Sterling New Stirling 17.55-4

Ck56

Jul 24, 2012
Adelaide
Hi guys, just took our new Sterling 17.55-4 on its shake down trip and the only thing I had a problem with is when I put the stabilizers down to what I think is the right pressure (same as I did on our old 2008 discovery) the door won't close properly. Anyone else have this problem?
Cheers
Charlie

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hello Charlie and welcome.
Hmmm. Seems strange on a van of that size. Surely it's not twisting the chassis enough to affect the door.
I would talk to the dealer first.
And hopefully someone on the forum has some experience/advice for you on this one.

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
Sorry I can't help you Charlie.
But I was down at Mount Martha this afternoon And saw a Stirling being towed. I was surprised show low they are. And also how long. The van appears to be well balanced. Would love to have a look inside one day.

goanna

Jul 8, 2011
Perth WA
Hi Charlie
We have the same problem with ours(17.55.3), the foot by the door appears to put pressure on the door frame making it difficult to close the door easily from the inside. We have just learned to live with it as don't know what can be done except don't put the foot down so hard I suppose

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Hi Charlie,

try putting your drop jacks down in a different pattern. Say two back ones first then the front ones. I bet you are just twisting the frame slightly.
if this is what it is, then without the jacks down, the door should close fine. If the door still does not close with jacks up, then something else is wrong.

Ck56

Jul 24, 2012
Adelaide
Thanks Brad, the door shuts fine with the legs up, it's only when the leg nearest the door is down i have the problem.
Anyway it's in having its first "service" (what ever that is) and they are looking into it and also some other cosmetic issues.
Cheers Charlie

goanna

Jul 8, 2011
Perth WA
Hi Charlie
funny how someone will mention a problem and is one that I have dismissed turns up, we have the same problem that i just excepted as my post may imply, let us know what they come up with after the service please

goanna

Jul 8, 2011
Perth WA
and I thought it was just me that had a first service like that, problems again just living with as not critical, mentioned at service, told ok but don't think it was even looked into

Ck56

Jul 24, 2012
Adelaide
Well, they appear to have solved the problem by lowering the whole door frame a couple of mil. It only catches on the 2 screws (rivets) on the bottom of the door when it touches the dust seal on the bottom of the door frame. Much happier now..

Ck56

Jul 24, 2012
Adelaide
Well it's now January and have not had any more problems with the door, or the rest of the van for that matter. Off to south west area of WA in a few weeks for a five week trip feeling very confident with this set up now.

Reactions: cruza driver