Might be getting written off :(

DiDExceed

Nov 2, 2012
Kuluin, Queensland
Took the expander in for some insurance repairs last week after some storms not long after we bought it. I got a phone call later to say the roof bows at the back of the pop top have collapsed after the heavy rain we have had and water sitting on the roof. Called the insurance company to make another claim and now find out from the repairer they may write it of due to the damage ($19,000) and the van is only insured for about $20k according to the assessor,although our policy says $26k we may still be able to get it repaired if its not over the insured amount according to the repairer, depends on who we talk to at suncorp I think., but the policy says $26k and we've only had it since the end of november unless its changed to market value somehow which could well be less.

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
For cars at least they never repair up to the insured value stated on your policy.
75% of the insured value is the normal rule of thumb, so the $19k to $20k sounds about the right limit for repair V right off

DiDExceed

Nov 2, 2012
Kuluin, Queensland
For cars at least they never repair up to the insured value stated on your policy.
75% of the insured value is the normal rule of thumb, so the $19k to $20k sounds about the right limit for repair V right off

Yeah that's what I thought too but according to the repairer with vans they usually will repair up to the insured amount if the van is in good nic, which the assessor said it is, oh well see what happens, fingers crossed its a good outcome.

DiDExceed

Nov 2, 2012
Kuluin, Queensland
I've already got my eye on another 14.44-3 outback if they write it off lol, it's the only one for sale I've found so far and it's in qld which is a bonus, I haven't heard anymore about it yet, don't mind if they write it of if I get close to enough to replace it. Have to wait and see.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Sorry Coled, I stand corrected but glad there is still more of us around. :adoration:

DiDExceed, I hope it all works out well for you. Like Coled, the 14-44-3 is ideal for the two of us and my wife and I managed to spend 3 months in it travelling WA and were still talking when we arrived home. :hug:

coled1970

May 27, 2012
Hunter Valley, Newcastle
No worries chartrock, been mia with work so i don't get to visit the site as often as i should. Then its mods to the van. Recently fitted diesel heater to try and score some brownie points in winter.

DiDExceed

Nov 2, 2012
Kuluin, Queensland
8-9 weeks :( depending on wether they order a new roof from jayco or theyre thinking about making the roof with aluminium supports instead of timber with a slight curve so water will run off And using the existing sides so it looks factory. About $22k the bill came to

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
8-9 weeks :( depending on wether they order a new roof from jayco or theyre thinking about making the roof with aluminium supports instead of timber with a slight curve so water will run off And using the existing sides so it looks factory. About $22k the bill came to

Wowser surprising they didn't write it off but at least it will be done and done right.

All the roofs have a slight concurve in them so if they go either route you will get the concurve to assist with run off.

What about a loaner van?