My new van from Jayco Mackay

What is the colour of the leather for the lounge as ordered?

• Black Leather

Votes: 12 100.0%
  • Taleivera Leather

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Grey Orien Leather

• Triumph Leather

• Lucido Leather

• Boston Dark Leather

• Total voters

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
Honestly Dean I would be heart broken, I know you will probably end up living with it but I can only imagine how much better you would feel it it was right from ther get go, not to mention the stress levels :-(

Reactions: Drover

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
Best I could get out of the salesman was a piece of leather the same colour so when it gets stained we can experiment on it. I gave him the options of replacing it, or refunding $400 for accelerated depreciation which I could use to make covers for the lounge, and a piece of leather.. This issue will be next taken up with Jayco head office then possibly small claims. The Sale of Goods Act (Qld) is quiet clear with respect to his responsibilities.

As for the true character of the salesman.....when we got the van back from the first repair he said "Here's your piece of vinyl", as he through it on the kitchen bench...

The next issue....The external TV unit.

I asked for two external fold up tables and an external TV unit. I discussed with the salesman for quiet a while. We measured and we talked about fitting the second table. He said it would fit. The van in the yard that we were looking at had one table and a TV unit. I also asked him to take out the drawer under the bed and put a drop down door in to maximise storage in the rear. That way all of our furniture could be stored from outside. Not a problem he said.

They took out the drawer, and stuck the TV unit in there.

The TV unit prevented the boot from being used for all of our furniture. If the salesman knew his product he would have known what Jayco would do. If he was a good salesman with respect to the client he would have rang Jayco and confirmed that they can do it, and notified me if they could not. I would have just cancelled the TV unit.

The TV unit didn't have the bracket in it and the power was not connected to it or the external 240V plug. SO much for the sticker near the RCD that the electrical install meets Australian standards. Maybe that should be a complaint to whoever certifies Jayco to install electrical.

I asked for a refund, the unit to be removed and as compensation for all of the screw holes in the floor and walls from the unit an aerial plug and extra 12V plug. They removed the unit, refunded, and put the aerial plug on the outside. Extra 12V socket they wouldn't do.

Reactions: G Daddy

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
Now my issues with the J-HUB.

I had three water tanks and a grey water tank put in the van. Two water for general use. One water on a separate pump with filter for cooking/drinking. Water tanks by Jayco at the main factory, and Grey water tank by Jayco Mackay.

When I ordered the van initially I asked for the Drifter control panel and paid $400 extra plus extra to have the grey water connected to the display. I was then told the Drifter is not done any more and had to pay another $600 for the J-HUB system ($1000 total).

upload_2017-6-26_19-25-39.png

When I get the van the levels look wrong so I drain everything and refill while watching and then drain again.

Sensors are on all clean water tanks but tanks 1 &2 are joined with the plumbing with no way to isolate tanks one and two with only one filler...They are also electrically connected wrong and only show full or empty.

Of course the salesman says that's the way Jayco do it now, they don't isolate all tanks. To me that seems really deceptive considering the display on the J-HUB.

The grey water tank did not have sensors connected to it. SO I paid $1000 for something that basically didn't work.

To top it off....When I collected the van they wanted another $600 even though I had already paid the extra $600.

I am yet to test the system again but hopefully they have corrected everything. Except of course one of the Tek screws holding the waste tank up. It snapped off during install and they didn't fix/replace it. They did put S traps on the grey water when they serviced everything else and I hadn't asked for that improvement. Maybe they thought they better do it properly because they knew at this stage that I'm leaving the area and another Jayco dealer will see their standards.

They also did my three month service even though I didn't ask for it, that seems a bit silly considering I just drove it home from new and then back to them.

troyrobbo23

Jun 26, 2017
middlemount
HI Guys

New to this forum and was looking to a salesmen in Mackay today about a new van, i cannot believe the trouble you have been through Dean
Do you pay in advance when purchasing a new van ??
Would you mind telling me his name so i can ask for someone else
Lastly what would you recommend to not have this happen to anyone else

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
Where was I? That's right the bed end.....Now.....During handover they were not going to put the ends out even though I asked for a full handover after them trying to tell me I didn't need it cause I already own an Expanda. My first Expanda had bad stitching in the front bed-end that had to be repaired so I thought I better check the canvas. I was a bit annoyed back in 2012.....Guess what....In 2017 my new Expanda has poor stitching in the same spot. Not sure of the sewing term but the stitch didn't connect from one side to the other.

Poor quality control at three places. The factory where it was sewn...At Jayco main factory when it was installed...At Jayco Mackay when they checked the van before handover (or did they?).

Next....$125 each to install 5 extra 12V sockets. I really should have done this myself but I know how long it can take me to get around to things. I prefer weekends out in the van than weekends working on the van. Type stipulated as the same as the external, I even gave them a picture so there wouldn't be any confusion. I actually went to the effort of giving pictures of where I want them installed and what direction. 3 out of 5 were in the wrong position. One was actually in a better position because it was where the salesman said they wouldn't put it when I asked for it to be put there. 3 out of 5 were of the wrong type, they used the cheap flush mount plugs instead of the Narva ones stipulated.

To me it looks like there was no effort to do as I asked. My fault here I suppose, I expected electrical ducting where the wires couldn't be in a cupboard. I also expected them to look at the supplied pictures...

The fans I had installed were also in the wrong positions. After checking air flow in different positions I sent a picture of where I want the fans to be positioned.....Nah...AT JAyco Mackay we will ignore your instructions and do what WE want... Outcome....... almost zero air flow...I now need to move them myself and patch up some more holes in my new van.

The last thing I'll complain about now is the idiot in JAyco head office who decided to make the matresses 50mm longer in the 20.64 than in the 17.56...They do not fit between the end supports.... The inner springs need to be compressed by the U-bar to fold the end up... To me that's a safety issue, and is going to damage something in the long term....I suppose they think it will last longer than the warranty period....That reminded me of another issue....The buckles that hold down the bar and mattress were installed right at the bottom where you cant pull on the webbing to tighten it down (since fixed).

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
Getting ready for removalists and living in the van for the next 3 months while we buy a new house...

Turn the water on for the first time since they fixed the plumbing. No water. Tried resetting the J-HUB... Turning the water pump on and off...Doing the same again...Trying different positions with the manual and J-HUB switches....Zip...Nadda....Tanks are full and turned on....Not a peak-a-boo from the pump......

Luckily when connected to mains water the water runs....

Is there a reset on the pumps somewhere?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Is it connected to power ??????

Damn I'd be kicking heads I think....

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
Just thought of something............this also means the toilet wont flush....

I could try a multi meter on the pump but tracking the wiring to the J-HUB...I dunno....it's all too confusing with the tablet controlling things...Anyway removalists today and 2mrw so time to get busy.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Oh !!!! be buggered, I really feel for you removal day is bad enough............................it would have to be a power supply thing, never liked these electronic boxes, just hot wire to pump and all should be good..........................................

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I thought we had some frustrations, but you have more "freestyle" build issue deviations than I had. I refused to accept the van, I told them to drive the van right up their poptop, and give me back my deposit so I could buy a second hand one.

Reactions: Drover and 1DayIll

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
One easy fix anyway.....Bumped the wires and the pump went. The positive terminal on the pump had the wires sitting in it instead of being screwed down properly.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
One easy fix anyway.....Bumped the wires and the pump went. The positive terminal on the pump had the wires sitting in it instead of being screwed down properly.

Now sit back and think "Do you really want this mob trying to fix and service your van ?" .........................QC , probably don't even know that it's Quality Control or even letters in the alphabet..........

Brilliant save by the way......................you will have many laughs about it all around the campfire in years to come...

Reactions: Crusty181

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Oh My Freaking GOD @Dean Anderson

how you have stayed sane and not violent is beyond me

I suppose, if you had have had the time (not moving house and needing it for accommodation), you could have, and probably would have rejected the Van

Faaaaaark mate, what a total and utter balls up

I have no doubt you will get everything sorted eventually, but man oh man - I really feel for you dude

what was the response from the Dealer Principle about the Salesman and all the problems?

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
@ bigcol ...........Jayco Mackay is a Family business...................I believe my salesman is not just a salesman...Hence being too important to follow up on sales..

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
Unfortunately my feedback sheet for the van is in a shipping container somewhere....

Well I'll be a bee's knees.....I sent an email to the address given by my dealer to ask for another feedback sheet and the address isn't right...

WHo would think????.

Reactions: bigcol

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
Next problem......The water tanks fill up by themselves when on mains water...

Funny thing is the drinking water tank also fills up when there shouldn't be a connection to it (it should need a separate hose).....

Smash

Apr 23, 2013
Perth WA
Next problem......The water tanks fill up by themselves when on mains water...

Funny thing is the drinking water tank also fills up when there shouldn't be a connection to it (it should need a separate hose).....
Mains pressure is going straight through your pump and filling the tanks even though the pump has a one way valve built in they never work.You need to get a john guest one valve fitted by pump to provent this from happening.

Reactions: bigcol

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
The problem fixed itself up. Filled the tanks and used the pump for a couple days and then reconnected the mains. Hopefully it was just a new pump problem.