New Hilux

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Saw them in the Grand Final parade yesterday(proper footy) and thought they looked very good. I have read the auto can only tow 3.2T which is disappointing. They will sell well as they have a loyal following.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
$61k drive away for an auto diesel SR5, that's on Toyota website so real world will be different. I will be interested to watch the dual cab war. I think some of them are way overpriced, aussie dollar not helping but I think a decent competitor from Toyota will help bring the others back to earth. By the way I am not a Toyota man, the last model was sales leader and it was old, imagine what this will do. I will stick with my trusty BT50 for work and RG Colorado.

Reactions: mfexpanda

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Some prices here
https://www.mr4x4.com.au/new-2016-toyota-hilux-pricing-and-specs/?utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=2016+Toyota+Hilux+Pricing+&+Specs+Revealed&utm_campaign=Newsletter+#119

We are waiting to see what the 7 seater version the Fortuner sells for supposed to be out in a couple of weeks. 2800 will legally tow the Starcraft and we know Toyota under rate compared to others..
Yes drive away price be interesting. Between Fortuner, Everest, Colorado7 and Mux if I do a lease upgrade. Mux is the cheapest although 64 litre fuel tank :(

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Some prices here
https://www.mr4x4.com.au/new-2016-toyota-hilux-pricing-and-specs/?utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=2016+Toyota+Hilux+Pricing+&+Specs+Revealed&utm_campaign=Newsletter+#119

We are waiting to see what the 7 seater version the Fortuner sells for supposed to be out in a couple of weeks. 2800 will legally tow the Starcraft and we know Toyota under rate compared to others..
Yes drive away price be interesting. Between Fortuner, Everest, Colorado7 and Mux if I do a lease upgrade. Mux is the cheapest although 64 litre fuel tank :(
That's exactly the same as we are looking at @davemc. Would love a Prado but don't think can stretch the $$$ that far. Waiting waiting on checking out the new Fortuna! It is a pain that all of the ute/wagon equivalents have such a small tank as it really does not take into consideration the distances we have to travel between towns in Australia!

BJ.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
That's exactly the same as we are looking at @davemc. Would love a Prado but don't think can stretch the $$$ that far. Waiting waiting on checking out the new Fortuna! It is a pain that all of the ute/wagon equivalents have such a small tank as it really does not take into consideration the distances we have to travel between towns in Australia!

BJ.
if your getting 8's on highway then 80 liters around 1000ks. 64 is still 800. Its towing that cuts that in half :)

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
And when doing the country towns we will Be towing so want a decent range.

BJ.
We get 350ish with the Petrol Disco.. And most most fuel joints not easy to get into petrol pumps with van.
Had to stretch the hose around the back of the Disco to fill it on the way home and it just reached, as only pump we could get out of not backing into the main road :(

Jimbo

Sep 29, 2015
Perth
I test drove the new SR5 with the leather seat upgrade today. $64500 drive away price.
Very impressed with the new gearbox. Is was very smooth. Power was good too, but I have not driven the old 3L so I cant really compare.
Now the new Prado (with the same motor and gearbox) is 66k drive away. So Im considering that too. And yes still interested in looking at the Fortuner in 2 weeks. Am told the top of the range will be around 67k drive away.
To all the any Prado owners out there. What aer your thoughts on your tug? How does it perform with a couple ton hitched on?
Do you think the Prado would tow better then the hilux? (By better I mean stable, or safe, or something like that)
Im keen on a ute, as I think It would be easier to chuck all the stuff like bikes and camping gear in the back. but my wife is not so keen on the ute, and would prefer the "comfort" of the wagon.
Fortuner drops the rear leaf's for independant. So it may feel nicer around town, but would affect its towing??
So Id love to hear everyones pro's and cons.
Cheers

Reactions: Bmhdg76

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
I test drove the new SR5 with the leather seat upgrade today. $64500 drive away price.
Very impressed with the new gearbox. Is was very smooth. Power was good too, but I have not driven the old 3L so I cant really compare.
Now the new Prado (with the same motor and gearbox) is 66k drive away. So Im considering that too. And yes still interested in looking at the Fortuner in 2 weeks. Am told the top of the range will be around 67k drive away.
To all the any Prado owners out there. What aer your thoughts on your tug? How does it perform with a couple ton hitched on?
Do you think the Prado would tow better then the hilux? (By better I mean stable, or safe, or something like that)
Im keen on a ute, as I think It would be easier to chuck all the stuff like bikes and camping gear in the back. but my wife is not so keen on the ute, and would prefer the "comfort" of the wagon.
Fortuner drops the rear leaf's for independant. So it may feel nicer around town, but would affect its towing??
So Id love to hear everyones pro's and cons.
Cheers
have a look if prado has more power than hilux im told they tweek them so they go pretty good I drove back from Adelaide without stoping for fuel 740 ks got home half last tank 1756-2 outback great car only changed to cruiser cause of weight issues with that size van once you load it easily goes over 2.5 tonne and heavy on the ball but in saying that haven't done enough testing with cruiser to see if im really happy with it can I suggest a EGT gauge in what eva car you get cause im sure all prado owners don't know how hard there pushing them going up hill but they do go well I would have no dramas selling cruiser going back to my prado and keeping van very light I will never sell it its just such a good car prado 5 stars 07 VX diesel 130 thousand on the clock they can bury me in it

Reactions: burnsie and dagree

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
Do you think the Prado would tow better then the hilux? (By better I mean stable, or safe, or something like that)...

We have a 2012 Prado 150 TD manual and tow a 16.49.3 OB with no trouble. I did put a set of airbags in the rear and it made a big difference in handling with the van on.
Have also owned a 2010 Hilux dual cab SR5 but never towed the Expanda with it, but did tow some heavy trailers. It handled it, but the Prado does it easier and in much more comfort.
I do miss the convenience of the ute, but the wagon is great for the dogs.
Hope that helps somewhat even though we're not comparing apples with apples!
Cheers
Paul

Reactions: cruza driver

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
My new work Hilux SR5 dual cab is in Brisbane waiting to be mine spec'd, can't wait!!! Keep telling the boss that I will have a brake controller installed as soon as I get it... He thinks I'm joking.....lol
Not sure if I could trust it to tow the fully loaded Basestation/JetSki combo.....

Jimbo

Sep 29, 2015
Perth
Yeh Fortuner is a daft name. I used to drive a 2006 4Runner V6. Much better name, and a pretty awesome car for me at that time.
Yes, the Hilux is rated 3200 in auto. Not sure why Prado only gets 2500kg.
Im towing a 16.49.4. Only 1850kg max loaded.