14' Series Marv_Mart-Trip to the Kimberleys 2016

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
Travel safely. In typical fashion......you need more time.........

Don't miss Wyndham and in the area, king river road down to the prison tree, old halls creek rd, the bastion lookout at sunset, old duncan rd, parry creek rd and farm, wyndham picture gardens, and and and.......

Love that part of the world.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Have a safe trip, will keep an eye out for you on my way home from Whyalla tomorrow
What time will you be on the road? We expect to be in Pt Augusta around by about 11:00am and then onto Glendambo for an overnight stop.
Will be stopping for fuel/ break on the East side, just before the salt lakes on the southern side.
Will be ears open on the truckie ch 18
Cheers

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
What time will you be on the road? We expect to be in Pt Augusta around by about 11:00am and then onto Glendambo for an overnight stop.
Will be stopping for fuel/ break on the East side, just before the salt lakes on the southern side.
Will be ears open on the truckie ch 18
Cheers
Hope to be in Port Augusta around 11-12ish. Will be or running through town. Am in a bonneted Kenworth with Rapid written all over it.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Day 1: 1st July, 2016. Adelaide to Glendambo (607km), left home at 7:20 and got to Glendambo at about 3:00pm
Diesel: 97.5l, Pt Augusta 121.9¢/l @ 15.7l/100km, Glendambo 135.9¢/l @ 16.5l/100km
Having the spare tyre on the roof rack has affected my fuel efficiency as I normally get around13.5-14.5l/100km.
First pics are of the new Solar Furnace Power plant (experimental plant at the moment), the old now decommissioned Northern Power Plant and remnants of the Thomas Playford PS not used since the 80's.
I worked in Pt Augusta in the mid 70's so not really anything special for me to spot except I think that is @crackacoldie coming over the Causeway! You will need to enlarge the pic (a lot) and you might see his rig!
He stopped for a chat, great to be able to put a face to a name! Thanks Cracka!
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
Leaving Port Augusta, it was a bit hard to work out which way to go (not)
image.jpeg image.jpeg
Well on our way now, only a Mesa or two to catch our eyes.
image.jpeg image.jpeg
The rest of the country out here is pretty flat with scub flattening out to very low bushes the further you go north.
Green though, a lot greener than when we were last through here in 2014. A few interesting bits of landscape as we passed very close to Lake Gardiner to our West but Ms Marv was not quick enough with the camera!
Marv was on the ball though and spotted this one, well done Marv!
image.jpeg Some silly bugga had stuck a small silhouette of a child holding a teddy on one of them, they are really dangerous our here!! Started meeting up with 2 and 3 trailer road trains as we went, many more of them I expect as we head into the NT.
Shorter trip tomorrow, only 487km to Marla. Catch up with you all tomorrow (Thursday 2nd July)
Cheers, Marv

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Day 2: 2/6/2016 Glendambo to Marla. DC=488km, Fuel=77.48l, Coober Pedy @ 137.9¢/l, Marla @ 149¢/l
FE= 15.7l/100km
After what appeared to be the start to a promising day, the landscape being typically barren & red but as we approached Coober Pedy, spots of rain started appearing. Huge mullock heaps signaled the final approach to Coober Pedy.
Marv of course just shrugged it off, nah, it's fine!
As we were having a coffee break, noticed 2 Model A Ford coupe's (1929 & 1931) in the car park each towing a camper trailer. They were on their way back to Horsham having been to Darwin etc. Not what you expect to see towing a camper!!
Well, off we headed but no sooner were we back on the road when the rain really started. Very soon alongside the road were huge pools of water as far as the eye could see (sorry about the blurry image) with the hollows in the Stuart filling with water making driving a tad tricky.
image.jpeg image.jpeg
Thanks to a hint from @crackacoldie (Truck + Lights = Road Train, usually) I was able to adjust my driving whenever a road train approached to compensate for the huge torrents of water that blasted our little rig every time one came roaring past.
Well we all arrived safely and managed to set up between showers but it is now raining again. Looks like a meal in the pub tonight as its too wet and cold to cook. We don't fry/cook in the van, too messy.
I tell you what though, these little portable induction cook tops are great! Have water boiling in ~2 mins, vegs cooked in no time! Use it mostly on the outside foldout table with a small camp gas cooker for chops, burgers etc.
image.jpeg
Will break out the Weber BabyQ once we are set up for more than just an overnighter.
We did forget the bread so a quick shopping spree in The Alice tomorrow when we go into town to top up with fuel.
Staying at the MacDonnell Range CP just south of town, great place and not too pricey.
Well, bye for now, catch you all again from Alice Springs (where I believe it is also raining pretty steadily, very unseasonal!)
PS: just heard on the news that the Todd is flowing because of today's rain!
Cheers Marv

Last edited:

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
We are travelling to Alice Springs in July school holidays so I am enjoying the pics and story.
Try to stay dry.
Thanks and enjoy.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Great stuff @Marv_mart, when it rains up that way it certainly does rain. Enjoy the Todd River flowing as well, quite the unique site. Should bring out the wild flowers though if you can get a few days of sunshine following.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Day 3: 3/6/2016 DC=475km, Fuel=74.5l, FE: 15.8l/100km. Erldunda @ 167.0¢/l, Alice Springs @ 124.9¢/l
The day started with a steady drizzle and apart from a few short breaks in the weather stayed that way until we were setting up at Alice Springs.
Struck the border a bit before Kulgera with the new speed limit of 130kph.
We did pass two popular parking bays that had 5+ vanners obviously there overnight, best was Agnes Ck (100km past Marla) with water and toilet facilities the other at Marryat Ck a bit further on. Both past Marla but before the border so if you don't mind free camping, would seem like great places to stay overnight.
image.jpeg image.jpeg
The usual fuel stop at Erldunda where the queues are long but the coffee good.
Marv got a chance to reacquaint himself with some of the locals, he has been here a few times before!
image.jpeg image.jpeg
North of here the countryside improves significantly with the Seymour ranges looming large. Those coming in from the side roads have obviously been through some slippery times. Photos taken from inside the BeasT as the drizzle was pretty persistent so not much chance at good quality here, sorry.
Just outside of Stewart's Well, a memorial to the 4 killed in a horrific crash during the inaugural Cannon Ball Run in 1994, 2 Japanese drivers and 2 volunteer marshals. The race has never been run again I believe.
Then across the Finke River and onto The Alice.
image.jpeg image.jpeg
Didn't take long to set up as we managed a drive through site for a reasonably early start tomorrow, heading to Attack Ck for a free camp before getting to Katherine for a 2 day break.
The Todd was still flowing, just. Evidence of large flows through the town with barricades across the ford now raised and a large Goanna left guarding the roadway.
A quiet evening back at camp, home made hamburgers for dinner (yum!!)
Must remember that any vegs we have left over after Katherine are not allowed across the border into WA (Kununurra) so chops, steaks with vegs for the next 3 nights.
We donate any greens left over to the mission station at the WA border and buy up fresh once over the border, well enough to last us through The Bungles & Fitzroy Crossing. Hopefully reasonable quality vegs will be available in Broome!
Cheers for now,
Marv.

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Most enjoyable, will bookmark these tours so when we get over that way we will have a good tour guide to plan off.............keep em coming.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Day 4: 4/06/2016. Alice Springs to Attack Creek (no internet so posted on Sunday)
Attack Ck is 47km N of Three Ways, a great little free camp that we have used several times before but you need to get in before 3:00pm!
DC: 546km, Fuel: 76.51l Tennant Ck @ 133.5¢/l, Three ways @ 168.0¢/l!! FE: 14.5l/100km
Left AS in thick fog that lasted a good 40km. Finally emerged into cloudless sky, expecting warm days and nights from. Ow on. shorts & T shirt weather at last.
What a surprise, a convoy of 5 Model T? Fords heading north probably to 3 ways to go back to Qld. The Old model ford convention was in Darwin and finished a week ago. Now that they are on the open speed Stuart so they can now show what they can really do! Well, 80kph for 100+ year old cars is pretty good!
Passed 'Aileron', not sure what the significance of the tall bronze man on the hill, anyone know?
Going along this stretch of the Stuart we had to slow down several times for cattle on the road, NT seems to have a fetish for road signs but this one was a bit odd!
image.jpeg Wycliffe Wells has called itself the UFO capital of the world and it came up before we knew it, Marv just started to waver his arms around wildly, probably saying Hi to his mates.
The Devils Marbles north of Wauchope are a must see if you have never been this way before. Count on at least 45-60 minute stop here. We had done this back in 2012 so didn't stop this time.
The termite mounds started appearing on the paddocks everywhere. Some wags have dressed them up in T shirts, Safety vests, hats and mining helmets.
Another Model T heading Sth this time at Three ways heading home from Darwin.
Finally set up at Attack creek, Solar Panels deployed to boost the in the back of the BeasT that powers to Spare fridge(drinks etc). Very popular spot this so you need to be here by 3:15 if you want a decent spot.
Everybody very friendly and you don't really feel crowded in.
image.jpeg image.jpeg
Watch out for the price of fuel around here, a difference of over 20¢/l when you compare Tennant Ck with Three Ways and Wycliffe Wells.
Well off to Katherine tomorrow for a well earned break.
Going past Daly Waters ( a few Km up the road from The Hi-Way Inn) is a must stop if you have never been this way before. The Beef and Barra burgers are to die for. We did that back in 2012.
Well catch you tomorrow( which is today) from Katherine.
Marv

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
We are planning to head out this same way next year, as I have never been out there and I'm noticing your keeping track of fuel economy and prices etc do you have any tips re fuel stops? Is it just a matter of fuel up at every opportunity or are there enough stops that you can pick and choose. Reason I ask is I think my range would be around 500km max. I will probably carry spare fuel but just doing my homework now.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Day 5: Sunday 5/06/2016 Attack Ck to Katherine
DC: 603km Fuel: 54.91l @ the Hi-Way Inn @ 137.9¢/l FE: 14.2l/100km
Update: Fuel: 43.5 l @ 123.9¢/l at Katherine BP Used Wikicamps Fuel Watch app to get the best diesel price. Travelled 250km since last fill up at the HiWay Inn @ 15.2l/100km
Not a great deal of fantastic things today just more termite mounds and mounds and mounds.....
Passed the Daley Waters Historic Pub turnoff just after the Hi-Way Inn, a must place to visit if this is your first time up this way. Get in by 11-12, stay the night in their CP and enjoy the Beef & Barra burger accompanied by live entertainment most nights. This adds a whole day to your itinerary but well worth it.
As you come into Mataranka from the south, turn off to the east and spend a day or so camping in the Mataranka Homestead Resort (CP) and enjoy the hot springs. We have done this on all our previous trips but not this time as we have a limited number of days to complete our trip.
No advance bookings, its first in best dressed so again you need to be in before 2:00ish to get in. It's a pay as you go in and then find your own spot. Another day wasted?? No, not really, the kids will love the thermal pools and they have live entertainment as well if you are into that sort of thing.
The gigantic termite mound in the centre of Mataranka is unbelievable and apart from the Tea Trees in fresh boom and a few more Mesa's adorning the landscape you will be in Katherine after circumnavigating the Tindall RAAF base just south of town. We are staying in the Boab CP.
First time visitor here, and very impressed so far.
It's on the Victoria Hwy heading West. Only 34 sites set out in a herring bone pattern so easy to get into and out of your site, swimming pool etc etc.
Leisure day tomorrow so will let you know more about what Katherine has to offer in tomorrow's blog.
We have done the Katherine Gorges day trip four years ago, and again well worth it. Not for us this time.
Catchya tomorrow, Marv

Last edited:

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
We are planning to head out this same way next year, as I have never been out there and I'm noticing your keeping track of fuel economy and prices etc do you have any tips re fuel stops? Is it just a matter of fuel up at every opportunity or are there enough stops that you can pick and choose. Reason I ask is I think my range would be around 500km max. I will probably carry spare fuel but just doing my homework now.
I keep a spread sheet of fuel stops etc that shows km, distance travelled, fuel purchased, ¢/l .
It also has distance and fuel estimates for places not arrived at yet also CP's, $/night, phone numbers and addresses for programming into our GPS. Been in the IT industry for 45 years so been working with SSs was my living so to speak.
It calculates the FE or you can use your vehicles computer if you don't mind resetting it for every leg.
I know I can get 500km ish out of the 80l tank on the BeasT towing my Panda so I have worked out suitable sites for refilling. My list so far;
Adelaide, Pt Augusta, Glendambo, Coober Pedy, Marla, Erldunda, Alice springs, Tennant Creek, (Attack Ck - no fuel but O/N) Hi-Way Inn, Katherine.
From here it will be Timber Ck, Kununurra, (Bungle Bungles), Fitzroy Crossing, Broome.
Having been up this way 3 times Sth to North so far, we are mindful of choosing fuel stations/road houses that have a reasonable turnover and a recognised brand (better chance of clean fuel). Some places on maps that say they have fuel look pretty rundown or have 'burnt out' so fuel not available.
We also carry 2 X 20 spare JC of Diesel. During school holidays, some places are very popular and have run out of Diesel (Erldunda in 2012) with people waiting from 10am til 4pm for the fuel tanker to arrive from Pt Augusta. We used our spare to get us to Uluru that trip. Fuel there is very pricey tho.

The Underlined places are our stops. I can email you the spreadsheet if you want, just PM me your email address.

Last edited:

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
For those asking, other places you must go to that we skipped this time but have done in the past include, Coober Pedy (1 day at least), Uluru (2-3 days at least), Kings Canyon (1-2 days at least), the Gorges west of Alice Springs, the Telegraph museum etc (1-3 days at least in AP), Daly Waters Historical Pub, Mataranka Hot Springs, Katherine's Gorge(s), Kakadu, Darwin, Lichfield NP, Tunnel Ck, Windjana Gorge NP & if you can afford the flight etc, The Horizontal Falls. That extensive enough?
Ms Marv just reminded me that 'The National Road Transport Hall of Fame' about 2km south of Alice springs is a must. Includes the rail museum. When we came to Aust in 1952, our fam, 2 parents and the three of us older boys were posted to Tarcoola in the Great Aus Bight for 2 years to work of our passage so these museums had significance.

Last edited:

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
As I recall the man on the hill is matched by a woman in the valley. The bloke who ran the roadhouse got them done. They are impressive. Better than the big pineapple, croc, prawn, and other big things in country towns.

Reactions: bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you use "WiKi Camps" they have another app called "Fuel Map" which is brilliant at showing fuel locations and if people update prices often enough you get a good idea of price, we always refer to WiKi Camps and Fuel Map and have found them most helpful.