Mains water taste awful.

Hiluxpanda

Mar 20, 2013
So we are on our 2nd trip in out 17.56-2 have absolutely cannot drink the water anymore. iharasses like plastic so badly my kids can't drink it. Initially I though somehow I was pulling water from the tanks but we are plugged to to 240v and maiNs water. Thought it might be the parks water, but when I go to the tap and taste it is fine. Tasted water out of the shower head and it also tastes like rubbish.

Cant work out why it tastes so bad something is happening between the mains tap and the outlet that is making it taste horrible. Any ideas?

we will have to buy water from town to drink and cook with after we cooked hot dogs and they also tasted strongly of plastic.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I have heard the blue hoses from bunnings can do that,is it a blue or white hose?
I've heard the same thing our white hose is 6 years old and the water still tastes good in ours.
There is a thread on the forum somewhere within the forum too

Edit: found it have a read through here starting at the bottom of Page 1

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Our water always tastes fine. I always draw from my tanks, and top up with "proper" food grade hose (traditional white one and white flat roll up, brass fittings and a good in line filter. How is your tank water?

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Great thread! We too have bad tasting water, and have the blue water hose.
Looks like a quality white drinking water hose is now on the shopping list!

Hiluxpanda

Mar 20, 2013
I have heard the blue hoses from bunnings can do that,is it a blue or white hose?

Its a white hose with a blue stripe on it.

Wherea a good place to get a quality hose for drinkin water? Might see if I can pick one up today to try.

jdove

Aug 23, 2011
Sunshine Coast Qld
I too have the plastic taste with my new Expanda.
I am using the same white food grade hose I kept from my old Dove. With my Dove everything was ok, but with the Expanda it's no good with a strong plastic smell/taste. So I don't know what's going on with this van??

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
We had a bunnings hose and it tasted crap. I took it back
I then got a new white one with blue stripe from CAMEC and the taste is all good.

Have you tried flushing your tanks a few times?

Hiluxpanda

Mar 20, 2013
But if I'm connected to mains then why would the tanks water need flushing?

had a thought on the thunderbox this morning. Might disconnect the hose from the van and taste it as it comes out of there. Trying to isolate the problem.

Hiluxpanda

Mar 20, 2013
Just a side question. Is it possible to be drawing from your tanks when you are connected to mains and 240v?

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I agree with the others that it is most likely your water hose.
Get a good quality food grade one.

Are you also using any sort of filter system prior to the van connection?
I use a B.E.S.T inline filter whenever I connect up mains water, just to be on the safe side.

As you said also, try tasting the water straight out of the park tap before connecting the hose too.

Good luck.

Hiluxpanda

Mar 20, 2013
Yep tasted straight out of the hose. It's definitely the hose.

Cant believe jayco would sell such a dodgy product. Any suggestions about best food grade hoses?

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Great that you found the cause! Not sure where to buy we bought ours from Jayco 10 years ago but they probably have gone to a cheaper supplier .i think those roll flat hoses are good,pricey tho! Or like Matty did a inline filter also.

billykidd

Apr 2, 2013
Brisbane
We have a white and blue drinking hose from Camec, I added a single cartridge filter and never had an issue with bad taste, hose must must be over five years old now.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Glad you've isolated the problem. It might take you a while to get the taste out of the tanks if you filed them with the hose.
I have this one
http://www.getprice.com.au/DRINKING-HOSE-20M-X-125MM-Gpnc_263--58730030.htm
220665.jpg

and it is great.
(Didnt buy from this site, got it at the Penrith show with a hose bag)

RidgePanda

Mar 5, 2013
Barden Ridge
We have the offending blue hose, but use one of those jug filters and it seems to take the tain out, will see when we next camp in a couple of weeks.