New van ordered

AndrewC

Mar 20, 2013
Murrumba Downs, Brisbane
When we BBQ, we love cooking with flat plates with open lid cooking and fast. The baby Q we had either a half grindle plate which actually took up a bit over half width which made the flat plate not quite big enough and then the spare open grill part too small, or you go for the breakfast plate, which was too small for anything for a family. We ended up getting a full flat plate by campaquip, which was better but the bbq itself sill lacked heat for open lid cooking and we found it was generally slow to cook even with the lid down. Warm up time was also excessive. This is what makes the webers so good for roasting I guess. We are no roasters so it was not appealing to us. I would also look at the ziggy BBQ over the weber based on BTU as well.

Have a look at the BTU output of the aussie sizzler compared to the baby Q. Its about 20,000BTU compared to just under 9000BTU. that to me says it all. The flat plate on the sizzler also has a fat draining spout that puts it straight into the drip tray instead of all through the bbq base.

The aussie sizzler also packs enough heat and has an optional mesh insert to be able to use it as a stove for saucepans or kettles and act as an out side kitchen if required as well as a conventional BBQ.

Just my 2 cents :peep:

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Thanks Andrew for the great response, you have confirmed much of what I expected and I really like the idea of Australian made and two burners. The Aussie oven option is important for us as we intend to use the oven to make our own gluten free bread and in hot weather it would be good to bake bread outside in the BBQ rather than in the van oven. We also like the idea of using the cooking rack.

Last edited:
Reactions: AndrewC

AndrewC

Mar 20, 2013
Murrumba Downs, Brisbane
Well all is nearly sorted in our van.

Got the solar and 240v charging systems sorted now and just waiting to install the remote solar meter panel when it arrives in the mail tomorrow. The charging system in this thing cranks and was designed to be able to pack a punch in a short time off the genny if required.

I painted the brake hubs the other day to stop rusting and labelled all of the fuse panel fuses. Also added a couple of more fuses to my picky liking.

I shortened the Anderson plugs for the dc to dc charger and esc so that all looms up nicely to the back of the car. Just want to change the 12 pin plug over to a fully metal case one and I think it will be all done.

Now we just have to use the it!
image.jpg

Reactions: yabbietol

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
When we BBQ, we love cooking with flat plates with open lid cooking and fast. The baby Q we had either a half grindle plate which actually took up a bit over half width which made the flat plate not quite big enough and then the spare open grill part too small, or you go for the breakfast plate, which was too small for anything for a family. We ended up getting a full flat plate by campaquip, which was better but the bbq itself sill lacked heat for open lid cooking and we found it was generally slow to cook even with the lid down. Warm up time was also excessive. This is what makes the webers so good for roasting I guess. We are no roasters so it was not appealing to us. I would also look at the ziggy BBQ over the weber based on BTU as well.

Have a look at the BTU output of the aussie sizzler compared to the baby Q. Its about 20,000BTU compared to just under 9000BTU. that to me says it all. The flat plate on the sizzler also has a fat draining spout that puts it straight into the drip tray instead of all through the bbq base.

The aussie sizzler also packs enough heat and has an optional mesh insert to be able to use it as a stove for saucepans or kettles and act as an out side kitchen if required as well as a conventional BBQ.

Just my 2 cents :peep:
We have the aussie sizzler as well but havent owned a weber, so i cant comment on them. i can say that the sizzler is awesome for all reasons mentioned above. It is also light and compact. We have the rotating slide and have it mounted in the front boot.

Reactions: yabbietol

AndrewC

Mar 20, 2013
Murrumba Downs, Brisbane
Hey mate

Not many things I would change. The van has been awesome!

The only thing that I would change is the hot water system. I am not impressed with the Truma at all. Tank size is smaller than the suburban and recovery rate is worse. We never ran out of hot water in our jayco because of the awesome recovery rate.

If you do go an on the move, you won't be disappointed but I would enquire about the suburban HWS