New battery for patrol

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
not sure whether to get this battery or not. We have been quoted a battery (4704) which has a rating of 850cca. Does anyone know if there is a bigger and/or better one that is suitable for our 2012 Y61 diesel patrol? We need to get a new one before we head off to pick up our van next Saturday.

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
The other thing you can do is measure the physical dimensions of the battery tray in your Patrol. If your budget allows it, get the biggest battery (highest CCA) you can fit in there.

Reactions: navmatt and dagree

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
As long as you are happy @Smirke :)
As long as it is trouble free.... I'm happy! (Apparently it's a maintenance free one, but who knows for sure. I just like the 2 yr warrantee I get with it.)
I'll check out the AH tomorrow. The aux is used for the additional 12v outlets in the car (we got 4 extra) and apparently it runs the van also. But then again, I'm trusting what the car salesman told me when I picked it up.

Reactions: dagree

MichaelB

Oct 22, 2014
Perth
As long as it is trouble free.... I'm happy! (Apparently it's a maintenance free one, but who knows for sure. I just like the 2 yr warrantee I get with it.)
I'll check out the AH tomorrow. The aux is used for the additional 12v outlets in the car (we got 4 extra) and apparently it runs the van also. But then again, I'm trusting what the car salesman told me when I picked it up.

Longest you can get now is 30 months... That I have seen anyway

Reactions: Smirke

MichaelB

Oct 22, 2014
Perth
@Smirke in terms of your AH, if it is a "normal" aux type battery (not going to get all technical) the rating will likely be in the 90 to 110 AH range.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Excellent. The rac guy probably said, but I wasn't really listening. I only heard the 750cca bit while he was talking to hubby. Hopefully it is a 100 or 110AH. Coastal 4x4 fitted it. (Saw you're in perth so knew you'd know who that was.)

MichaelB

Oct 22, 2014
Perth
I do know of them... But not what brand they sell.

Nearly all of that type of battery come from one source in Korea. Nearly all, there are some others. The Korean ones are a good product :)

Reactions: Smirke

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
More battery trouble!
Obviously had a probey who wasn't supervised doing the 2nd battery on the car when it was getting all its 'stuff', as the electrical burning we had in the car on Tuesday is the result of it being earthed to the turbo instead of the engine (apparently) and the earth strap snapped off the mounting point. It needs to be redone and have a new isolator switch put in. Am really annoyed and am now waiting to see if it is going to be covered under warrantee from the car yard

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
not good
this is a classic reason why I go to Deerings (by name and nature) for any electrical work

once you get them to fix (under warrenty - good luck with that one)

go to your nearest Deerings, pay the little bit extra, get them to double check EVERYTHING
also, get them to fit another 2 battery straps
one from Aux battery to Chassis (near the springs / shockies)
one from transfer case to body (anywhere under there)

this will help with all the gremlins as well........

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
not good
this is a classic reason why I go to Deerings (by name and nature) for any electrical work

once you get them to fix (under warrenty - good luck with that one)

go to your nearest Deerings, pay the little bit extra, get them to double check EVERYTHING
also, get them to fit another 2 battery straps
one from Aux battery to Chassis (near the springs / shockies)
one from transfer case to body (anywhere under there)

this will help with all the gremlins as well........
Thanks @bigcol . The car yard is waiting to hear back from coastal as it was them who did the initial job. Hopefully they come to the party. I'm assuming it's not common for it to do as I've not heard of it happening before. Or maybe I never listened (which is more likely I suppose)

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
More battery trouble!
Obviously had a probey who wasn't supervised doing the 2nd battery on the car when it was getting all its 'stuff', as the electrical burning we had in the car on Tuesday is the result of it being earthed to the turbo instead of the engine (apparently) and the earth strap snapped off the mounting point.

I missed this.......... what happened?

it "shouldn't" have mattered that it was on the Turbo (apart from Heat destroying the cable)

something dont sound right...... to me anyway :)

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
@Smirke, I have an Optima 830cca battery for the cruiser, and its the first one I have found that has lasted.

I have had 600-700 in the past, but they have all died within 12-18 months.

Out of the factory the 100 series diesel comes with 2 x 400cca in parallel, and having converted one of them for a fridge battery, I have always been a bit down on cranking current, until I found the Optima.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
More battery trouble!
Obviously had a probey who wasn't supervised doing the 2nd battery on the car when it was getting all its 'stuff', as the electrical burning we had in the car on Tuesday is the result of it being earthed to the turbo instead of the engine (apparently) and the earth strap snapped off the mounting point. It needs to be redone and have a new isolator switch put in. Am really annoyed and am now waiting to see if it is going to be covered under warrantee from the car yard

Ouch, earthing to a Turbo, surely not, the heat would kill anything electrical attached to it (gawd I hope they didn't give him a drill :o)

Reactions: dagree and Smirke