Just Browsing leak at mains water in on nrv

Docinga

Jan 2, 2021
Clayton Bay, SA
So as a newbie we picked up our 1st Jayco Expanda (2nd hand) and on inspection noticed water leaking under van. Place we bought it from fixed it (or so they said - knew I should have checked). When we went to do our shakedown at home noticed it leaking under van again and they had replaced the NRV pressure relief with just a JG one way valve.

I have now purchased a few plumbing bits and pieces including a JG NRV pressure relief valve and replaced what they had done.

So on testing, water just started pouring out from the inlet side of the valve. The only way I could stop it was by physically holding the join tight together. Even after several attempts of reseating the hose it still leaks. I just have to wonder due to the shortness of the inlet hose that it doesn't sit square enough in the seating to get a flush join in the connector. Open to thoughts on this.

Is it easy to replace the mains inlet hose coming from up on the side of the van so that i can get more hose underneath, to make for a better inline setup or should I just bypass this all together and setup a new mains connection point under the van where I can get it all running straight. If so not sure what parts are around for doing this with 12mm hose or does JG have something in their range.

Any help for a greehorn greatly appreciated.
Scott

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
It often the case that folk throw away the PRV as they cause problems and are basically useless....... The Guest NRV is a must to have inline though otherwise when on tank supply you will pump water out thru the mains inlet........... The JG hose and fittings is good for 120 psi .....

By your description I would say its the fit thats causing the leak, JG fittings do require a mostly straight on fit, the end needs to be a 90 deg cut and no scoring in the plastic for at least the first inch, push the hose in and pull it back so it locks................. lots of van they are very short on any extra in plumbing or wiring.... throwing in a 90 deg connector can sometimes remedy the problem.

Lots of us have moved the mains inlet to under the van, saves leaks inside if they fail...... The pipe is available from most RV shops along with JG fittings, I redid the water lines on my 14.44 and came away with a good metre of pipe that wasn't needed along with a few fittings, an increase in pressure was the reward for taking out some lazy plumbing runs......... this pipe is still in the spares box so I have never needed to buy any....... the pipe colour doesn't mean a thing other than to ID the line be it hot or cold so black, red or blue can be used for any they are all the same specs......

Have a wander around here as there are a few threads with ideas put into practice on this subject......... If you do want to replace the PRV go to Bunnings and get one, you will save a carton of beer against an RV shop price.

I have done some changes in here: https://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/drovers-14-44-3.4502/

Lastly welcome to the mob, others will certainly chime in with ideas so you will get a broad view..................... Pics are always a great help along with the Model of whatever you have a question about, so many types so the best description is always a help.................. We like to hear how things went............

Docinga

Jan 2, 2021
Clayton Bay, SA
It often the case that folk throw away the PRV as they cause problems and are basically useless....... The Guest NRV is a must to have inline though otherwise when on tank supply you will pump water out thru the mains inlet........... The JG hose and fittings is good for 120 psi .....

By your description I would say its the fit thats causing the leak, JG fittings do require a mostly straight on fit, the end needs to be a 90 deg cut and no scoring in the plastic for at least the first inch, push the hose in and pull it back so it locks................. lots of van they are very short on any extra in plumbing or wiring.... throwing in a 90 deg connector can sometimes remedy the problem.

Lots of us have moved the mains inlet to under the van, saves leaks inside if they fail...... The pipe is available from most RV shops along with JG fittings, I redid the water lines on my 14.44 and came away with a good metre of pipe that wasn't needed along with a few fittings, an increase in pressure was the reward for taking out some lazy plumbing runs......... this pipe is still in the spares box so I have never needed to buy any....... the pipe colour doesn't mean a thing other than to ID the line be it hot or cold so black, red or blue can be used for any they are all the same specs......

Have a wander around here as there are a few threads with ideas put into practice on this subject......... If you do want to replace the PRV go to Bunnings and get one, you will save a carton of beer against an RV shop price.

I have done some changes in here: https://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/drovers-14-44-3.4502/

Lastly welcome to the mob, others will certainly chime in with ideas so you will get a broad view..................... Pics are always a great help along with the Model of whatever you have a question about, so many types so the best description is always a help.................. We like to hear how things went............
cheers for that. it confirms my suspicion and I will look to move the mains inlet to under the van to get me a straight line into the PRV. will check out your other thread later today.