No Options Apply My endless list of jobs (or feels like)

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
Good luck
Thanks!
Ok this is weird. I seem to have found the problem :applause:. My Anderson on the A frame (former fridge feed) had fallen down and the road destroyed it. This Anderson goes through it's own breaker but is also behind that master 50A breaker. It appears the wire shorted, the master 50A tripped, the sudden surge blew the two 20A fuses on both solar controllers, and the breaker on the A frame did nothing. The assumption that the problem was between the fuses and the solar controllers was a red herring...

Now back to the beers

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Thanks!
Ok this is weird. I seem to have found the problem :applause:. My Anderson on the A frame (former fridge feed) had fallen down and the road destroyed it. This Anderson goes through it's own breaker but is also behind that master 50A breaker. It appears the wire shorted, the master 50A tripped, the sudden surge blew the two 20A fuses on both solar controllers, and the breaker on the A frame did nothing. The assumption that the problem was between the fuses and the solar controllers was a red herring...

Now back to the beers
Circuit breakers are usually slow acting. Some are thermally triggered. Fuses are mostly fast acting.
Seems like the main breaker triggered faster than the one on the A-frame.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have used maxi fuses on my batteries as a sparky said they react quicker, besides they were cheaper than a breaker though only 40 amp but I don't envisage any higher amperage I have a breaker on my panels to controller more so for quick disconnect for maintenance really......

So I assume your old fridge Anderson wasn't a direct to fridge line but plugged into the old wiring harness and was actually live somehow when it shouldn't have been, might be something else lurking there.

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
We've been camping along the hyden/norseman road for a few days so only just back in mobile range. Nothing like a downpour to make that road an exciting drive with a van on the back!

The 3 way fridge anderson did go directly to the fridge but I repurposed it after fitting the compressor fridge. It now is a direct feed to the van batteries so I can use it to charge them or run a tyre pump etc.

Anyway everything is pretty much running as hoped (opps designed). A few more minor electrical things have broken but that's normal for the rough roads we travel. The fridge is running great, solar is keeping up ok, even on an overcast day like today, ute lithiums are charging fine and supplementing the van when required. We are restocking in Norseman tomorrow before heading over to SA

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
but I repurposed it after fitting the compressor fridge.

But left the long lead part.............. it happens I know someone who didn't bother plugging fridge in for a similar thing, well the anderson got chewed up but not fizzing................... enjoy your tour..... I'm getting toey, counting the days.

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
Who made the cheeky comment about complexity...
View attachment 68936 This is my test setup before it goes in the ute tray. The box holds two batteries (now lithium), various tools, and two water jerries. I decided to add a few 'improvements' aka complexities before putting it back. A juntek shunt and coulomb counter , a tidier (ok it will be) junction box for minor 12v things (ute tray lights etc), and my favorite ltc3780 dc dc module which will trickle charge the cranking battery when the lithiums are full. Out of shot is the anderson cable which is plugged into the caravan so I can test the effect of running all batteries in parallel when required

And I'm still messing around with my camping shower, currently a 5l spray bottle painted black. Printed a holder for the shower head off a submersible pump to see how that works

View attachment 68937 I may not need it at all now my gas consumption is (hopefully) much reduced with the new fridge
A couple of updates seeing it's raining again

The trickle charger is working a treat. Recap: I inserted a relay in the feed from the cranking battery to the projecta DC DC so when the ignition is off a 1 amp trickle charge is fed back to keep the cranking battery topped up when we are parked for long stays. It just holds at 13.1 on my voltmeter in the tray so there is immediate feedback if something has been left on or a door is open - usually the vhf...

The hobs are working fine so it's good to tidy the thermocouple connections before ordering a new one

The cheap lithiums in the ute tray are working fine. I did stress for ages about my plan to simply parallel them with the van lithiums (different supplier) when they are very unequally charged. Turns out to be a non event compared to agms as lithium voltages are so similar there is almost no balancing current - even when one end has a massive draw from the inverter.

The HWS actually fired up with the door closed on a really cold morning but every other time it needs to door flap open for 5 mins. I now suspect I have an early circuit board that others had issues with

All in all pretty good so far

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
A random mod that's working quite well

I use the cheap camec towing mirrors and they have given good service over the past 5 years - especially under $50. But they do have a couple of problems: They can damage the mirror housing if done up too tight, they spin around in a wind gust, and they never sit in exactly the same spot when removed so I have to adjust them each time.

So I glued (siliconed) 2 squares of rubber where they clamp on
IMG_20230516_092508.jpg Now I know exactly where to re fit them, they grip better and don't damage the paint. Such a simple idea

th-3127575704.jpgI also marked where the mirror shaft is clamped by the plastic screw, filed a small flat there and now they don't rotate either...