17' Series My Dilema

Arkraider

Jan 6, 2015
Melbourne
Current issue is that i want to get a 17.56.1 expanda. New or 2nd hand doesn't worry me as long as it has what i want. My problem is i also want to be able to have the option of having an annex.
No though o have heard and read about the fact that if your fridge vents to the door side if the van yo can no longer enclose your awning. I don't know what to do now? Any thoughts?

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Getting a new one as relgate informs fridge is off side, though getting a used on which already has an annex is a win win. Oh, go for the 17.56-2 with the ensuite while your at it. Cheers Pace.

Arkraider

Jan 6, 2015
Melbourne
So can you get a new one? Fridge isn't on the annex side?
Relgate, I hope so.. I really would love one. But need to sell my Swan first.. Whether it be new or 2nd hand.

Getting a new one as relgate informs fridge is off side, though getting a used on which already has an annex is a win win. Oh, go for the 17.56-2 with the ensuite while your at it. Cheers Pace.
Pace, it would be a win win, but i have heard from a person at Tebbs that you can be fined for having up. Don't know how this would be policed or even if true. But something that made me re think I will need a new one rather than 2nd hand.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
see if you can get second hand with a annex already :) There is a few up 17" Expandas on gumtree

or find a annex to fit or almost fit like mine :)
I just orderd one for our 1756-2 if I have trouble will disconnect gas from fridge with a letter from plumber then can allways put it back on ????????

AzHaych

Mar 15, 2013
Beaconsfield, Vic
Hi @Arkraider I have investigated this heavily myself lately because of potential ramifications that it may have had with insurance etc. Firstly you won't be fined, it is only the manufacturers of the caravans or annexes that can be fined or prosecuted if they were to not comply and there was an accident or fire that resulted in the non compliance.
From an insurance perspective anything manufactured prior to April 2014 is not required to comply to the new regs, it is only caravans or annexes manufactured and fitted after this date.
I spoke with a senior person from Jayco and the compliance to the new reg and the changing of layouts was just that, it was so they complied. For an actual accident to happen would require a number of extreme series of events to all occur at the same time. The new regs have come about not from caravans and annexes but from the unfortunate deaths of the two kids and the wall heater in a home in 2010.
This article explains that its the manufacturers that face the fine of $2,000 per offence not the consumer.
http://www.timetoroam.com.au/aussie-caravan-annexe-hit-by-gas-bombshell/

Hope this helps clear up any concerns you had. By the way I just happen to be selling my 17.56.1 with annex and a heap of other extras.
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/2012-jayco-expanda-17-56-1-outback-with-the-lot.6632/

Az

Reactions: Arkraider

Arkraider

Jan 6, 2015
Melbourne
Hi @AzHaych , that does help very much. Greatly appreciated for the extra information...
On your van for sale, beautiful condition and everything I could want, except it is OB model and by past experience would be over my tow rating.. 2100kg..

Last edited:

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
ive been told they knew about new law coming in 12 mounths in advance but did nothing just kept pumping them out

Dede

Mar 12, 2014
Bellarine
Our new? 2000 Westport has the fridge on the annex side and has a full annex??? I know this was before the new Australian Standard came out!!

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Our new beastie being a full van has the fridge on the left side though its vented to the roof which makes it OK should we ever decide to fit an annex.

Izzya123

Mar 18, 2011
Mount Martha, Victoria
Hi @Arkraider I have investigated this heavily myself lately because of potential ramifications that it may have had with insurance etc. Firstly you won't be fined, it is only the manufacturers of the caravans or annexes that can be fined or prosecuted if they were to not comply and there was an accident or fire that resulted in the non compliance.
From an insurance perspective anything manufactured prior to April 2014 is not required to comply to the new regs, it is only caravans or annexes manufactured and fitted after this date.
I spoke with a senior person from Jayco and the compliance to the new reg and the changing of layouts was just that, it was so they complied. For an actual accident to happen would require a number of extreme series of events to all occur at the same time. The new regs have come about not from caravans and annexes but from the unfortunate deaths of the two kids and the wall heater in a home in 2010.
This article explains that its the manufacturers that face the fine of $2,000 per offence not the consumer.
http://www.timetoroam.com.au/aussie-caravan-annexe-hit-by-gas-bombshell/

Hope this helps clear up any concerns you had. By the way I just happen to be selling my 17.56.1 with annex and a heap of other extras.
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/2012-jayco-expanda-17-56-1-outback-with-the-lot.6632/

Az

Az, great price for your 17.56 with all those extras. Hey, where did you get the bike rack from.....how much? Were you happy with it. I'm in Mount Martha if you got it locally. Consider selling yours??