Night time Heating options

Hiluxpanda

Mar 20, 2013
Hi guys,

Heading into winter and facing a 3 week trip away with a 3 yr old and 1 yr old around victoria in July, i am a little concerned about keeping us all warm at night. We can use the reverse ccle aircon i guess, and we have bought a fan heater for the annexe that works amazingly well, but wondering what you guys all do?

A few weeks back we were in Tumut and i noticed our 3 yr old who sleeps in the double bed at the other end was pretty cold at night and when we ran the reverse cycle, it was clicking on and off all night which was actually a bit noisy. Maybe i should read up a bit about how to set it to run just on low and not keep cutting out.

Keen to hear your thoughts!

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Have you looked into the canvas bed ends for more insulation? I have not got them yet but from all reports they improve the temps in the bed ends considerably. I have only used our van on a couple of cold nights and just had the heat on loon just to take the chill off.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
If you are on power I would try a small fan heater (possibly same as one in the annex)
They heat up the van in no time and aren't too noisy.
Most have a thermostat

Hiluxpanda

Mar 20, 2013
have looked into them but probably a bit ouf o the question in terms of cost. Im thinking of making some PVC bed end weather sheilds to put up over the privacy screens when it is raining to keep the rain off the canvas.

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
If on a powered site then why not use a fan heater in the van? Some people use oil filled column heaters.
We are away in July also and I have just installed a Truma gas heater......have a look at my thread re this....
Bill

Hiluxpanda

Mar 20, 2013
If you are on power I would try a small fan heater (possibly same as one in the annex)
They heat up the van in no time and aren't too noisy.
Most have a thermostat

Have thought of that. Are they safe to use in a van all night? just a bit worried about fire risk.

Hiluxpanda

Mar 20, 2013
If on a powered site then why not use a fan heater in the van? Some people use oil filled column heaters.
We are away in July also and I have just installed a Truma gas heater......have a look at my thread re this....
Bill

Will have a look cheers bill. Just worried about how safe a fan heater is in a van.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Do the kids sleep in sleeping bags or doonas?

I find sleeping bags to be much warmer and a blanket over the top if required works well.
Don't forget a trip report whenb you get back too :)

Hiluxpanda

Mar 20, 2013
My 3 yr old wont sleep in a sleeping bag yet, doesnt like the feeling of restirction, we throw her in a jumpsuit that's fleecy, but the little hands and face get pretty icey. Might be a good chance to see if we can pick up a princess pink sleeping bag and see if she likes it!

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
We had heavy duty vinyl ends made up for our Victoria trip last year. We would put the heater on medium about 4pm and then turn it low overnight. Our van remained warm overnight. So much so that we didn't even need the doonas

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
We had our made at our local canvas/ vinyl business. We paid $550 for both ends. They slid onto sail track along the inside ridge on the lid

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
My 3 yr old wont sleep in a sleeping bag yet, doesnt like the feeling of restirction, we throw her in a jumpsuit that's fleecy, but the little hands and face get pretty icey. Might be a good chance to see if we can pick up a princess pink sleeping bag and see if she likes it!
These are a pretty good kids sleeping bag and it comes in pink. Maybe to get her use to it sleep with it open at home like a doona then by time the trip comes around she maybe use to it.

Yes its a spring autumn bag but a blanket over the top keep the cooler air off it.

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
For your 3 year old you can get blanket sleepers. They are like an over sized wonder suit with the rating of 2-3 blankEts. we bought our heavy weight ones from David jones when our 9 year old was little

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
The waterproof bed ends make a huge difference to keeping the cold out.
but we also have one of those small foot heaters pointed into the direction of the kids end.
When really cold it just cuts in and out as required.

we do not need the heater as much for our end because there is nothing better than keeping warm in a van using the snuggle method. :)

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
but we also have one of those small foot heaters pointed into the direction of the kids end.

we do not need the heater as much for our end because there is nothing better than keeping warm in a van using the snuggle method. :)
That's not what my wife says!:(

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
Adelaide in July is not warm. We did it last year in our Swift. Extra clothing on kids including sox and fan heater on low. Kept the camper warm and since we weren't paying the power bill............

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW

TMI