pull it off slowly as things can be tangled, check that the 3 aerial connectors are done up tight, have found them to be loose or undone completely......... other possibles are: booster to TV lead has a break (common as plugs are crap) test continuity or just swap out, the aerial lead from booster to aerial has a break, can test by unplugging lead at booster, shorting shield to centre core and testing continuity at aerial end of lead............. all this wet weather can make for corroded fittings or a crack in shielding lets moisture in and it just shorts... Just replaced my shed TV aerial lead as I believe a Cocky had a nibble, moisture got in and stuffed it all.
Thanks Drover will try

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Actually just check the TV to socket jumper cable is functioning first of all then follow up the rest................... recently had similar with my van TV when doing a check, found the FTA TV and my Sat wouldn't work either, as gloom started to set in as looked like dead TV found the FTA transmtter on hill had a black out and a new palm frond had blocked the Sat signal................... big smile all round then.......

ianm67

May 17, 2021
Rouse Hill
Still not working ran a cable from aerial straight into rear of booster still no signal
7E365207-2003-4DFA-BE2F-E591F79AF28F.jpeg

Attachments

• FCE3D05E-3A7E-44B8-816C-4EFFA7566B6E.jpeg
    FCE3D05E-3A7E-44B8-816C-4EFFA7566B6E.jpeg
    337.5 KB · Views: 141
  • ECB35B63-A08F-4A07-8108-9B594DF188EA.jpeg
    ECB35B63-A08F-4A07-8108-9B594DF188EA.jpeg
    151 KB · Views: 149

ianm67

May 17, 2021
Rouse Hill
Actually just check the TV to socket jumper cable is functioning first of all then follow up the rest................... recently had similar with my van TV when doing a check, found the FTA TV and my Sat wouldn't work either, as gloom started to set in as looked like dead TV found the FTA transmtter on hill had a black out and a new palm frond had blocked the Sat signal................... big smile all round then.......
What is a FTA

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
FTA is "Free To Air", Seven, Nine Ten ABC etc ......................

Okay so no change with cable swap what about the cable from TV to socket did you check that ??? Fit it to your house TV and see if it works, its all about eliminating each section of the system.

Plug TV into house aerial system and see if it works then at least you know its somewhere between TV and aerial ...

ianm67

May 17, 2021
Rouse Hill
FTA is "Free To Air", Seven, Nine Ten ABC etc ......................

Okay so no change with cable swap what about the cable from TV to socket did you check that ??? Fit it to your house TV and see if it works, its all about eliminating each section of the system.

Plug TV into house aerial system and see if it works then at least you know its somewhere between TV and aerial ...
I bought a new co-ax cable from booster to TV and also swapped the tv over with another one and swapped put the splitter with a new one. Still no signal, have you heard of a faulty going aerial

Middo

Apr 25, 2014
Brisbane
Be good if you can get someone to check the wiring out. We had the problem of only some channels and then at times loose the lot. Found someone in Brisbane who did caravans. Replaced aerial and all good now.

ianm67

May 17, 2021
Rouse Hill
Be good if you can get someone to check the wiring out. We had the problem of only some channels and then at times loose the lot. Found someone in Brisbane who did caravans. Replaced aerial and all good now.
That’s what I’m thinking it’s the aerial.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Certainly looking like aerial then, I have a dud hanging in my shed, the board had rotted from water ingress, you can crack it open and have a look at least to see if its just a dodgy connector..... If you have to replace it I'd go another Snowflake or a Saturn as they will pick up both Vertical and Horizontal transmissions.

ianm67

May 17, 2021
Rouse Hill
Certainly looking like aerial then, I have a dud hanging in my shed, the board had rotted from water ingress, you can crack it open and have a look at least to see if its just a dodgy connector..... If you have to replace it I'd go another Snowflake or a Saturn as they will pick up both Vertical and Horizontal transmissions.
In my investigations I took off all the coax connections from the back of the amplifier and I'm not sure if I have them in the correct order. I need a few Jayco owners to take a pic on the amplifier from inside of the cupboard so I can check if I put them back correctly.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
They are usually mashed into the space so tight trying to figure it out is hard, I know on my 14 one of the plugs fell off, a gorilla crimped the lead and chopped the wire... cable colour doesn't signify anything just what they had handy...... 2 of the points are amplified and one isn't so you have a 30% chance .