18' Series Lighting and battery

Tom and Gemma

Nov 8, 2020
Darwin
Hi there, first time post so please go easy on me ha ha . we have recently brought a 2006 jayco expanda but I’m just trying to get my head around the electric set up. We have plugged in to the mains and our aircon and , microwave work but none of the lights, I read a previous post saying it runs through your battery but I thought that if you were plugged in then this should charge your battery. Sorry if this is a stupid question I just have no idea!

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Hi @Tom and Gemma , and welcome. You probably have not found your battery switch which looks just like a small house switch. Simply turn this on to allow 12v to supply our lights.
Hi @Tom and Gemma and welcome to the forum. @chartrock has already supplied you with the answer, but be aware that all the lighting is 12 volt and run in a separate circuit/system to the 240 volt AC line. Any 240 volt AC hookup will automatically direct current to your battery management system from which you will get 12 volt DC power for lights and other items requiring 12 volts DC. BUT make sure you have the battery switch in the "On" position and battery is connected and has some sort of charge and not dead. Failure to do this will result in no 12 volt power. Also check 12 volt fuses on power distribution panel (Setec ST20 Series II ???)

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
you need to first look for the Setec Battery Charger / power supply. It has black rectangular faceplate.
When you have found it , you need to check what model it is. It is most likely a ST20 Series II. This is easily confirmed as it will have only one red led (error status) on the front panel and behind the fuse cover there will be 5 load fuses and one battery fuse (the one on the far right).
If it is a series III, there will be three leds on the front panel, green (240V present), yellow (12V battery present) , and red (error status) and behind the fuse cover there are 8 load fuses and one battery fuse, again the one on the far right.

Check if a battery is fitted or not. If there is a battery there will most probably be a white battery switch nearby that looks like a normal household light switch.

First check that the Setec is actually plugged into 240V and if so, the power point is switched on. Best to grab a small appliance and double check that 240V power is actually available at that power point.

There is no 240V power indicator on a Series II.

The Setec will normally supply 12V to power your lights, stove ignition, etc regardless if a battery is fitted or not. And also regardless of whether the battery switch is on or off. And also regardless of whether the battery fuse is blown or not.

I have attached a manual for the Setec Series II to assist you.

If in doubt, post some photos of your setup so we know what you have and in a better position to assist you.

If you don't already have one, get hold of a inexpensive digital multimeter. Easily found at Super Cheap Auto, Repco, Altronics, Jaycar, Road Tech Marine. It will set you back no more than $20.

There is no point giving further information until it is established what brand and model power supply / charger is installed, whether it is actually connected to a power point, and whether a battery is installed or not.

with kindest regards
Mike

Attachments

• ST-II-User-Manual.pdf
    200.7 KB · Views: 291

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Hi,
you need to first look for the Setec Battery Charger / power supply. It has black rectangular faceplate.
When you have found it , you need to check what model it is. It is most likely a ST20 Series II. This is easily confirmed as it will have only one red led (error status) on the front panel and behind the fuse cover there will be 5 load fuses and one battery fuse (the one on the far right).
If it is a series III, there will be three leds on the front panel, green (240V present), yellow (12V battery present) , and red (error status) and behind the fuse cover there are 8 load fuses and one battery fuse, again the one on the far right.

Check if a battery is fitted or not. If there is a battery there will most probably be a white battery switch nearby that looks like a normal household light switch.

First check that the Setec is actually plugged into 240V and if so, the power point is switched on. Best to grab a small appliance and double check that 240V power is actually available at that power point.

There is no 240V power indicator on a Series II.

The Setec will normally supply 12V to power your lights, stove ignition, etc regardless if a battery is fitted or not. And also regardless of whether the battery switch is on or off. And also regardless of whether the battery fuse is blown or not.

I have attached a manual for the Setec Series II to assist you.

If in doubt, post some photos of your setup so we know what you have and in a better position to assist you.

If you don't already have one, get hold of a inexpensive digital multimeter. Easily found at Super Cheap Auto, Repco, Altronics, Jaycar, Road Tech Marine. It will set you back no more than $20.

There is no point giving further information until it is established what brand and model power supply / charger is installed, whether it is actually connected to a power point, and whether a battery is installed or not.

with kindest regards
Mike

Excellent detailed description Mike @mikerezny. Tidied up my vague instructions. I think the main problem will be if the switch to the Setec is "ON" and if cable to Setec is actually connected. Easy to accidentally bump it and connection to power point when in that area.

Reactions: mikerezny