16' Series No Aerial signal still.

ianm67

May 17, 2021
Rouse Hill
I still have no signal with my new
WINSIG 4.0 retrofit TV Antenna  -  Australian made alternative to Winegard HV
WINSIG 4.0 aerial I have tried everything and now give up trying to troubleshoot. Does anyone have any suggestions on where or who I can call to come and fix
my problem?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Rouse Hill has a pretty patchy coverge on my coverage map, and RVs need good line of site and the elevation profile between it and the tower has some obsatcles, if surrounding house aerials are just on the roof should be okay but if they are on a high mast then maybe not so good for Rv's ....

ianm67

May 17, 2021
Rouse Hill
Rouse Hill has a pretty patchy coverge on my coverage map, and RVs need good line of site and the elevation profile between it and the tower has some obsatcles, if surrounding house aerials are just on the roof should be okay but if they are on a high mast then maybe not so good for Rv's ....
interesting, but I still had issues when I recently was camping at Batemans Bay

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Oh well it was worth a try......................... I would love to have a go at it, it all boils down to connections now really, it can be just a plug recently took ages to chase down a fault in my satellite connection which turned out to be a bad strip on a cable, meter was happy with it but not the STB, it was enough to kill the signal, so i just chopped off and replaced all the F type connectors to save stuffing aorund, a couple had a bit of water seep, so all good.

Just a thought you don't happen to have any led lights on at the same time do you ??? sometimes they will kill the TV signal so you think the aerial has been stolen.....

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I travel with a sat dish, with a VAST set up for FTA channels, most areas I visit may have terrible TV reception or none and I have a Foxtel box so I have an even wider selection of rubbish to view of an evening .................................... Sat dish I can have locked on in under 3 mins usually and with VAST I can actually watch my local news even when 2 states away............. my TV aerial chucked a wobbly a few months back and I had to go all over it to find the problem, even though I rarely use it, I'm a bit OCD in wanting things to be operable, I started with the TV plugged it into the shed circuit, tuned and working so then started testing the leads for continuity and that the re was power to mast, all checked but no signal, ran a jumper from booster in van direct to aerial, it worked and eventually found cracks in the cable where it runs into the mast to aerial had a couple of age cracks which had let in moisture, going by the corrosion of the shield must have been the cause while not enough to knock the power supply enough to disrupt the signal itself............ Having found what I think is the problem the fix is still under review, just waiting for one of those roundtuit day's to try a plan.

Plan #1 being cut cable before it goes inside, check its condition no corrosion then I will fit a joiner and run new cable up to aerial ....................... if its got corrosion then Plan#2 is look at how much stuffing around to run new cable inside, thankfully I took pics when the outer wall was off after hail damage, not looking good for an easy run .............. Plan#3 remove TV aerial replace with my Mobile 4G aerial and run a new cable into cupboard below where the Nighthawk lives, just wind up the mast and bingo, actually sounds the go .......... Might just bypass 1 and 2 and go to 3 ....... could stream local news if I want it at the proper time.............

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
I travel with a sat dish, with a VAST set up for FTA channels, most areas I visit may have terrible TV reception or none and I have a Foxtel box so I have an even wider selection of rubbish to view of an evening .................................... Sat dish I can have locked on in under 3 mins usually and with VAST I can actually watch my local news even when 2 states away............. my TV aerial chucked a wobbly a few months back and I had to go all over it to find the problem, even though I rarely use it, I'm a bit OCD in wanting things to be operable, I started with the TV plugged it into the shed circuit, tuned and working so then started testing the leads for continuity and that the re was power to mast, all checked but no signal, ran a jumper from booster in van direct to aerial, it worked and eventually found cracks in the cable where it runs into the mast to aerial had a couple of age cracks which had let in moisture, going by the corrosion of the shield must have been the cause while not enough to knock the power supply enough to disrupt the signal itself............ Having found what I think is the problem the fix is still under review, just waiting for one of those roundtuit day's to try a plan.

Plan #1 being cut cable before it goes inside, check its condition no corrosion then I will fit a joiner and run new cable up to aerial ....................... if its got corrosion then Plan#2 is look at how much stuffing around to run new cable inside, thankfully I took pics when the outer wall was off after hail damage, not looking good for an easy run .............. Plan#3 remove TV aerial replace with my Mobile 4G aerial and run a new cable into cupboard below where the Nighthawk lives, just wind up the mast and bingo, actually sounds the go .......... Might just bypass 1 and 2 and go to 3 ....... could stream local news if I want it at the proper time.............
@Drover , you may find that the corrosion has crept a fair way along the cable and it is impossible to re-solder a new section into the circuit or get an uncorroded end to put in a joiner. I have found that if a battery ( a dry cell alkaline or similar) has leaked and infected the wiring anywhere, then it has nearly always crept along under the insulation to the other end. May still be working, but so to is the corrosion eating away at the copper wire! Only answer is to replace cable and find a good clean terminating point.

ianm67

May 17, 2021
Rouse Hill

Can I have an idea of cost of Mobile 4G aerial please and how does it work?
I have an expanda how do I run a new cable into the van. and what is a Nighthawk? Pics would be good......:)

Thanks for your help too...........

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The Nighthawk is a mobile broadband hot spot router which we use at home as well as on the road as we don't have landline at home, it has aerial socket which is a must and I built a yagi antennae for home and its next to our TV aerial to pick up a good tower signal and in the van the Nighthawk sits in a holder and is plugged into a USB port which I fitted to keep it powered, a vehicle mobile di-pole is used as our travel aerial, it just slots into a holder on back of van when we need a better signal or can be extended higher if need for places like Lara Wetlands by using just a bit of 25mm conduit which actually serves as its travel case, cable runs inside near the Nighthawk with a thru wall F type TV connector.... I think if I fitted it to my TV mast it being so long would bash itself on the roof, one I did for my 14.44 was a smaller antennae .......... I have been using mobile broadband for our internet since about 2011 when the floods destroyed our phone at my old place. ith a poor phone signal my Nokia will connect thru my WiFi so my Nighthawk set up works well as a range extender and far cheaper than these dedicated units.............. my plan with Telstra is $59 for 75gb which when used up slows to 1.5mbs which is a pain but I can still stream movies if needed.... I think the Nighthawk is, depending on model expensive now while a vehicle aerial runs aorund the $150 mark, most important thing is that travelling out west if Telstra, your phone, mobile router, aerials must be able to receive 700mhz signals as this is what is mostly out that way, 850mhz is Optus, 5G, 1800 and 2100 you won't find find way out of the city............. Telstra is still the only one to have if you travel off the highways, the others don't.

1675219796407.png
.. Nighthawk M1 ..........................................aerial.jpg..... Mobile aerial on Big Mal.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Boots in Action

Jared01

Oct 28, 2016
Sydney
Wonder if I can help here.

I am located in a neighbouring suburb to Rouse Hill!

I need to take caravan out over the next 1-3 week to get rego check. Perhaps I can swing past your place, with my van, to see if my aerial and TV works at your location?

Can then try your TV on my aerial and perhaps my TV on your aerial (but I don't want to bust my TV though :) )

My aerial and TV are good.

Not too good with wiring and the coax side of things but this may be of some assistance? At the same time, not sure what it is going to prove.

Did read through your 2 threads and seems like you confirmed your TV is good (works inside), and you bought a new aerial, so might be wiring or booster.

My booster needs it's push button pushed in and then green light comes on etc.

Offer is there. If all else fails, I get my caravan service at https://www.paultall.com.au/ (Londonderry NSW) and highly rate them. My caravan has never seen Jayco ever since it was bought :)

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
@Drover , you may find that the corrosion has crept a fair way along the cable and it is impossible to re-solder a new section into the circuit or get an uncorroded end to put in a joiner. I have found that if a battery ( a dry cell alkaline or similar) has leaked and infected the wiring anywhere, then it has nearly always crept along under the insulation to the other end. May still be working, but so to is the corrosion eating away at the copper wire! Only answer is to replace cable and find a good clean terminating point.
Hence Plan#2 or Plan#3 ................... but a loop where it exited the boom before it went into the roof may be a saviour, find out on Roundtoit Day.............. A scene I have visited many times with vehicle 2 way set ups..............

ianm67

May 17, 2021
Rouse Hill
Wonder if I can help here.

I am located in a neighbouring suburb to Rouse Hill!

I need to take caravan out over the next 1-3 week to get rego check. Perhaps I can swing past your place, with my van, to see if my aerial and TV works at your location?

Can then try your TV on my aerial and perhaps my TV on your aerial (but I don't want to bust my TV though :) )

My aerial and TV are good.

Not too good with wiring and the coax side of things but this may be of some assistance? At the same time, not sure what it is going to prove.

Did read through your 2 threads and seems like you confirmed your TV is good (works inside), and you bought a new aerial, so might be wiring or booster.

My booster needs it's push button pushed in and then green light comes on etc.

Offer is there. If all else fails, I get my caravan service at https://www.paultall.com.au/ (Londonderry NSW) and highly rate them. My caravan has never seen Jayco ever since it was bought :)
Thank you very much for the offer. My TV is fine had it working on my last trip when I used the parks aerial socket to directly connect to TV. It's definitely something to do with the booster or the wiring. As you saw I bought a brand new aerial and still have the issue. Most likely I wasted money buying the new aerial when the real problem was the wiring/booster. I think to avoid any more frustration I will take it to your service guy.

JohngQld

Jun 17, 2015
Caboolture, Qld
I still have no signal with my new
WINSIG 4.0 retrofit TV Antenna  -  Australian made alternative to Winegard HV
WINSIG 4.0 aerial I have tried everything and now give up trying to troubleshoot. Does anyone have any suggestions on where or who I can call to come and fix
my problem?
Hi Ian,
Can you take the TV inside and connect to the antenna for your home TV and confirm it is getting stations. In any case it may be worth doing a rescan of the channels. This would 100% rule out the TV if you still can't get channels in the van.

John

ianm67

May 17, 2021
Rouse Hill
Hi Ian,
Can you take the TV inside and connect to the antenna for your home TV and confirm it is getting stations. In any case it may be worth doing a rescan of the channels. This would 100% rule out the TV if you still can't get channels in the van.

John
Will do, but I'm 100% sure it's not the TV

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
In the other thread I think I outlined a step by step..................
You said earlier the TV worked when you plugged a park cable into van then that clears the TV so to the jumper from wall socket to TV , leaving only the booster power and the cable up to the aerial, you stated light is on booster when you push the button, some aerials will have a led which glows when power is on it, not sure if your new one does though, any way by elimination if the previous is correct it narrows down to the cable from booster to aerial is the possible fault, remove the mast cable from back of winegard booster and with button on test if power to outlet, should be 12v, if good reconnect and test end of cable at mast head, also do a continuity test on the cable..........

Like @JohngQld said when i start the fault find I will tune the TV in using a working source then start the elimination of cables and sockets.... so far from what you said the cable from booster to aerial is the most likely suspect cable or connectors, though the connectors are the most simple of them all.

The back of the winegard booster has 3 connections, one being a boosted signal IN from aerial, one being an unboosted signal from external source and one being an outlet to an external TV, usually socket on LH side of van.....

ianm67

May 17, 2021
Rouse Hill
In the other thread I think I outlined a step by step..................
You said earlier the TV worked when you plugged a park cable into van then that clears the TV so to the jumper from wall socket to TV , leaving only the booster power and the cable up to the aerial, you stated light is on booster when you push the button, some aerials will have a led which glows when power is on it, not sure if your new one does though, any way by elimination if the previous is correct it narrows down to the cable from booster to aerial is the possible fault, remove the mast cable from back of winegard booster and with button on test if power to outlet, should be 12v, if good reconnect and test end of cable at mast head, also do a continuity test on the cable..........

Like @JohngQld said when i start the fault find I will tune the TV in using a working source then start the elimination of cables and sockets.... so far from what you said the cable from booster to aerial is the most likely suspect cable or connectors, though the connectors are the most simple of them all.

The back of the winegard booster has 3 connections, one being a boosted signal IN from aerial, one being an unboosted signal from external source and one being an outlet to an external TV, usually socket on LH side of van.....
Will give it a go