New tyres on the Jayco ready for the lap...

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Been a few vans that the jig thats used to weld the suspension frame to chassis isn't quite right, its usually the hanger off the sub frame thats out, the bit that has the bolts, not the actual swinging arms they are set up properly its when they put the mechano set together that the problem arise's ....................... When I did my own I would have the wheels on a bit of lino so the tyres would have very little resistence............
If it was a fella that comes to you to do a alignment then he is restricted in what he can set, a proper Truck Align shop will have the van over the pit and do a proper set up and measure ........ a sag on one side will throw things out..... the adjuster may have a dag of gal or something on the cam, 3 poofteeths would be enough to throw it all out so you may not even notice with the Mk 1 eyeball.................... Just hit the road after checking the wheel nuts and enjoy the view instead of the gauges.......................... :becky: :becky:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
My left front was 30mm out they aligned it within 2mm no real drama my tyres are still original and 4 years old I’ll just keep an eye on the wear for a while. Being 30mm out wore the outer edge but it’s still legal so I left it alone, trying to get them balanced before next trip.
30mm is substantial you would think it would be skipping down the road ...................... Jeep was 2mm out from tyre shop and was scrubbing away nicely..... I'm OCD with wheel alignments and get peed off as so many tyre shops have no idea, balancing a tyre and putting weight on top of weights, totally wrong, too much weight needed then the tyre needs to be moved on the rim and spun up again, bad balance can play havoc with more things than a shudder in steering wheel...... Tyre shop may replace the tyre but I don't let them do a wheel align ... also read the riot act now about rattle gun since I have had to replace 3 wheel nuts because of them.............

Hitting the road

Jan 14, 2022
Brisbane
also read the riot act now about rattle gun since I have had to replace 3 wheel nuts because of them......

They are just plain lazy some of these fitters...I had a go at my tyre blokes a while ago about the way they rattle the wheel nuts up to the point you need a breaker bar to crack them loose. I have to go around anything when I come back from the tyre shop, like I have to now as I had a rotation done yesterday!
Reminds me, I need to go around the van too and loosen the wheel nuts and re-tighten them...

Reactions: Drover