16' Series Longer Drawbar - worthwhile or not?

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
Looks good @S&P .
I can recommend www.toolboxcenter.com near chadstone.
They have done my toolbox plus a mod to it at what I thought were good prices.

I know they do the toolboxes for the lotus range of caravans also which I think use black checkerplate.
I have the older silver checkerplate expanda, but if you have the later black checkerplate version, then you may be able to get them to make it in the black color instead.
Thanks Brad, will give them a buzz for sure, the black checker would look pretty swish if I can get it.
I'll post a pic of the CAD/whatever they use drawing once I green light it.
Was thinking to put a couple of fridge slides in each end to save me from having to drag the weber and genie out through the hole, but might trial run it without first.
Cheers,
Paul

Paul75

Jul 28, 2013
Gippsland, VIC
G'day Paul,
I recently got a quote from the Toolbox Centre in Oakleigh (which I think is the one Brad is referring to above) for a very similar size to what you have got in your picture. It came out to $1300 which included the black powder coating. Was a fair bit more than what I was expecting so I'd be interested to see what quote they come back for you.

Paul75

Jul 28, 2013
Gippsland, VIC
Ok, so $1300 including the powder coating may not be unreasonable. I also asked for 2mm checker plate but with a 3mm flat sheet bottom.
Thanks for your reply.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
We have the longer drawbar. Originally it was for a box which I still haven't completed! Definetly worthwhile IMO. Getting your wheels further away from the tug only helps it tow better and reduce sway as well. Of course there's a couple of drawbacks. Main one I notice is it takes longer for the van to come around when backing.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
yeppers I have the longer Draw Bar as well
more room for my Box on the front (once I finalize the drawing of what I want)
@achjimmy I find the longer bar easier for reversing - maybe just me.......

cheers

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
Yeah, the fact that we are now getting a van with the extended draw bar is one of the few benefits of the stuff up we had with the previously ordered van.
The box I'm looking at building (having built) will be 1800mm long and about 530mm deep, so I hope the extended drawbar will give me the clearance needed, especially since I'm getting the box made prior to delivery (no time to mess around after delivery).
Will be moving the gas bottles to in front of the box, and removing the spare wheel from underneath at the front, to under the van at the rear on a spare-wheel winder.
Cheers,
S&P

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
yeppers I have the longer Draw Bar as well
more room for my Box on the front (once I finalize the drawing of what I want)
@achjimmy I find the longer bar easier for reversing - maybe just me.......

cheers

Yeah it easier just gotta remember it takes longer, but of you have had the same before maybe you don't notice (we had a std drawbar 16ft)

TTBRIDGE

Mar 12, 2013
Brisbane - Northside (North Lakes)
@S&P This is the unit i made for ours, with the extend drawbar. I also moved the gas bottles forward a bit on a new cradle that i galvanised. As i wanted to retain the factory look i powder coated mine. The factory allow plate is powder coated in Semi Gloss.

Also for reference it is propeller plate that is used. But comes no thicker than 1.6 from memory. So i did this, with a 3mm plane alloy floor. Came up really well, and give us so much storage room.

IMG_1382.JPG

IMG_1439.JPG

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
@S&P This is the unit i made for ours, with the extend drawbar. I also moved the gas bottles forward a bit on a new cradle that i galvanised. As i wanted to retain the factory look i powder coated mine. The factory allow plate is powder coated in Semi Gloss.

Also for reference it is propeller plate that is used. But comes no thicker than 1.6 from memory. So i did this, with a 3mm plane alloy floor. Came up really well, and give us so much storage room.
G'day TTBridge,
Box looks pretty schmick in black, what are the dimensions of the box? What's the difference between propeller plate and checker plate?
I reckon I'll end up doing something similar with my gas bottles too. How did you go about extending the original copper line (reg to van side)?
Cheers,
S&P

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
@S&P the propeller plate is thinner - slightly more flexible and far easier to use
and
the last time I brought some, it was cheaper than the same gauge in checker plate.

cheers

TTBRIDGE

Mar 12, 2013
Brisbane - Northside (North Lakes)
G'day TTBridge,
Box looks pretty schmick in black, what are the dimensions of the box? What's the difference between propeller plate and checker plate?
I reckon I'll end up doing something similar with my gas bottles too. How did you go about extending the original copper line (reg to van side)?
Cheers,
S&P

@S&P as stated above it is thinner and only comes in thin sheet.

Although the biggest differane is the apperance. If you have a close look at mine, it is one bar (rasied rib) in one direction, and then another one bar across the top and bottom. This is propeller plate.

Then as it turn out, if you look down the side of this forum screen, there is an image of tread plate. In this image you wll notice it has 4 raised bars in one direction, then 4 raised bars in the opposing direction. This is tread plate, it is by far the most common due to thickness available.

As for copper line, i cut the pipe back at the drawbar and used a pipe joiner, this is a gas fitting, with swaged ends. I do gas work in my line of work so that one was easy. I then just extended the length and made a joint at the regulator. Then screwed if off to the DB.

Box size, it is 1900mm at the back, 1595mm at the front (I matched the DB angle to keep the lines the same) 500 wide, and total height including lid is 480mm. The latches were are a thrmb push from a genearl engineering store.

I have the box drawn up in cad and could provide a PDF if you like, just PM me your email.

navmatt

Jan 20, 2014
Ayr/Glenden Nth Qld
Just on the jockey wheel front, after reading on here about getting it relocated to inside the drawbar to prevent fouling the WDH. I emailed the jayco dealer we are dealing with for our order and he said it can't be done due to the brake line..... I got back to him expressing my concern about it and haven't heard back yet, I'm assuming he is making enquires about it. We got a quote of $300 for the extended drawbar which I am happy with as down the track in certainly will be doing something of a storage box up there

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
Just on the jockey wheel front, after reading on here about getting it relocated to inside the drawbar to prevent fouling the WDH. I emailed the jayco dealer we are dealing with for our order and he said it can't be done due to the brake line..... I got back to him expressing my concern about it and haven't heard back yet, I'm assuming he is making enquires about it. We got a quote of $300 for the extended drawbar which I am happy with as down the track in certainly will be doing something of a storage box up there
G'day navmatt,
Jayco also quoted me $300 for the extended drawbar and it's money well spent as far as I'm concerned. It's not like you can easily get it done after market anyway.
Re the jockey wheel inside, the dealer (Bayswater Jayco) said it should be fine and they do get it requested from time to time anyway and haven't had issues thus far. And from what I have read in the forums, other members have also had it done.
Cheers, S&P

shiraz

Oct 22, 2012
sellicks hill s.a
Longer Drawbar - worthwhile or not?

If we ever change the xpanda Yes extended drawbar would be First on list, either that or wield a stronger rear bumper bar on the bt50
you can see where we have reversed to tightly and marked bumper.No it was not a shopping trolley.
one of the disadvantages of travelling down narrow dirt roads and free camping, is parking in tight places, the joy of a poptop and movable solar panels are great, but if caravan pks are the norm safer to have roof mounted.
Keep up all the Mods one of you may be driving our next van.

shiraz