Looking at a Fortuner.

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Hi all,

Has been quite sometime since I have been on the forum.
Been busy with running dtr to her usual dancing every other day, finding a lesion on my sons brain by an observant optometrist - son is fine - Lady Cilento have pretty much given the all clear that it isn't anything bad and probably something he was born with and will prob have his entire life with no problems - just monitoring to make sure no change. And amongst all that starting a small business - Northside Decals (only on Facebook at the moment) doing small decals and heat press transfers. So busy busy times.

Now the lease is nearly coming to an end on our mitsushi##y which I have mentioned in other posts how much I have hated from the get go.
Took a new Fortuner for a test drive the other day (manual too!) And absolutely loved it.

Our situation - this will be the main family vehicle.
We have a 14.44-4 Outback so about 1.9t fully loaded.
Definitely prefer free camping and want to do a bit more traveling with the family so will be looking at setting this up for touring.
Due to my severe dislike of our current car (it looked good on paper) we are double questioning ourselves at every point.

As we intend this to be our long term vehicle, I am just looking into what we bundle in to the lease at the outset and what I should just do as we can afford it.

The wish list so far includes:
  • Bullbar (don't really like the Factory bar - have seen a pic of the TJM Alloy so at this stage leaning towards that).
  • Snorkel (really would prefer Safari, but Will look into the Toyota one)
  • Towbar (with 12 pin flat plug - we have a 7pin flat but believe it will go into a 12?)
  • RedArc Tow Pro
  • Dual Battery setup with Engel socket and normal Cig socket in the cargo area. However, need to look into if it is a low voltage/variable alternator in these vehicles? Will the standard RedArc Smart Start SBI 12V 100A (SBI12) do the job?
  • GME UHF radio TX3350
  • Anderson plug (for caravan fridge (only) with low voltage disconnect in van)
  • Spotlight wiring (already have Hella Rallye 4000 from previous vehicle - Will these fit on the bars nowadays or do I have to change to a slimmer LED spotlight - don't really want to as I loved my 4000's!)
  • Protection pack (def thinking aftermarket rather than dealer due to the MASSIVE price differences I am seeing/hearing of) which will include
    • Paint protection (anyone used Opticoat?)
    • Fabric and vinyl protection
    • Window tint
    • Electronic Rust Protection - Do these really work? Seeing reports that they are a waste of money - We don't do beach driving so not an issue from that point.
  • Weathershields
  • Bonnet Protector
  • Headlight protectors
We also looked into the MU-X and took it for a drive - it was nice don't get me wrong, but I just thought the Fortuner was better finished off and felt more comfortable to drive.

Any thoughts and comments?

Thanks

BJ

Jimbo

Sep 29, 2015
Perth
I test drove one last year when they first came out. There is plenty to love, but the 2 things i didn't like -
- The suspension was bloody firm - like driving a hilux (Which I also test drove)
- The brown leather trim - didn't like it.
In the end I ended up with a new Prado. But if my budget was tighter, I would of been happy with the Fortuner.
I used to own the old V6 4Runner, and it was the best car I ever owned.

Reactions: bigcol and Bmhdg76

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Yes I will admit wasn't a fan at first of the brown, but figured the seats I will probably throw seat covers on (especially with the kids) and i didn't mind the door trims too much. Liked it enough that I can easily live with it.

BJ

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
We just went through this.
Payload is low on the Fortuner I think its around 625kg so if you put a Front Bar, Fridge, Fuel and TBM you might run out. We had to add a family of 6 and a TBM of around 275 so we where out of luck :( Did not like the rear third row.
We looked at a MUX and the lower grade had 765kgs and 690kg in the LST top range. Yes it drives like a truck :)
Ended up buying another Land Rover and paying the $'s

Reactions: Bluey

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
We just went through this.
Payload is low on the Fortuner I think its around 625kg so if you put a Front Bar, Fridge, Fuel and TBM you might run out. We had to add a family of 6 and a TBM of around 275 so we where out of luck :( Did not like the rear third row.
We looked at a MUX and the lower grade had 765kgs and 690kg in the LST top range. Yes it drives like a truck :)
Ended up buying another Land Rover and paying the $'s

TBM? Tow ball mass?
There would generally be bugger all in the car as most of our gear is in the Panda...
It would be just the family (so say 250kg's at the moment me being the heaviest!), occasionally the Honda Eu20, again occasionally an Engel 40L and then just small stuff that we chuck in.
I cannot recall what the ball weight is on the van but using the 10% rule would generally not be over 185kg. I do spread the load in the van quite well, with most of the weight above the axle and my two water tanks are just on either side of the axle, so weight is pretty much centralised.

BJ

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
Yes tow ball mass..
So for us it was
Payload 625
TBM 275
Fuel 60kg for 70 liters
People 330. 4 kids, wife and I am fat :) and they growing.
so 665 is over by 40kg..So I have to diet :) and stop kids growing

TBM 185 plus 60kg fuel. 245
Gives you 380kg left
Bull bar and Honda be around 60-70 mark and then second battery.. you get very close.

The payload thing seeing I was checking and adding up annoyed me no end would of saved $ on something else. 7 seats if you used them all you be close to 300kgs if your not Fat :).. add TBM and your close on most.

Colorado7 had the same problems. LTZ 610 payload hence I joked to the guy in Holden the C7 TV advert only has a kid and dad as mum and the other kids could not come as they reached payload with the Silverline. He was less then amused :) I still find it funny if you look at the holden site its all "Get up and Tow" you have to find payload in small print hidden away.
Seems the rear axle setup compared to the ute is the problem as it is not leaf has a lower rating hence the added weight of seats etc and lower rating where you loose your 500kgs off the utes.

Everest and MUX have more in basic models
As said we spent the $'s on a D4 as we use the 7 seats and we struggled to fit two seats across the 2nd row and a person in all of the above.

I am still looking for something for me so still have my eye on a Fortuner even with the silly seats might wait a year or so get one second hand.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
@davemc is right, do the numbers for fitting out the Fourtuna's (4 tuna's - get it................I'm a laugh)

the last thing you want to be doing is sailing so close to your Max, and being peeved by it (like the Bitzamissing)

also

what is the $$$$$ difference between the Playdoh & 4tuna's.......................
and the payload of the Playdoh...........

is it worth looking at?????

Reactions: Bmhdg76

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Thanks @davemc for your clear explanation and thanks @bigcol - told the better half how yr refer to them as Bitzamissing and cracked up!

I was initially considering a Prado but to be honest I felt more comfortable sitting in the Fortuna - seemed to sit higher, and it just seemed better finished in that it doesn't have the air vents just stuck on top of the middle of the dash etc. I would love the larger fuel tank as well. But we would also be pushing at getting it into our garage with a bull bar and the spare hanging off the rear end - got to love modern houses with their pissy little double garages!

Also with the $10k in extra bits that is more than the extras on the Fortuner so price has also won out in the end there. It is by no means a done deal yet, but in my mind I have made the decision... I think.

I think we will be fine with the weight issue as we do travel fairly lightly. I would hate to think of a person towing a 3t van if that was the case - would only be driver and a light passenger when you also have the fuel on board!

As I find out more I will keep posting and any more comments and suggestions PLEASE keep them coming as I want this to be a good touring setup when I am done and a vehicle that will last me a long time to come.

BJ

Reactions: bigcol

collinandkerry

Jun 5, 2013
We have the MU-X. and love it both as a daily drive and use as the tug. we have the suspension upgraded, snorkel, Bull Bar and winch.
The wife drives it as the daily car and then we use it to tow.

Reactions: Sammy D and davemc

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
if you think you be fine on weights then no worries I actually liked the Fortuner and one could eventually be mine at a later date or a Mux:) Unless I get another Mini.
Our van is a lot bigger and heavier then yours at 2780 so the 3 tonne towing we always getting close to end game with them.
I know we settled on getting a Territory when we had the 17.58 and started looking around then upsized the van :)

Seeing I am a little crazy sometimes when it comes to research I looked at the whole payload. Funny a lot of dealers knew nothing about payload they just tell you they can tow 3 tonnes. :)

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Seeing I am a little crazy sometimes when it comes to research I looked at the whole payload. Funny a lot of dealers knew nothing about payload they just tell you they can tow 3 tonnes. :)

It is funny what salespeople at dealerships take interest in. As you said, they only tell you it can tow 3t. Not that it will then only let you carry one 6 pack and a driver when you do!

BJ

Fabulous

Feb 26, 2013
Melbourne
the dealer I spoke to when talking about the Fortuner asked how heavy our van was, given our max is 2.1 tonne, he said we shouldn't have an issue, he proactively advised that it would only be able to tow the 3 tonne under the correct conditions.

Good on the dealer in this instance.

Though they appear pretty good, I didn't like the interior colour all that much, however given we are a year or 2 off updating it is irrelevant to us.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
I thought the fact the Isuzu people had no idea was sad they sell two models. You think a lot of people buy them to tow.. I went into a couple of dealers and they had no idea. I was told there is a GVM upgrade so do not worry, I asked ARB/Pedders not for MUX only DMAX.
Can sort of understand a salesperson selling a Barina then a Colrorado might not know.

The fine print is what always worries me sorry slightly off topic people buy from the 3000 or 3100 towing where the car really cannot at full GVM or loaded with people.
Everest 3 tonne towing.. only if you take 200kgs of payload GVM 3100 GCM 5900.. So its really 2800 towing if you load the car. :)
An article about that here https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-news/2015-ford-everest-can-it-really-tow-3000kg/
Fortuner 2800 in Auto 3000 in Manual. GVM 2750 I cannot find on Toyota website GCM. it looks like you have almost the full tow capacity.
https://www.mr4x4.com.au/driven-the-toyota-fortuner/
MUX GVM 2750 GCM 5750 so full 3 tonne
Land rover D4. GVM 3240 GCM 6740 so full 3500.
Toyota Landcruiser 200 GVM 3350 GCM 6850 so full 3500
Colorado7 GVM 2820 GCM 5700 so less then 3 tonne hence the joke above you need to take 120kgs off payload at 3000. So 620-120=500 minus 300 TBM equals 200kgs minus Fuel 140. Hence Dad and Son only :)
Pajero Sport GVM 2710 GCM 5400. Real towing 2690 not 3100.. Payload of base model 665.. So to tow 3100 as they claim I have no idea how unless you have less then 10% TBM . 665-410 leaves 255kg.
I can find one article about this again practical motoring.
https://practicalmotoring.com.au/ca...i-pajero-sport-exceed-review-on-and-off-road/

You see article like the below where the 3100 Pajero towing is a selling point
http://www.carsguide.com.au/head-to...vs-mitsubishi-pajero-sport-gls-20160212-39596

Then the Tare/Kerb weight. Some are full of fluids. Some are only 10 litres fuel and some are fuel/fluids and 80kg driver.
Most do not mention how so you normally go 10 litres fuel.

Reactions: bigcol and Fabulous

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
As most have said, your payload "may" be compromised down the track. Think about when the kids get older and heavier whether that affects things. Also you'd want to be doubly sure you don't want or need to upgrade the van in the forseeable future as well, this may complicate things even more.

Personally, I could never own one.......all the jokes about driving around in a quartet of fish would drive me nuts:D

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
@davemc , don't mind about the slight sideways step off topic as it is something we have to take into consideration.
I have the brochure and of course it only has the GVM, not the GCM.

However, quick search I have found this:
https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-advice/reader-help-choosing-a-4x4-to-tow-a-19ft-caravan/
(don't know how accurate), but it states:
"My intention was to initially purchase a new Toyota Hilux but the size put me off. The new Toyota Fortuner has received some very good reviews and I am leaning towards the Crusade, Towing capacity 2800 (Auto) Tare 2135, GVM 2750 and GCM 5545. Do not have back axle weight capacity or tow bar capacity details (waiting on Toyota to advise)."
then:
"
Practical Motoring Says:
We’ve covered this in detail on our Everything You Need to Know about Towing Heavy Trailers article which includes definitions of terms used here, but here’s a recap using Fortuner-specific details.

First we look at the Gross Combination Mass (GCM), which is 5545kg. The sum of the Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM) is 2750kg and max braked tow capacity is 2800kg (auto, manuals are 3000kg), totaling 5550kg or very nearly the same as the GCM. This means that the Fortuner can tow its maximum weight at only 5kg under its GVM, which is excellent, most wagons don’t even come close.

Next we subtract the tare weight from the GVM to find the payload, so 2800 – 2135 = 615kg. That’s how much the car can carry. Based on the calculation above, if we are to tow a 2800kg trailer then that becomes 610kg, or we can go to 615 and tow a 2795kg trailer.

However, we’re not finished yet. The maximum braked tow weight is 2800kg, which means a 10% towball mass of 280kg and that for Toyotas comes out of the payload, so we have 615kg – 280kg = 330kg. The figure of 330kg doesn’t go very far if you subtract two adults of say 80kg each, leaving 170kg…not much when you look at luggage, some accessories and the like. However, it’s no worse than most other comparable wagons, and better than many, especially the top-spec Everest.

So the bottom line for the Fortuner is – you can load it to the its GVM while towing a trailer 5kg below 2800kg, provided you accept you’ll have only 330kg of payload in the Fortuner. We don’t have rear axle loading figures but Toyota is normally pretty good on that score so let’s assume for the moment that’ll be within limits.

Now onto your trailer, which has an ATM of 2530kg, 270kg less than 2800kg. So we have a TBM of 10% or close enough to 250kg, leaving us 345kg of payload…still not a lot after the weight of two adults is subtracted. The Fortuner can be fully loaded to its GVM of 2750kg as 2750 + 2350kg = 5100kg, less than the GCM of 5545kg. It’ll be safe to assume that the trailer will be loaded to its ATM."

So let me see if I can convert this correctly...
GCM: 5545kg
GVM: 2750kg
Max Braked towing capacity (manual): 3000kg
Payload: 615kg
10% TBM: 190kg (my 14.44-4)
payload now is 615kg - 190kg = 425kg

If so, for what we take with us in the car would be ok plus accessories etc. Am I correct?

BJ

Reactions: Jimbo and bigcol

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
with payload see if you can work out what the kerb/Tare is worked out. I found this on the toyota website
https://www.toyota.com.au/owners/accessories/payload
Kerb Mass (or Kerb Weight): is the mass of the vehicle in running order unoccupied and unladen with all fluid reservoirs filled to nominal capacity, including fuel and with all standard equipment.

Seems from the above its fuel so a bonus :) I hope thats for all vehicles.
So your 425kgs is for people and accessories if you think thats cool then great. looks a great tug.
Fridge be 25-30kg plus beer
Front Bar 40-60kgs
Dual battery 25kgs
Tow ball 10kgs
WDH weight as well

@Dobbie has a zip file here might help you
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/a-suggestion-for-checking-important-weights.8710/page-2

Reactions: Bmhdg76 and bigcol

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
About time they give weights with everything full.
Now to get Jayco to do the same - fill the gas bottle water tanks etc!

BJ.
and thats why is hard to compare. and as if Jayco would.. although gas and water easier to work out.
Its all the other crap I put in there :)

Land Rover is full plus a person.
MUX 10 litres fuel

No idea Colorado or Everest?