Night time Heating options

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Oil Filled Column heater is a quiet safe option, one of the half sized ones should be enough to warm the Van. When our kids were little we were in the Old Jayco Jaylark we shared with a kid in each end that way on a cold night we knew they were warm enough

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Carpet on the floor helps with keeping inside warm. Small quiet quality fan heater with cut out and thermostat overnight if on mains power with no problems. Ibis on low until bed time if it's really cold.
Mrs XF and I use special caravan double sleepingbag and are never cold. Use it as underlay and doona and dont zip sides. Granddaughters have pink sleeping bags and use them more as doonas. No complaints. The hollow fill filling stuff is very light but warm. Just avoid slippery fabrics that slide off if the young one isn't ready to be zipped in.

Hiluxpanda

Mar 20, 2013
cheers! When you say a fan heater with a cut out what do you mean xpanda? Have you ever had any concerns about safety with a fan heater?

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
We use iceman sleeping bags, l'm going to take on the additional plastic covers over the privacy screens too. we also run the heater as Xpandafan talks of and we've too notice the underbody insulation has help too under foot (can view from from link in my signature).

All else fails, scotch/ whiskey or red wine.

Cheers Pace.

Reactions: Xpandafan

Hiluxpanda

Mar 20, 2013
Cheers pace. Interested on your design thoughts about the plastic screens. Have you any ideas?

Tayla

Mar 9, 2013
Melbourne, Victoria
My 3 yr old wont sleep in a sleeping bag yet, doesnt like the feeling of restirction, we throw her in a jumpsuit that's fleecy, but the little hands and face get pretty icey. Might be a good chance to see if we can pick up a princess pink sleeping bag and see if she likes it!

Do you live in vic? Snugtime have their winter factory sale in Dingley Village on this weekend. I buy the kids sleepsuits there every year. They have some really thick ones great for camping.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
cheers! When you say a fan heater with a cut out what do you mean xpanda? Have you ever had any concerns about safety with a fan heater?
Never had a problem to far, but cautious old man. I do like auto cut out if overheating, fan obstruction or tip over. Always leave a bit of ventilation too. Window slightly open on awning side, one of the roof hatches slightly open or the ensuite hatch. Avoids stuffiness and any condensation.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Another option is electric blankets, you could get he waterproof ones for the kidlets! Lowest setting would probably be enough.

Cootay

Jul 15, 2012
Engadine, NSW
I made some waterproof bed ends are borrowing the idea from someone else on here. Really helps with the insulation (also run a fan heater, but now gets too hot with the bed ends). Bunnings sell the plastic - 5m covers one end <$50, plus $5 for a press stud kit. Initially I took a few of the privacy screen studs off, but now have improved by leaving the privacy screen on and adding a couple of press studs next to the privacy screen ones, so the plastic and privacy screen can live happily together

Attachments

• IMG_0698.JPG
    IMG_0698.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 257
Reactions: Tayla

kavs

Dec 30, 2012
Kalgoorlie, WA
We have just bought some electric blankets for ours (1queen, 2 singles), interested to see how they go. But i am still abit concerned about the air temp inside the van and was hoping the reverse cycle would cope, will have to trial and error!

Kimberley D

Sep 13, 2012
Darwin
When we bought our second hand 2007 van the seller gave us a heads up on using a small fan heater, or the likes, for heating instead of the airconditioner. They burnt out the heater element when using it for heating, which the aircon repairer told them is not uncommon, after a $406 bill. We have a box aircon.

04diesel

Oct 20, 2012
brisbane
We went away to the Springs 4wd park out the other side of Warwick a few weeks ago,got down to about 3deg's during the night, we found that the cold came up through the mattress eventhough we have an eggcreate foam on top and a mattress protector aswell, we froze during the night despite having enough blankets covering us. This last weekend we went upto landcruiser mountain park up near Jimna and decided to try a survival blanket under the mattress to see if it would stop the cold coming in from underneath,with similar temp to the springs the difference was very noticable with little or no cold coming u through the mattress.

Reactions: pace9908

greynt

Dec 15, 2012
Yarra Valley
Might give my 2 cents worth. I made clear PVC screens for my panda and found they work well. I used the .3mm thick stuff from Bunnings. Press studs from flea bay. Tried using Velcro to begin with but wouldn't hold weight of PVC. I also attached studs to the bottom of the bed end so it seals pretty well. I take mine off when we pack up and leave the privacy screens on with the clear screens when set up and needed. We are trying to decide what heating, have had the ceramic style recommended by friends.
Cheers
greynt

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
The clear plastic bed ends we made up insulate very well and with a blow heater we are all toasty!
I also have found that having the curtain closed keeps the warmth in better too

Reactions: Xpandafan