New van owner

Fatboy22

Jun 26, 2022
Airlie beach
Hi guys

We have recently purchased jayco Expanda 17 ft 2018 model

we have j35 model b inverter etc

I can't seem to bring up the setting menu on the control panel. I have held it down etc as explained. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions before I take it to auto leccy

also, is it recommended to leave battery on and charging when not using van , or turn the battery off. It's stored out side with solar charging,

thanks

Hitting the road

Jan 14, 2022
Brisbane
Our good mate Drover should be by shortly to give you a steer I am sure.
I've got the same BMPRO BMS in my 2018 Outback. i didn't have any issue when making adjustments to the set up via the control panel. Just held down the buttons as required to get the menu up so can't assist there. I added battery capacity to my van so increased the amps from the 100 it came with to the 280 amps it has now.

If the van is outside with the solar panel operating i wouldn't worry about leaving it on the charger as well. There shouldn't be any draw when all is switched off besides the BMS itself pulling a few milliamps to operate. (make sure of course the 12v is switched on). The BMS will auto switch to solar and plug away...that should also show up on the control panel with the amps being generated by the solar panel.

Reactions: Drover

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Hi guys

We have recently purchased jayco Expanda 17 ft 2018 model

we have j35 model b inverter etc

I can't seem to bring up the setting menu on the control panel. I have held it down etc as explained. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions before I take it to auto leccy

also, is it recommended to leave battery on and charging when not using van , or turn the battery off. It's stored out side with solar charging,

thanks
If everything is connected correctly and you cannot get the menu up, perhaps there is insufficient power in battery?? If the BMpro J35 has auto shut down because the battery voltage has dropped below 10.5 volts, you will get nothing until battery has been charged up to approx 12.8 volts, and this will have to be done by an independent charger. The solar and 240 volt charger in van will not charge the van battery initially. You can down-load the manual for this model if you don't have one. Then read it carefully - cover to cover - so you get to know what's what. This situation has come up frequently before on this forum. Have you got a multimeter to check battery voltage? If battery low, connect up a "smart" charger for at least an overnight charge. You can also remove battery for a bench test and charge if this is easier. @Drover will probably give you the same directions. Good luck!

Fatboy22

Jun 26, 2022
Airlie beach
Thanks so much,

I can turn the control panel on , but I can't enter the actual menu. I hold down the setting button for 5 seconds as recommend but still can't enter it. I can't change the time etc.

All the lights etc work, and the battery seems to hold up well, and charge up great,

thanks

Attachments

• 4DC88ECE-1806-482E-906A-2A3F5DB4DA4E.jpeg
    4DC88ECE-1806-482E-906A-2A3F5DB4DA4E.jpeg
    313.7 KB · Views: 153

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Ditto to what @Boots in Action said along with if the battery is actually fully charged then I would go back to scratch, disconnect the battery and charge it up on the bench, turn off the solar and disconnect the 240 so the BMPro is fully shut down and goes dead, so leave it fully shut down until battery charger says battery is fully juiced then connect it all back up, a clean reboot on the BM Pro can be just like a Puta or phone, the problem can go away.....

With van camped outside just leave the solar to keep the battery all charged up is the way to go, your battery will be kept happy, the display screen may be dodgy anything from a dirty contact, plug or just plain stuffed, unplug it and reconnect.... the moist weather of late hasn't been kind to connections on a lot of things.

My rig lives outside and solar keeps the batteries nicely charged at all times.

Fatboy22

Jun 26, 2022
Airlie beach
Ditto to what @Boots in Action said along with if the battery is actually fully charged then I would go back to scratch, disconnect the battery and charge it up on the bench, turn off the solar and disconnect the 240 so the BMPro is fully shut down and goes dead, so leave it fully shut down until battery charger says battery is fully juiced then connect it all back up, a clean reboot on the BM Pro can be just like a Puta or phone, the problem can go away.....

With van camped outside just leave the solar to keep the battery all charged up is the way to go, your battery will be kept happy, the display screen may be dodgy anything from a dirty contact, plug or just plain stuffed, unplug it and reconnect.... the moist weather of late hasn't been kind to connections on a lot of things.

My rig lives outside and solar keeps the batteries nicely charged at all times.
Thanks mate, I will give this a go