New 18.57-9 OB and new to Expandadownunder

scott_hutch

Jul 21, 2013
Melbourne
Gday all, we're new to Expandadownunder and have loved reading through the countless useful tips about things I've wanting to get sorted out.

We've got an 18.57-9 OB and just returned from a shake-down trip through central Australia, mostly offroad. I've got to say, the Expanda handled the dirt far better than expected. Melbourne to Esperance, then back through Gawler ranges, Dalhousie Springs, Oodnadatta track and Flinder's Rangers were all great. 31 days on the road and only 2 nights in a caravan park - the rest was mostly free camping with some National Parks as well.

One thing we noticed though was the underside of the caravan took a beating from 2000+ kms of gibber stones. The electric brake cables suffered the most with them frequently being severed, even through ribbed cable protection that I added half way through (I've now encased them in garden hose...). The steel of the Simplicity suspension was also peppered/dented badly and all protective paint blasted off the front facing surfaces and sections of the plywood flooring are peeling away from the relentless stones. It seems most of the underneath stone damage was from the caravan's wheels, so I'm thinking of ways to add additional mud flaps underneath to block these. The Deflector stone guard did an amazing job with not one stone mark to the front of the van.

A few additions I put on before leaving that made the trip that much better
- #1 was a diesel heater - worth its weight in gold.
- 220 watt solar panels meant we didn't once use electricity in 31 nights (even at caravan parks).
- rubber mat over back of car window meant no worries about stone damage on the long stony roads
- carpet over the vinyl was much warmer on those freezing desert nights.

Look forward to reading more of those great posts...

Scott.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Great intro Scott and the trip sounded like a cracker to mate, what's your choice of tow vehicle?

The gibbers sure are harsh under the van but it's all worth it for the scenary out there :)

scott_hutch

Jul 21, 2013
Melbourne
A Ford F250. Hardly notices the Expanda behind...
P1080322.JPG

Kenshi123

Jun 24, 2012
Ballarat
Welcome mate and sounds like you had a great trip! Looking forward to reading about more of your adventures.

Paul75

Jul 28, 2013
Gippsland, VIC
Sounds like an awesome trip Scott.

Mate I've got the same van and have been thinking about a diesel heater. Would love to hear, and more importantly see pics of your install of the heater if you have time to share at some point.
Regards.

scott_hutch

Jul 21, 2013
Melbourne
Sounds like an awesome trip Scott.

Mate I've got the same van and have been thinking about a diesel heater. Would love to hear, and more importantly see pics of your install of the heater if you have time to share at some point.
Regards.
Hey Paul, I'll certainly get some photos of the installation through to you.

Previously I've used a Dometic heater, which I think is a bit more refined but a LOT more expensive ($2000 at the time) compared to the Planar one I install here (made in Russian, exported from Chinese, bought from eBay, but cost about $600). It's incredibly efficient and the 2kw model is, if anything, over powered for our 18.57 caravan - on the lowest setting the caravan constantly/gradually warms up until we get too hot and shut the heater off. While running it's very quiet and the air is almost too hot to hold your hand in front of. My biggest gripe with it is the when it reaches temperature and shuts off it goes into a turbo mode to blast air through the unit to cool it down and creates a LOT of fan noise in the process. It can run on a 'constant fan' mode where you choose low, medium or high fan settings or 'constant heat' setting where to turn a dial to a heat setting (which never works for us, so we always use 'constant fan'). The installation guide was a bit vague in places and the duct outlets a bit basic. I bought replacement outlets from an exported in Turkey (dieselheaters4u.com) that are directional and can be closed off if needed.

scott_hutch

Jul 21, 2013
Melbourne
Hey Paul, I'll certainly get some photos of the installation through to you..

Here are some pics I took of the heater installation.

20140119_175438.jpg
The heater unit is under the rear large dinette seat, behind a draw that opens towards the caravan main door. I removed the air intake hose so it just sucks air in from the left side of the unit through the many holes around the cupboards (this made the unit far quieter that having a ducted inlet). I also cut a 60mm hole in the base of the dinette seat, under the table, to assist the return air.

20140119_175648.jpg
The return air hole is the black smudge on the left of the dinette seat. There are 2 hot air outlets; one blowing under the dinette, the other blowing back towards the rear of the van. The outlets supplied just blow the air straight out, so I bought directional ones that could also be shut off.

20140119_175614.jpg

20140119_175549.jpg
There are 2 controls; one the standard that came with the heater (3 speed fan setting - above) the other the same as used in your house ducted heating which I added to maintain a constant temperature (below).
20140119_175534.jpg

20140119_175806.jpg
One hole was cut in the floor for the fuel line, clean air inlet and exhaust outlet.

20140119_175931.jpg
The exhaust runs back down and discharges above the suspension

20140119_175838.jpg
The clean air inlet drawers from just in front of the unit just below the chassis.

20140119_175742.jpg
The fuel tank sits just behind one of the gas cylinders on a bracket I made up that connects to the chassis.
20140119_180014.jpg
20140119_180031.jpg

20140119_175847.jpg
The fuel pump and fuel filter are screwed to the underside of the floor with a rubber pad covering it for stone protection.

Last edited:
Reactions: Heath74

maddogqueen

May 3, 2011
Tom Price
Hey Scott,
We have the same caravan you have but with the bunk beds fixed and roller draws underneath. We have also fitted solar panels to the roof and added a rhino bike rack to the back of the expanda, holds 4 bikes. Sounds like you had an amazing trip. We plan to head off to Darwin in July for a few weeks on and off road. Have you been that way?

scott_hutch

Jul 21, 2013
Melbourne
I hadn't seen the layout with fixed bunks before - looks pretty good. We also have solar - 110w - and had it run the caravan plus an Engel fridge for 10 days with no power the other week. Wasn't sure that a single battery and 110w would be up to it, but did a great job.

We've been to Darwin a couple of times, and usually trying to keep to the side tracks instead of the Stuart Hwy, but that was with a slide-on camper instead of the Expanda. Our next long trip (August'ish) will be retracing a trip for a few years ago, going up the Tanami, the Gibb River Rd, then down to the Pilbarra . Haven't worked out how we get home from there yet...

Reactions: The Wadamses

Paul75

Jul 28, 2013
Gippsland, VIC
Awesome. Thanks heaps for that Scott. That's exactly where I was hoping to mount mine but I have dual batteries in there so probably not a great idea. It will fit, just the battery and gas thing together mightn't be the smartest.