Journey New electric scissor type awning failures

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
My mate is in a caravan park in Yamba,two new Jayco Journey Outbacks with the new style electric awnings totally destroyed in wind this week.Ended up a twisted mess before owners could get the awnings in.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Is that those cantelever arm jobs ???? Very unstable affair in a slight breeze.

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Is that those cantelever arm jobs ???? Very unstable affair in a slight breeze.
Yes ,flim flam rubbish.Mate had to go and try to get one of the damaged ones down ,it was thrashing around ,had to unscrew the tracks off the outside of the van to remove it.All at night.Just like the lights in the new Jaycos ,no switches, work off phone apps .

• Sad
Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Seen enough of them on motor homes, certainly are a dumb idea and phone app operation would be a big pain, so many ways to fail.

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
I had one on the motorhome similar to this, not electric but wind out and it did not seem very strong at all.

I was not confident of leaving it out overnight, even though there was not a lot of wind about. Would not consider this a wise investment at the moment.

Mick

Mar 15, 2014
Victoria
I have been looking at these as I am looking to update my van I went to Jayco recently and inquired about these fancy new awnings.
And found out that they are electric motor driven from the roll end not really sure what to call it.
When I questioned what happens when its windy dealer answer: they have a sensor that monitors wind speed and can be set in the phone app to automatically wind in.
what if the motor fails when fully extended: answer the motor has a separate plug port and can be powered via a supplied cable.
I was also told if you wanted the old manual style it would cost you more to go back to this.
umm what the ????

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Jayco now have apps for lots of their gear.Lots of problems too.!Owners complaining can not get in for warranty repairs for weeks, Lights ,water,awnings.All essential items and need to work.Fashion before practibillity.