Newbie Wannabe Panda owner has joined :)

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Ok seriously considering this van in NSW. WTF! Started out with 30 grand hahahaha.
Ok I have trolled through various posts about toolboxes and somehow they all end up talking about food pretty quick :) So need some quick advice. Ok reason for the extended draw? bar is it just the tool box issue? Or do you think it is better for other reasons? I have a cruiser with fold down tailgate. Also anyone with a 17 expanda can give me the height to the opening lid on the front? My Honda 2kva is approx 440mm high! I assume the honda will run the air con or heating (may look at diesel down the track.) We have never had these luxuries before and think it will not be used much but you never know :) And the Honda is good for repairs and if you have aflat battery . So It does look like I have room for a decent box and push the bottles forward and closer together so will sit in the middle. Spare will go to the back so that will help balance things out and a 3rd water tank will also go back. I never want to have enough water for at least 14 days. Only need to get another waeco or engel now!
Reviews on the SETEC charger any good I had a Ctek 25amp in the camper ,freaking awesome.

We haven't got the longer drawbar simply because we didn't think we needed it and so far we haven't had a drama, that said the longer drawbay is definetly an advantage if you want to fit a toolbox to the front. Can't advise on the height to the door but I think its in the vicinity of 480mm.

As far as SETEC or Ctek we have both SETEC for trickle charging the batteries (2x110AH) when at home or at a caravan park on power, Ctek D250S and Ctek Smartpass for DC/DC charging while driving and unpowered / free camping charging from the solar panels (2x120W). Never had a problem with the SETEC, just the way I wanted to set my system up. The SETEC does an admirable job for what it is but I like the Ctek for the DC / DC charging

Dave

Stephen Galvin

May 20, 2014
Warnbro WA
The van has a solar voltage regulator on the side of the stove and water tank meter as well by the couch ( dumb place to fit the solar regulator !why not keep electronic all together) I will sort it.

So the SETEC that comes with the van is it just trickle or does it output 10-15amps? I am hoping one 120 solar panel will be ok? as only running lights and tv ? actually wont be as I will be running an extra fridge freezer so will need an extra battery and possibly panel I had two 85wattt ones before and they worked very well running a waeco 60l fridge freezer and all the kids toys, No TV but 2 laptops and kids games were always on the go.
I have a voltage regulator under the bonnet that feeds 8 amps back to van/camper through an anderson plug , This keeps power nicely to the camper and always arrived with full batteries. I will change the setup over to this setup when I get it.

What I did have in my camper that worked well was i could via an anderson plug unplug the batteries in the camper and run a lead with anderson plugs to the car which I had a plug wired to my batteries then start the geni and charge the car up with 25amp charger this worked well when we were just hanging around and the fridge was running car batteries down. Was quicker than running the car and more cost effective. ( unless it was freezing then I ran the car and turned the heaters on and read a book hahaha.

Actually just found this pic on a standard bar Looks like a perfect match easy to do and takes the honda and babyQ with room for hoses and covers so sorted. just need to read up on on how jayco manage power as Im sure its not up to free camping for long periods? I will ask those that maybe use these stone guards what they think of them? I had on the camper and it through heaps of rocks at the back of the car and i saw heaps of broken back windows as a result on my travels. I may look at the underslung style .

Also hitches I had a Hyland hitch and it worked well I don't think a fixed hitch is up to off road with gullies and stuff and I worry a bit about if the van rolled would it take the car with it? Thats why I like the swivel style but Im think these Pin style are bit hard to line up ? Thoughts?

jeezus look at me! I am like kid with a new toy and I haven't even signed on the dotted line what will I be like when i get it! I wonder how long before I am kicked off the forum as a pest hahaha.

image-jpg.jpg

Stephen Galvin

May 20, 2014
Warnbro WA
Apologies the pic above is on the extended drawbar Buggar! Its perfect.

This one is on a standard I might still be able to extend the gas bottle out and have something this size in the middle But an extended drawbar would be perfect. But then I am getting a very good deal on this other one :)
image-jpg.jpg

Stephen Galvin

May 20, 2014
Warnbro WA
Holy Sh*% I am now the proud owner of a 2014 Outback I am officially a Grey Nomad ( At 47:) Well I will be driving to Griffiths and the family flying to Adelaide and we will nut it out on the way back across for school holidays.
Would love to have bought local but I got close to 6grand off with all the extras!! so standard drawbar will have to do. I will nut out something cool for the front to house the geni and Barbie!

17.56-2 OB expanda 2014

Roof top air con

Wind up antenna

Stereo with external speakers

Control panel

120 watt solar panel and 30 amp reg

22 lt hot water unit gas and 240 volt

Bed end flies

150 lt dometic rm2553 fridge

External shower

Extra water tank 82 lt

Nsw permit

Caravan cover

Thrown In
3rd water tank and sensors
Stereo with external and internal speakers
External Shower
control panel is coast to coast but upgrading to drifter.
Ariel setup no TV - kogan here I come :) Actually not a biggy we don't go away to watch TV And the news is always depressing!
Caravan cover

Thats it I know the electrics will need some additions to make it better and look forward to some good welding jobs watch this space :)

Holy Sh*^ I still dont believe it talk about impulsive!!

Stephen Galvin

May 20, 2014
Warnbro WA
Thanks diagree look forward to it and maybe meeting a few others at some sites
The draw bar is a bit of n issue but I will work it out :)Probably have to change the hitch for any decent big trips but will see how it goes then theres just the electrical side so driving back to WA will be a good test and when we get here I can start hacking it to pieces :) Its a beast for sure Loving the green and black.

halbster

May 13, 2014
Well done looks like a great deal there. We glanced at that model and the as displayed (similar spec'd to yours) price was 52K +

Stephen Galvin

May 20, 2014
Warnbro WA
Hyundai I30 is the tow vehicle :)

Nah thats the wifes car ( don't tell anyone but I actually like driving it:) 2002 100 series GXV already towed a trailer around oz in it.

don't be rude I just realized I don't own a house but a caravan!

Yeah I had to buy it at that price, it was an order that fell through and I couldn't believe it as I was struggling with what I wanted and what I could afford this popped up and yeah specced with what it has in Perth was around 53grand. Without working them at all! I probably could have pushed them a bit. And They were very good at the dealers I was just really lucky to see this when I did about 5 minutes after it was posted. It was meant to be :) I would have rather dealt in WA but deals are deals.

Even if it is in NSW family will be booked tomorrow to fly over can get airfares for 600 bucks for the four of them one way to Adelaide me and the dog will take 10 days to cruise over bond together (stink the car out) and Hopefully get some flights along the way (On my flyin machine) Hope to fly early morn and arvos And drive for about 8 to 10hrs a day or not . Girls will be flying over on 8th of July.
Anyone in NSW or SA can recommend good places to stock the van with all the cooking essentials and who has the best deals on Webbers? I need a few days to sort all the kitchen don't be rude out before I pick up the girls ie pots pans etc can get it fro SA as well. So I am open to tips from people on what they have modded what works well in there vans.

In fact don't hold back show me what you guys have done especially keen on what has been done with peiople that free camp for long periods? Who has pushed there vans in harsher environments?

So anyone got SA info on where we should go done KI basically West of Adelaide is what we will do. Maybe even go and dig up some opals to get some cash back on our van I here there just layin around :)

Cant believe it I ask everyone to will my shares to go up and they fall 2 1/2% overnight!!!!! I may have to leave this forum you guys are bad karma hahahahaha.

Reactions: dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Available from a place is called QC Technologies on Great Eastern Highway just east of Tonkin Hwy overpass..... Had a look there but didn't have the size I wanted!