My BaseStation

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Hello
I am new to this site as this is my first van so I am looking forward to reading and seeing what people are up to with their caravans.

My Van is a Jayco Basestation Outback 23.73-6 Built 8/15.
The family and I have uses it for about 3 weeks in total since picking it up in October and we are really enjoying it.
I drove from Adelaide to Ballarat to collect the van from Ballarat Jayco as they had one in stock with all the options I wanted for a great price

My Basestation has the following Options / Features.

windup antenna
Fusion stereo
external picnic table
3 garage windows
TV bracket and TV in lounge
TV bracket and TV in Bunk room
external entertainment unit
smev 4 burner grill
tent (privacy) screen
bed converter
leather to club lounge
Satellite sphere system
185 ltr fridge
extra 82 ltr water tank ( 3 in total )
ibis A/C upgrade
Drifter control panel
external shower
water filter at sink
extra bunk (3 in total)
overhead rear cupboard
full height rear cupboard
120 watt solar
ESC
J tech independent suspension

I have done a few modification to it so far and they are

Tidied up all the wiring and hoses under the van (very messy from factory
Extra bunk - free standing over single bed (now 4 in total)
Fan in Bunk room
replace tail light to LED ones
fitted high level brake light
extra shelves in rear cupboards
3 - 240 volt power points
3 - USB and 12volt points to bunk room
in the process of fitting a grey water tank.

I have added some pictures of the van and modification.

Cheers

Pick up day from Jayco Ballarat.

2015-09-22 12.05.03.jpg

First trip away. (Port Elliot SA)
2015-10-04 13.30.05.jpg

Leather club lounge
P1050520.jpg

Satellite tuner/ Hard drive recorder
P1050521.jpg

Rear tail lights replaced to led ones.
2015-11-21 13.58.50.jpg

High level brake light fitted (On)
2015-12-12 17.07.32.jpg

High level brake light fitted ( OFF )
2015-12-12 13.39.35.jpg

Extra bunk bed made
2015-12-05 12.15.13.jpg

extra bunk bed folded flat
2015-12-05 12.09.18.jpg

Shelves in rear cupboards using factory timber, mounts and edging
2015-12-07 23.13.05.jpg
2015-12-07 23.24.07.jpg

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Hi Base23!
Great to see another Adelaide Basestation owner - great list of options and love your modifications.
I was researching LED lights just yesterday and was considering an extra brake light as well, only a round light in the centre of the spare wheel.
Despite the size, there's not many options for locating the third tank - will follow how you get on. I moved the front fresh water tank to the rearmost large space, near the axle, so haven't yet found a suitable off the shelf tank that will fit under the rear.
Similarly, also trying to finalise the design of a third rear bed, although don't have the factory fitted steel uprights to attach it to.......love the quality look of yours, but don't want a free standing unit. Did you make it yourself, or have someone local fabricate it?
Keep the posts and photos coming!
Paul

Reactions: Base23

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Hi Base23!
Great to see another Adelaide Basestation owner - great list of options and love your modifications.
I was researching LED lights just yesterday and was considering an extra brake light as well, only a round light in the centre of the spare wheel.
Despite the size, there's not many options for locating the third tank - will follow how you get on. I moved the front fresh water tank to the rearmost large space, near the axle, so haven't yet found a suitable off the shelf tank that will fit under the rear.
Similarly, also trying to finalise the design of a third rear bed, although don't have the factory fitted steel uprights to attach it to.......love the quality look of yours, but don't want a free standing unit. Did you make it yourself, or have someone local fabricate it?
Keep the posts and photos coming!
Paul
Hello Paul,
I was going to fit the extra brake light just above the spare wheel but I found out the rear door is a solid timber unit so I had no where to run the cable to it.
As for the bunk bed I fabricated it myself and I a very happy how it worked out.
I would have like it hinged off the wall also but due to the overhead cupboard i could not get it to fold flat against the wall so making a free standing removable bunk works, I only need to put it in the basestation when I have extra guest comming away.
I all ready have 3 water tanks fitted and have room for a grey water tank at the rear, will post some pics soon of the tank i have got.

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Hi @Base23 sensational looking van, great choice of a tow vehicle as well, the only question now is what toys do you put in it???

PS and welcome of course lol
Thanks.
Yes love the Jeep, so much torque and great on diesel.
As for toys in it I have a yamaha quad 660 raptor and my boys all have 2 wheelers.

Reactions: DRW and Delano

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Hello Paul,
I was going to fit the extra brake light just above the spare wheel but I found out the rear door is a solid timber unit so I had no where to run the cable to it.
As for the bunk bed I fabricated it myself and I a very happy how it worked out.
I would have like it hinged off the wall also but due to the overhead cupboard i could not get it to fold flat against the wall so making a free standing removable bunk works, I only need to put it in the basestation when I have extra guest comming away.
I all ready have 3 water tanks fitted and have room for a grey water tank at the rear, will post some pics soon of the tank i have got.
Your investigation into the rear door might have saved me some trouble! Might copy your brake light location.
As DRW said, what toys? We have only taken the bikes in the rear so far, but the next trip (Adelaide Cup) will hopefully include the jetski.....will post how this works out.

Reactions: Delano

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Hi @Base23 and welcome to the forum. As someone shopping for a Basestation I'm very envious of yours. I'm pretty sure we looked through yours when it was in Ballarat (if it's the one I'm thinking of) but a little bit too much van for us.

Very interested in your bunk solution too, so if need be, I might quiz you a bit more on that if I can.

Either way, enjoy the new shiny toy and I look forward to following it with interest.

Reactions: Base23

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Hi @Base23 and welcome to the forum. As someone shopping for a Basestation I'm very envious of yours. I'm pretty sure we looked through yours when it was in Ballarat (if it's the one I'm thinking of) but a little bit too much van for us.

Very interested in your bunk solution too, so if need be, I might quiz you a bit more on that if I can.

Either way, enjoy the new shiny toy and I look forward to following it with interest.
Thanks
and feel free to quiz all you like, Its always easier talking to someone who has done it before

Last edited:

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Your investigation into the rear door might have saved me some trouble! Might copy your brake light location.
As DRW said, what toys? We have only taken the bikes in the rear so far, but the next trip (Adelaide Cup) will hopefully include the jetski.....will post how this works out.
Yes, took me a few hours to work out the rear door was solid and I could not get any wiring through it.
Hope the jet ski works out for you, I would like a jet ski but I don't think my wife will let me get one, I trying to figure out how I can squeeze my 20 foot Nautique ski boot in the back.

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
Very Nice, hey I noticed you have the anderson hitch. To make it work as it should you need to put a 4" spacer under the vans hitch so the chains pull straight, the difference in the way it handles is night and day. Also I ran mine like yours for about 8000km and because of the steep angle of the chains it rubbed part of the chain and the box tube away. I was ready to sell mine but decided to make up the spacer....very happy now.
PS love the couch.

Reactions: Janeymck

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Very Nice, hey I noticed you have the anderson hitch. To make it work as it should you need to put a 4" spacer under the vans hitch so the chains pull straight, the difference in the way it handles is night and day. Also I ran mine like yours for about 8000km and because of the steep angle of the chains it rubbed part of the chain and the box tube away. I was ready to sell mine but decided to make up the spacer....very happy now.
PS love the couch.
Thanks.
I will look in to making a 4" spacer to help improve it. I have found the hitch to be working quite good though, but if I can make it better I will.

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Here is the location of the 3 extra power points I added.
1 I added below the couch near the pantry and close to the bathroom door so my wife could use the hair drier in the bathroom and the other 2 I fitted in the full height robe in the bunk room.
I used the 3 x DIY CMS 240v interconnecting cables, 3 x CMS 240v double pole, double power points, 3 x CMS mounting shrouds and 1 x CMS 240v double adapter, All these items were just plug and play with the factory Jayco wiring.
I had to be very careful cutting the hole for the power points as there is not a lot of room for error as the flange on the power point is not very big.

Power point mounted under couch (close to bath room for hair drier)
2016-01-21 08.20.47.jpg

in rear robe for lower bunk
2016-01-21 08.21.19.jpg

Rear veiw of power point with CMS shroud to cover it.
2015-10-20 08.01.55.jpg

Power point for upper bunk
2015-10-20 08.01.47.jpg