Need tow vehicle advice for van! ATM Questions

coys 53

Oct 13, 2019
perth
Just had a front and rear rotor/pad replacement on the disco 3 $1100 total I thought that was reasonable. How does it compare with other makes. Have no problems towing my expanda 16ft fully loaded

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Now this is a proper Patrol, big engine, no bling at all and with 3 gears you need to know how to drive, no poofy carpet or plastic...............actually looks like mine when I first got it except the steps are missing.

IMG_20181116_162127-1024x768.jpg

They handled like a 44 gallon drum with wheels

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Just had a front and rear rotor/pad replacement on the disco 3 $1100 total I thought that was reasonable. How does it compare with other makes. Have no problems towing my expanda 16ft fully loaded

Pretty good not much more than if I did it myself...............

They handled like a 44 gallon drum with wheels

I loved it, had fitted some sporty nissan car seats, painted my wheels and some of Mums off cut carpet was a dream to tootle down the road holding up traffic, with the howl of my Jeep Service Retreads trying to drown out the kids and dog yelling.

Reactions: mfexpanda

thetwosweets

Mar 27, 2020
Qld
Thanks guys. I test drove a grand cherokee and bought one, the wife said it looked the best too as thats what counts apparently. We got a 2014 Limited with 170,000km full logs, diesel, 8 speed box for $15k. Avoided the Overland as didnt want issues with air suspension etc. Drove better than a prado, patrol etc and was about half the price. Can tow 3500kg/350 ball as well. I would rate the drive as good as a discovery 4 diesel that i drove. Hope we geta good run out of it. Now to set up the wiring for van....
Our whole set up owes us only $40k. $25k for 2008 outback expanda 18 foot with side slide and ensuite and a 2014 Jeep GC to tow it. Happy with that and no worries if things get broken and scratched by the young kids.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Thanks guys. I test drove a grand cherokee and bought one, the wife said it looked the best too as thats what counts apparently. We got a 2014 Limited with 170,000km full logs, diesel, 8 speed box for $15k. Avoided the Overland as didnt want issues with air suspension etc. Drove better than a prado, patrol etc and was about half the price. Can tow 3500kg/350 ball as well. I would rate the drive as good as a discovery 4 diesel that i drove. Hope we geta good run out of it. Now to set up the wiring for van....
Our whole set up owes us only $40k. $25k for 2008 outback expanda 18 foot with side slide and ensuite and a 2014 Jeep GC to tow it. Happy with that and no worries if things get broken and scratched by the young kids.

@Drover is going to love you @thetwosweets. Talk with him for ALL the good and "bad?" things about his Grand Cherokeee. I am sure he will be able to assist.

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Just because it has log books I would still check /change front rear diff oils,definately check for any receipts/log books for last auto fluid change ,especially if it has been towing.In fact check when all oils ,fluids werelast changed.Between Drover and myself plus the Ausjeepoffroad forum lots of info.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I certainly hope you enjoy your Jeep , what I would do and this is something i do whenever I get a new set of wheels is I change all the fluids and filters no matter when they signed off the log book, then I know its starting from square one, in fact my current WK2 the Managers vehicle had been signed off by the dealer (not Jeep) that the 40K service was done only 1,000km before I bought it, oil and filter looked like it had but when I did the fuel filters which at 40K is their scheduled first change, they hadn't been done so don't believe the stamps....... If your not DiY then locate a good mechanic, if he prattles on about Jeeps reliability then find another one as he's a DH....... and as @BJM said aussjeepoffroad.com is a good source of info on all things Jeep.
Just ask either of us and we should be able to save you a lot of time............. or @DRW of course

Last edited: