New 14.44-4 outback expanda ordered

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
We regret not getting the extended drawbar for a storage box, maybe consider that too. I know all these little things start to add up though!
I thought about the extended draw bar, but don't want the van to be any longer as it will take up most of the carport and the wife's car will not be under cover. remember happy wife happy life! Also I didn't want to increase the tow ball weight. Besides I reckon the more storage I have the more crap I will carry. Coming from a Finch Outback camper we learn how to travel light. With all the space we will have now I think there will be stacks of space.
cheers
Nick

Reactions: 17triton and JASA

JASA

Mar 15, 2013
Melbourne Vic.
Hi James,
I am in the process off making up some 12 volt power boxes with switched circuit breakers for running 12 volt appliances and chargers. I have also made up weatherproof led floodlights which work very well. Our coleman is pretty old and has not missed a beat. We are very happy with it. What went wrong with your companion one?
cheers
Nick

Sounds like you have got light and power sorted.

Both companions had an error code 'E1'. But there is no 'E1' in the instruction book!!! no one knows what 'E1' is!!! Not Sussie Disposal or companion (or that might have been Primus - I think they distribute them). When it happened at Easter we worked out that it all worked well until we plugged the shower head hose on...then the stupid thing spat the dummy with 'E1'

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
Bugger sounds like something may be overloading the system when the shower head is plugged in. Or maybe just unlucky and got 2 faulty units. Our coleman system is pretty simple but works well. Did they give you another showed hose to try?
cheers
Nick

JASA

Mar 15, 2013
Melbourne Vic.
Bugger sounds like something may be overloading the system when the shower head is plugged in. Or maybe just unlucky and got 2 faulty units. Our coleman system is pretty simple but works well. Did they give you another showed hose to try?
cheers
Nick

Yeah, unlucky either way you look at it. Our friends, who were on camp with us, have an earlier model aquacube and we tried their hose...but it didn't work either!! Bloke at work has a coleman and, like you, he is pretty happy with it, so I think we'll get one

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
No, not an option, but after looking at a guy taking delivery of his bean and watching him scratch his head at the collection of keys he had, I asked for the locks to be keyed alike. I will see if this happens.
Yeah well..... I remember asking the same question for mine......delivery of van still came with a bunch of keys. See if you do any better.

Reactions: Rockape

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
Hmm, I'm starting to see a patern with the key thing. Might need to get bigger pockets or rekeying myself if they don't come through as promised.

Nemesis

Apr 25, 2013
Albury NSW
Good to see you settled with the 14.44.4 Rockape, I was watching with interest when you were getting your quotes etc. We had just ordered ours and it arrives early June, after evolving from Swags, to campertrailer to pop top. We end up with similar features to what you ordered, we went with HWS, two tanks and twin gas, TV and a few other odds and ends, only spent just under $37k.

I too hope not to pack too much into the new van, after a restrictive campertrailer, we wont know what to do with ourselves now. I also have been keeping a close eye on some of the mods, some great suggestions, will be doing a bit of work to 'harden' and improve our OB model as well.

Reactions: Rockape

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
Hi Nemesis,
Congrats on your new purchase!
Did you get the 16 inch wheel and tyre upgrade. Well worth it. I have been busy building the 12 volt power distribution system and integrated power box. I will post photos when I am done. Sounds like a great price. After reading some posts we decided to add some more extras and negotiated them in the price. We are very happy and excited. Stack of mods I have in my mind to do to the van when we get it.
Cheers
Nick

jdove

Aug 23, 2011
Sunshine Coast Qld
Hi Rockape
Love your choice of van good to see the 14 series growing in numbers.
Like others have said before I would think about the extended drawbar (300mm) as vehicles with rear doors Pajero/Prado's etc have door clearance issues when set up if still connected to vehicle (o'night stops etc.) I Have the longer drawbar on mine and I recently had to move camp sites and managed to leave the van fully set up during the move. Also the second water tank I think is a must, If you get this factory fitted ask for your payload allowance to be increased on your compliance plate (I had this done).
I too ordered mine just after Easter last year and had the long wait until September, but mine was completed on the day they said it would (fri 13th). At least it gives you plenty of time to go through the forum and get plenty of great idea's from other people.
Good luck
Dave

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
Hi Dave,
Thanks for that, I have added a second water tank And will ask for the payload ATM to be increased and added to the compliance plate.
cheers
Nick

Nemesis

Apr 25, 2013
Albury NSW
G'day Nick,

No we didn't go with the 16inch, we were happy with the height and wheel size (we hired a van before deciding), I have some ideas of what I would like to have changed etc also, it was good to try before you buy that is for sure. I look forward to reading and seeing what you do, I will post up any changes we make also....Moto Moto had some great suggestions if you get time to have a read of his post.

Cheers

Paul

Nemesis

Apr 25, 2013
Albury NSW
Nick,

Not much longer to wait now, went down to Jayco this morning as my van arrived, you could say I was a little excited. Had a quick look around it, but because of the public holiday I wont get to pick it up until Wednesday after they PD it. Then we hit the road shortly after, heading to the Flinders Ranges for a couple of weeks to test it out.

How far off is yours mate, shouldn't be too much longer??

Cheers

Paul

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
Hi Paul,
mine should be ready around late August or early September. Can't wait! Also still waiting for my new Ford Ranger XLT, which is due in August ( ordered in January! ). Looks like I will have 2 toys to play with.
cheers
Nick