Newbie Wannabe Panda owner has joined :)

Stephen Galvin

May 20, 2014
Warnbro WA
Hi all just thought I would introduce myself.
Family of five 3 small girls already done a 12 month trip around Oz in a Complete Campsite Uluru in 2009 here's a blog we (I) did more photographic album with bad writeups :) http://thegalvinsadventure.blogspot.com.au/
Anyway she served us well but time to move on as sick of setting up and I cant do it alone, and sometimes a man needs his space :) But the family loves going away together and we have found the expanda to be the best fit we think for us. Like the look of the 17.56.2 dinette version as it will sleep us all without having to fold down a table and the kids nook under the top bunk looks like it would work well. looking for good second hand one in WA if possible but prices seem a bit high considering what a new one costs and the extras that are now standard. In fact I want and had a look today and was well impressed as we do a few decent tracks and I was hoping to get at least simplicity suspension but dont seem to be a lot around? But the new J-Tech looks awesome and now Solar is standard as well as a few other items.. I almost was going to sign up for a new one :) but maybe later. Anyway to much for us as I know I have to then spend a few more grand on making it right for free camping on the West Aussie coast and places like Quabba . heaps of water being one. Anyway some nice mods on this forum from users . And if anyone has one for sale ? could even go a 16 for now if right price but would want the dinette to turn into a bed as the missus wants the shower ( Im happy to set up an external one outside) but I have put her through some tough spots with no showers for a couple of weeks and if I want to stay in the good books! well you know what I mean :)

Anyway hopefully very soon we will have one.
Galvo

GUlewis

Feb 6, 2013
Perth
G'day Galvo and welcome. Good choice on van mate but I dont like your chances of picking one up second hand here in Perth, atleast, for a reasonable price. If I were you I'd go new, some good changes made over the previous model, including that trick coil suspension, plus you can customise it the way you want it. One thing I reckon is worth while getting is an extended draw bar and later on down the track shift the spare to the rear on a drop down carrier, then you can hang a canvas bag off that for your rubbish, sullage hoses, ect. I have a 2013 17.56.2, so far its been pretty good, only had to have the ensuite walls replaced due to bulging thanks to Perth's crazy summer just gone, van nearly melted under the cover. Bit of dust proofing helps and I've towed it around the goldfields and mid west on dirt roads and its held up well. Been pretty reliable, touch wood.
Lewis.

Reactions: Stephen Galvin

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Welcome, the Expandas have held their value well and seem to sell quickly, good luck with the hunt, you may need to travel for that perfect van.

Stephen Galvin

May 20, 2014
Warnbro WA
Thanks guys
Actually I am shocked at the prices some are asking for older vans? Especially as the new vans now have a great standard feature list? In fact on a new van I think I would only need to add an Ariel plus TV non essential item in my book ! (may do that myself as a thousand bucks seamed a bit rich but my labour is free :) another 80l tank giving me three as we like to get to our spot and stay there, a good inverter and 2nd battery ( for nespresso:) But now most of the features that are standard are what were extras in the past. Even the rear bar is solid so easy to build a spare tire bracket or add a reese style hitch for bike racks etc Rhino has some good fold down bike racks as well But in all honesty if going on tracks forget the bikes we trashed ours! Ok for bitumen.

I did miss out on a 17.56.2 that had a great setup with three tanks solar and inverter in Albany it went for $39500 2010 model but still that held value really well for 2nd owner. I have seen 2010 models advertised for 45grand without all the trick features or there extras are what is now standard so for extra 6 grand you can buy new! There is a 2013 model in Denmark WA 17.56.1 model has portable solar and comes with the hitch as well advertised for 43 grand and I know the history it has travelled from QLD to Perth on the bitumen and thats it! stored under cover as well so only need to add water and outdoor shower setup with hot water so that could be a good option but as mentioned it does not have the trick suspension? How much better is this suspension than the standard spring setup? Do all the previous outbacks come with underslung axles?

I am prone to making decisions fast which could have us at Mitchell plateau or somewhere else. But the Kimberley is my favorite place in the world. ( I used to do off road tours up there) The best spots I cant take the van though :( But a swag comes in handy:) Yeah after reading through the posts the extended drawbar is a must as will need a box for sure for the geni and BabyQ camp ovens etc My flying machine will go inside ( now thats got you wondering :)

One thing I will be doing no matter if I end up buying new or second hand once I have it the way I want it is I will spray the rubberised stone guard all underneath and all bar work. It was unbelievable how after towing my camper around OZ Tanami, Gibb, Savannah way and many others the front toolbox and drawbar were in perfect condition no stone chips or anything and I didn't have a stone guard after a track north of Cooktown. (which I wont have again as it trashed the back of the cruiser those rocks just fire back at the car! I will look at the loose fitted net from back of car to van and better flaps? Yet all painted surfaces that were exposed were chipped to the proverbial. It does fade I found Armorall good for bring back to life and protecting it from fading!

Still no sure which way to go as 51 grand new and another 5 grand for extras is just to much to abuse :) but then again I looked at others and 80 grand is a lot of wad for a bed :) And what seems to be around for 28-30Gs? Freight from East coast is around $3800 costs more to drive and pick up. And that cash could go to extras so will try and stay in WA but may have to go interstate.

I am a bit excited about getting into it and doing the mods and customizing it for us and our style of living.

Will keep reading over posts as helps with final decision on what works and doesnt.

Stephen Galvin

May 20, 2014
Warnbro WA
It does give you confidence when something does hold its value so well :) I lost 50% of my camper value in 5 years but then again it was lived in for a whole year and many other trips and it did go everywhere man! Even had a wheel overtake me on fire once at 100kmh:) while i was gauging a strip down the tarmac with an axle for 300m And the car behind me was putting out all the spot fires :) Ah love a good adventure.

Stephen Galvin

May 20, 2014
Warnbro WA
Lewis that was interesting about the van May have to keep some sort of ventilation going somehow even when stored? It is freaking hot here in summer!

GUlewis

Feb 6, 2013
Perth
Yeah it sure does, bit of an exaggeration though on my part with the van melting, but I have seen 58 degrees on the fridge thermometer when I had to climb in for something during the day. I have one of those caravan covers which I guess is a contributing factor.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Welcome on board @Stephen Galvin from a fellow "sandgroper" :)
We went through the same as you are contemplating.... Looked around for a second hand upgrade for our 2007 16.49.3. Wanted an Outback and hard bed either 16' or 17'.
Understand what you mean by not many out there and the prices being asked :o... Found two 17'ers over a three week period and cheapest was $42K and it had been around Oz twice but Kalgoorlie was a bit far to go looking out of interest! Other one was local but they were asking $48K for a 2012 model.
Called into Caravanland to have a look at the 2013 floorplan and they had just taken delivery of three 2014 model 17'ers.... Ended up walking out with a receipt for a deposit one one of them... Best thing we ever did!!

Stephen Galvin

May 20, 2014
Warnbro WA
Hi Diagree My inlaws are in Heathridge and have a different model jayco and love it does only hwy work but a lot of it going east all the time to shoots.
How have you found Caravan land? I didn't think much of the guy in the used section but Tim from the new sales seemed good. But doesn't look like they will budge or offer anything? How did you get on were you able to squeeze them a bit? Can get one delivered mid August but then This mob in Griffiths is making it really hard to not go new!!!!! http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/griffith/caravan/2014-jayco-expanda-poptop-outback-17-56-2/1043069608 Does this look like the extended draw bar?
How good does it look and look at the extra clearance with this new suspension! and its the exact one and same decor I was wanting if I went new!!

Maybe I was sitting in yours :) Bathroom works well :)

Tough gig just going to stand out on the local street corner now to see if I can prostitute myself out !! :) How about a kickstarter from the group to help me along We could make it if you donate 10 bucks I will drop in on my adventures as I drive past for a coffee and chat if you donate $50 I will drive on by and not pester you :) hahaha , Honestly though that outfit is the ducks nuts!!

Lewis is there not a roof vent that can be left open? maybe get a canvas mesh cover that can allow venting or leave a window open under the cover? Easy to get to 60C plus inside a locked up vehicle in our summer. And that could do a lot of damage to the glue and laminex possibly?

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Hi Stephen, We found Nick and Jim from Jaycoland to be excellent... But then again we have known Jim for 6 years ;)
As ours was one of the first 2014 models to be built it was built on a 2013 chassis with leaf springs but doesn't bother us as they are a proven setup and got a good discount ($1200) due to not having the independent suspension.

As we signed up the week before the Caravan & Camping Show we managed to negotiate an extra $1000 as a show special and a free TV aerial and booster fitted.

They also through in a couple of extra bottles of toilet chemicals... maybe due to you trying it out:confused:

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
The one in Griffith looks like it is new.... They are a Jayco dealer.
Draw bar doesn't look like it's an extended one in the pics but I would suggest getting one if you go new.
Unfortunately they don't have a price on it to compare what we paid as it has almost the same specs apart from the coil suspension!

Stephen Galvin

May 20, 2014
Warnbro WA
To Funny Yeah its brand new so no waiting. I have emailed and asked about the drawbar and cooktop. To me the microwave is useless and I will be tossing it aside but the oven would be handy, Its an upgrade i would get for us. That way baking cakes for the kids and roast dinners stays on the menu. if not I would probably get a cobb or something . most places we go a campfire is ok but summer its always out of the question at most places.
Out of curiosity as its not in the brochure how much longer do you get on the draw bar? This bar looked long enough for a tool box on the front with bottles on the sides or in the middle in front. ? Pictures can be deceiving though! I need a spot for barbie and Honda 2kva geni I already have. The gas lines do look a bit well untidy? and fragile so when I move the bottles I would fit braided ones( i mean get a plumber to fit them:)
Listen to me it's like I am buying this bloody one.
I've Got some options on Alcoa lets everyone will it to rally hard this week :) Then I might be able to join in the Toodyay get together hahaha.

Hey isnt there a caravan show on now somewhere? Maybe I should find out where and see if there is a show special? if there is I could hit them up for it here :) looks like a big one in QLD 4th to 10th of June.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
The extended drawbar is 300mm longer. Have an ali box to go on ours and have sized it up and will fit no probs just not sure how we'll go with the bikes on the back of the car but there are ways to get around things.

Our cooker of choice is the Weber baby Q... can cook almost anything in it and can use it in all weather conditions :)

Good to see you will be doing the same as me by employing a plumber when the new bayonet fitting gets fitted and the gas lines extended when I move them to fit the ali box ;)

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Hey isnt there a caravan show on now somewhere? Maybe I should find out where and see if there is a show special? if there is I could hit them up for it here :) looks like a big one in QLD 4th to 10th of June.
Welcome to the forum Gavo. Yes there is a caravan show in Brissie next month and I (plus a number of other members ) will be there. I have promised to leave my credit card at home but I will be happy to help you spend your cash. :D

Reactions: dagree

GUlewis

Feb 6, 2013
Perth
Gavo, I reckon you could leave the ensuite vent hatch partially open to allow the heat to escape, you'd want be sure your cover is water resistant as I know mines not, allows a little bit to seep through the fabric, but it keeps the sun off atleast.

Stephen Galvin

May 20, 2014
Warnbro WA
Might be better off putting the bikes on the back of the tvan as the bumper bar is pretty solid Rhino do a good one that you can remove a pin and i folds back, It holds four bikes easily. And has the advantage of folding up without removing when not in use.

Hi Chartrock Can you work some magic and get me a great deal :) now all we need is financial crisis to make the companies a bit more keen :) I reckon a show special just might get the financial adviser across the line :)

Stephen Galvin

May 20, 2014
Warnbro WA
Ok seriously considering this van in NSW. WTF! Started out with 30 grand hahahaha.
Ok I have trolled through various posts about toolboxes and somehow they all end up talking about food pretty quick :) So need some quick advice. Ok reason for the extended draw? bar is it just the tool box issue? Or do you think it is better for other reasons? I have a cruiser with fold down tailgate. Also anyone with a 17 expanda can give me the height to the opening lid on the front? My Honda 2kva is approx 440mm high! I assume the honda will run the air con or heating (may look at diesel down the track.) We have never had these luxuries before and think it will not be used much but you never know :) And the Honda is good for repairs and if you have aflat battery . So It does look like I have room for a decent box and push the bottles forward and closer together so will sit in the middle. Spare will go to the back so that will help balance things out and a 3rd water tank will also go back. I never want to have enough water for at least 14 days. Only need to get another waeco or engel now!
Reviews on the SETEC charger any good I had a Ctek 25amp in the camper ,freaking awesome.

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Hi @Stephen Galvin welcome to the forum, dido with all the comments above, the expandas as with alot of the vans have certainly held their value, good luck with your search though. We were in the same position looking for a second hand van but ended up opting to buy new as the second hand prices were right up there.