New Tug D4 or MUX?

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Could be a update to our tug soon.. Waiting on lease pricing to come back. I was thinking bottom of range MU-X to replace Mini although probably now update the Disco. Where looking to lease now and keep for 7-10 years.. So being able to fit teenage boys in for 7 seats a must.

Went out and narrowed down the list to Everest, Mux and D4. Sorry no 200's just pushed budget..
Colorado7 and Fortuner both ruled out as low 600's payload and 4 kids and van do not work out.

Tried hard to want a Everest although access to third row is crap (um any thoughts of a tumble forward seat like most others do Ford:) ) Interesting not one review mentions it is crap to get into. Sat in the 3rd row head touched the roof so no good for anyone but kids. Shame really we also did not like driving position.2nd Row seat not that wide. You end up putting car seats in 3rd row and then there goes your shopping space. Put two seats in second row. No space for a adult.
So ruled out. Sorry Ford fans

MU-X drives like a truck, heavy steering although has a bit of charm. The only car problems I read are rear seals (supposed to be fixed) and the sat nav crap and out of date maps. Suspension can be a little soft. Payload is only 690kg so tight with the 22.68.
A update coming in next 6-8 months with or without a 6 speed box and new sat nav. Although could get a 2.5 engine which I do not want. The engine is out of a truck with a chain not timing belt so will out last most, the 5 speed out of the old Land Cruiser. So drive train great. as a 7-10 year car it beat the Disco. Although your very well reminded its a UTE with 2 extra seats. While twins in car seats we have to put two seats in the back and you cannot flip the single seat as they over hang. Squishy for adult in 2nd row with car seats.. Not as bad as Everest. Again seeing not made for Australia the seats flip forward although the single seat on drivers side.
http://www.carsales.com.au/bncis/details/Isuzu-MU-X-2015/OAG-AD-12486799/?Cr=5

D4 is a update to our D3 drives similar and quieter has a lot of new gizmos. The 7 seats I still feel its the best around and it fits all the car seats we stuck with for a few years in. I have sat in the back of the D3 a few times fine as a adult compared to other 7 seat cars. We can put 2 car seats and a adult in 2nd row. Or flip down the seat as all three seats in 2nd row flip. Drives better tows more. a bit more payload then MUX standard 80 vs 65 litre tank. Nice 8 speed auto, more gizmos rain and auto headlights. Front sensors, better stereo/sat nav. air suspension.. :)
Although another $30k.. to get a 2015 plate over MUX.. More if we want 2016.
http://www.carsales.com.au/demo/details/Land-Rover-Discovery-4-2015/OAG-AD-12134866/?Cr=2

For 7-10 year car
MU-X will cost a lot less to service and repair then the Disco. Timing belt due around 120k on Disco.
D4 will tow better the MUX
MU-X will use less fuel.
D4 drives better and more comfortable.
D4 Air suspension easier for all to get in and out of car no WDH needed
D4 80 liter tank vs 65 for MU-X towing you get better from the MUX so might even out.

So wait to final figures back from lease place then decide.
Cheaper not to upgrade although 145k on Petrol D3.. and I think the 22 is getting a bit too much for it.

Any thoughts Sarah prefer D4 although from early figures $4k a year or so more for D4 and $14k more buyout.
One of the reasons for upgrading is our current Disco Petrol and has cost us a bit and under 10 years old :( no idea why we looking at a newer one :) Although honestly looking at probably after lease $1-2k more to keep on the road a year.

Last edited:

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
I'd go the D4 over the mux anyday. Like you said it's got the comfort and space which is important as the kids get older. As you are leasing the figures will probably come out to be quite similar. Plus the larger fuel tank will be worth it.
Take both for a drive and see which you like best.
Does the d4 tow more ?? If it does then that would also help seal the deal for me. It's one of the reasons we sold the patrol, plus the lack of power when going from 100km/h to 30km/h up a hill with a road train coming up fast behind was not safe and very scarey.

Good luck with your decision.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
Got prices back..
Black D4 9k on clock,7/15 registered with 5 years warranty to 7/20
Cost $1071 a month
White D4 3k on clock, 2/16 registered with warranty to 2/19
Costs $1154 a month
Silver MUX new 4/16 registered with warranty to 4/21
cost $663 a month

Also save on fuel and interest on trade in so around $150 a month more..
Now to decide.. pros and cons for each :(
Included getting brake controller on them. The Mux Isuzu will do Land Rover we get someone ourselves

Last edited:

Fabulous

Feb 26, 2013
Melbourne
It will come down to what you and the misses want, pros and cons for both, D4 would be the pick, but higher $$$$, take into account servicing and extras as well.

Still a fan of the Everest.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
Wanted to like the Everest. Just did not do it for either of us for 4 kids...
Looked at a 200 series although the extra $'s for a GXL over a D4 :( and if we want leather then :(

Also on the weekend we had adults in the rear of the D3, 2 car seats in the 2nd row and 1 in the rear.
We do this often. can flip forward the seat in the second row and a adult climb into the boot.
Cannot put two car seats in 2nd row everest and flip the seat.
MUX was a maybe its wider then Everest.

Extras not much we add to Disco just tow pro and put through the lead for caravan camera.
Mux we go WDH and probably do the rear springs.

Last edited:

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
@davemc it doesn't really seem too bad price wise. (I would love those prices per month, instead of per fortnight!!) I must say, I had to delete what I first started to type as I read it as per week....oops.....couldn't figure out how the d4 was more to have than the cruiser.
I'd get the one that suits your situation better with who and what you transport. If necessary keep the car for less years. We've got ours for 4 years and will reevaluate what to do in the last year. By then our eldest 2 will be 19 and 17 so we may have more options.

Also with salary packaging remember you can swap the car at the end of the lease and upgrade to another so the wear n tear prices arent as bad as you swap before all the big expenses come into play.

Reactions: Dobbie and dagree

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
Buy out around $27k for both D4's and $18k for MUX.
Yes we talked about that.. maybe get the black one with warranty and do another lease in 4 years.
Figures are per month taking in to account you save on tax and running costs around $450 a month. Take out $ per month around $700 more.

We also be using half the fuel from the pertrol so another $20 a week or so. Plus put the trade in money into our offset account. So interest on that unless I spend it ;) Although might only get 15-18k for the D3 :(
It is swings and roundabouts.

Yeah a cruiser like yours be nice.. we have to get GVM upgrade and if Sarah wanted leather.

The D4 is basically just a updated D3 same seat set etc.. Sarah really likes her Disco so I go see what I can get better on the deal tomorrow :)

Reactions: Smirke

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Black looked nice. Gather both are demos with the kms on them, which is good as any tweaks would have been done.
As a personal preference, I'd got he disco, as a work colleague has gone from a Kluger to the mux and has said she is glad that her eldest 2 travel in their own cars. Plus the leg room in the back row is the best on the market, no one else comes close,except a people mover but you can't tow your van with one of those.

A hard decision indeed. Have you taken the whole family and gotten in the mux? I would,just to check, and that includes any booster seats you have/need. We moved out of the territory as the kids out grew it. Was a fantastic car otherwise.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
just saw Black demo sold :( just our luck was going to get it today sat there for months :(

With us like you @Smirke the seats in the third row are day to day seats.. Not once a month. So they need to be able to work.
We also take adults and other kids with us weekly.

Yes did MUX.. had to climb over back seat as the two car seats wider then the 60 split :( We did think if we find narrower car seats there is a chance a slim one we can fold forward the single seat. I think pretty slim.
Image from NRMA site showing 3 car seats Colorado7 same back seat.. and boosters wider then a forward facing seat.
583x329xcolorado_7_child_restraint_2.jpg.pagespeed.ic.EE4INyKGi8.jpg
583x329xholden_colorado_7_child_restraints.jpg.pagespeed.ic.xc5vLvG08G.jpg

Third row was bigger then the Everest although not as good as the Disco.
With the Disco its wider we can do Adult and two car seats each seat flips forward its 35-30-35.
Although Mux half the $'s

Last edited:
Reactions: Smirke

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I drive a DMax for work. Given they are the same chassis as the MUX, I'd make the following comments.

Engine is fantastic, including great economy.

Build quality is good, interior and exterior finishes are all great.

The only BUT relates to the suspension.

It doesn't feel as truck like as my previous Hilux, but it has the worst shocks I've ever come across.

It skips all over the road at times, particularly if there are a few bumps.

Very scary on bumpy corners.

If you do decide to go with the MUX, I'd seriously consider a suspension upgrade with some really good shocks.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
ok so we brought one :)
A new white D4 with 136kms on it so new new.
All the above we looked at where sold before we got there today since yesterday. They said they sold 6-7 this week.
I assume as the deal with free on roads extra finishing tomorrow.. so with 2015 plate you save $20k.
Only gave us $15k for the D3 :( They dropped so much the last 6 months for petrol ones :(

Extras
Active Diff
Blind spot
folding mirrors
leather/ 7seats
tech pack with reverse camera, forward parking sensors and 380w stereo.
Looks like the one below
http://www.carsales.com.au/demo/details/Land-Rover-Discovery-4-2015/OAG-AD-12134866/?Cr=2

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Shame about the black one being sold @davemc .
ok so we brought one :)
A new white D4 with 136kms on it so new new.
All the above we looked at where sold before we got there today since yesterday. They said they sold 6-7 this week.
I assume as the deal with free on roads extra finishing tomorrow.. so with 2015 plate you save $20k.
Only gave us $15k for the D3 :( They dropped so much the last 6 months for petrol ones :(

Extras
Active Diff
Blind spot
folding mirrors
leather/ 7seats
tech pack with reverse camera, forward parking sensors and 380w stereo.
Looks like the one below
Great choice. At least you know that you all fit and will do for a while.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
thanks @Smirke although really works out $10k more and we know no one else driven it.
7 months of a demo car with people thrashing it worried me.

Now working out do we lease or finance. Both have plus and minus.
I like the leasing as you don't have to fork out the cash for the cars running costs. Which helps with 4 kids and you are away on holidays.

Reactions: davemc and dagree