new to expanda

pomtony

Oct 30, 2013
hey there people I have just joined this site, so would like to say hi.
we are moving on from our beloved getabout jupiter j3, and have almost decided, after much looking, thinking,that we need a dual axle outback expanda with bunks.
we are potentially going to view one on sat.
has anyone got any points, issues , faults or points that we should be kicking poking or twisting when we view?
this van is a dual axle 2010 outback.
thanks in advance and we look forward to hearing from you
tony

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Where are you Tony? I just put a post in for a friend in the for sale section. Not an Outback, but close, it is underslung.

Cheers Geoff

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
hey there people I have just joined this site, so would like to say hi.
we are moving on from our beloved getabout jupiter j3, and have almost decided, after much looking, thinking,that we need a dual axle outback expanda with bunks.
we are potentially going to view one on sat.
has anyone got any points, issues , faults or points that we should be kicking poking or twisting when we view?
this van is a dual axle 2010 outback.
thanks in advance and we look forward to hearing from you
tony

Tony, Gday and Welcome. A number of thing to keep in your mind.

1st- can your vehicle tow this dual axle you seek.
2nd- what model expanda are you thinking of getting.
3rd- there are a few good single axle van with great layouts to suit the family (see the expanda website for layout,options, specifications)

when you do view a van, mate open and close every door, operate every lock, select every function on every appliance and they work via all format (12v, gas, 240v), get underneath view rust, shackles, springs, wiring, cables, take a step ladder look at the roof for potential repairs, all seals, creaky floor, water damage in the cupboards, the earth pins on the inlet power for arching, ownership paperwork, service history pretty much be a pain (inquisitive one).

Let us know how you go or for replies to the above so we can assist any further.

Cheers Pace.

Reactions: cruza driver

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
:welcome: @pomtony to the forum, I'd say @Pace has it all covered for you.

Another thing is to check if tyres are wearing evenly to make sure everything has been running true. Also have a good look at the canvas for any tears etc

pomtony

Oct 30, 2013
hi Pace, thanks for that, the tow vehicle is 06 diesel prado with air bags.
one model that stands out for us i think is the 17.56-2 outback
thanks for the ideas
tony

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
hi Pace, thanks for that, the tow vehicle is 06 diesel prado with air bags.
one model that stands out for us i think is the 17.56-2 outback
thanks for the ideas
tony

Ok, Prado very capable vehicle. Be weary of the max towing limit seeing as van is OB (outback) will weigh more. We selected this van as we are family of 6 and it suits us really well, touring model for us as i didnt want the added weight constraint.

Perhaps if you know of the vans you want to look at and have the internet link, post them and I'm sure you'll get feedback from some one here or tag me as @cruza driver has and I'll be notified of your post to me.

Cheers Pace.

pomtony

Oct 30, 2013
thanks all, yeah I knew the weight would be pretty close to my limit, we are looking at bunks and shower in the van.
Pace do you ever have issues with bottoming out with that van?
again thanks everyone
Tony

prado

Dec 2, 2012
Warrnambool, Victoria.
thanks all, yeah I knew the weight would be pretty close to my limit, we are looking at bunks and shower in the van.
Pace do you ever have issues with bottoming out with that van?
again thanks everyone
Tony
Hi pomtony, welcome to the forum. I have 2 prados and both tow the expanda very well. I have one with self leveling airbag suspension and it is great for keeping everything level. I have a underslung 18.57-6 with bunks in a full van and a atm of 2470. Just another option for you.

Last edited:

pomtony

Oct 30, 2013
hi DRW, its on ebay just going for a looky, I think it will just go over our budget, but are going to check it out anyway
cheers

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
Hey Pom, ours was on the market for $42,500, I got them down to $38,500 with heaps of extras and it was the layout we wanted which was hard to find. My advise is don't be shy making an offer and budgets are made to be broken just ask Wayne Swan lol I just has a look at eBay, which one is it?

Reactions: blacky

pomtony

Oct 30, 2013
DRW ,I dont really want to reveal which one at this stage as I want it all to myself lol, it has everything we need/want
which layout is yours?
and can you remind me again, just how good is the 17.56? haha

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
hahah fare enough to, ours has only one bunk with a cabinet under containing 4 cupboards and 4 draws with a full length bench top, we took the ladder and barrier and mattress off the bunk and store our foldup table and chairs up there. The kids are all gone now so its just the two of us. How good are the 17's? bloody good in my opinion, you can have a look at it at Cameron Corner next November!!