LCD TV mounting

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
For me I would've trying to bolt something on for maximum strength. But it depends on where you drill through and how you manage to access the nut on the other side....

I am a bit confused when you say you are mounting this outside.
I am assuming this is a permanent fixture.
Have you thought how you will protect it from the elements?

Can you provide more info on what your thoughts were around mounting this.

2Dogs

Jan 13, 2012
Werribee, Victoria
Thanks for the reply Brad.
Only the mounting bracket will be permanant. The Tv will be removed during transport or when not in use. Whilst on the go i will have the tv mounted on another bracket inside the van.

On the opposite side of the wall is the kitchen, so therefore bolting is the best option,as long as i use washers to spread the load and not squash the wall structure.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Ok...

Got some more questions for you to think about.
- Will the bracket rust in the weather?
- How are you working out where to drill holes and make sure you don't hit something in the wall?

2Dogs

Jan 13, 2012
Werribee, Victoria
The bracket is powdercoated so rust wont be an issue. I will use marine grade stainless steel bolts.

As for drilling the holes i have no idea...
Was going to try one of the cable finders that are used in houses....but not sure if they will work. I can look inside all the cupboards and see whats on the side.
As its and outback the bracket will sit pretty low on the wall just above the checker plate..

The plate of the bracket is around 120x120mm with 4 fasterners so that should reduce the chance of hitting anything.

Have also heard that if you contact jayco with the chassis number that can send you some structural info of whats in the walls.

Any tips also greatfully accepted

Doogle

Mar 18, 2011
Melbourne, Victoria
I'd certainly be speaking to jayco to find out what's in the walls.
They may even be happy to install it for you (for a fee of course)?

Otherwise, is it not feasable to use a portable table to put the TV on when you want to use it outside?

Dave

2Dogs

Jan 13, 2012
Werribee, Victoria
We used to use a table but found the wind can blow them over as they dont weigh much but have a big area for the wind to catch.

I think you are right, i may take it to jayco, which isnt easy as i live in werribee, right in the middle of Page Bros/prestige and ballarat..(each of them about an hr away)

thanks

Doogle

Mar 18, 2011
Melbourne, Victoria
Hmmm....the wind would be an issue, unless you could modify the table so you could peg the legs into the ground (maybe a few well-placed holes into the legs ??).

I know the feeling. I am in Sydenham, so also an hour away from Geelong, Ballarat or Bendigo...LOL.
But if you want to mount it to the external side of the van, I'd at least call them and speak to them about it....if not go and see them (with or without the van).

The last thing you want to do is drill holes through the walls to cause damage or another issue and Jayco may turn around and say you've void your warranty by doing so.

Something to consider...

Dave

Doggy

Aug 20, 2011
Cairns , NTH QLD
Ay 2dogs I was born & bred in old Werribee town. was down there at xmas visiting my folks. Man It used to be called a town. Now its a major city.
It definently dont have its charm as it used to, and the traffic my oh my. Lol !

2Dogs

Jan 13, 2012
Werribee, Victoria
The bracket i have chose is in two part. One part will be 12mm thick on the side of the van, the other half is 16mm which is bolted to the tv. The tv is slid down so both halves interlock. The back of the tv will sit 19mm away from the van wall right next to the power outlet.
Although the you other ideas are excellent i just think will be easier to use. No need to carry an extra table ot something to hold a tv.
When not in use it is simply removed and hung on an identicle bracket soewhere inside the van so it doesnt get pinched.
The bracket will be painted white (but can only buy silver or black) and costs $15.00.

I will speak to Jayco....
once done ill post some pics.

darren

2Dogs

Jan 13, 2012
Werribee, Victoria
This is the look im trying for... but my tv will sit closer to the van.

Sorry if ive broken any rules by uploading them

Doggy , Yes you are correct werribee has grow lots.....and far to quick for the council to fix the roads!!! (as usual)

Attachments

• blue-heeler-exterior.jpg
    blue-heeler-exterior.jpg
    495.3 KB · Views: 415
  • patriot-se-outside-tv-mount.jpg
    patriot-se-outside-tv-mount.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 346

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I reacon if you were able to get some sort of internal plan like you said then you would be able to give this a good go.
Based on some of the things I have done in the past, I have found a channel running up the wall anywhere a power outlet is attached. But without the plans, I would be doubtful as to where to put the holes.
Something else to think about, have you thought about how to rout the antenna outside of the van? If you plan on putting a splitter into the antenna line then I would definately go with a powered antenna to bump the signal strength back up.
Also, I was thinking about the external table system. That surely would need to support more weight than a TV.
I think that is attached with screws. Perhaps you could investigate how Jayco attach that to a van. I bet it includes a full tube of silicone :)

2Dogs

Jan 13, 2012
Werribee, Victoria
The antenna isnt needed as the tv plays movies directly from a 500gb hard drive which is Double sided taped to the back of the TV..
We copy some kids movies to it so if it rains it should keep them ammused

If we want to watch a tv station we can use the tv inside the van,its boosted already.

bully66672

Jun 30, 2011
Melbourne
Mines attached inside the van and the arm is long enough to swing the tv outside the door.
You can't close the door while the tv is out but the kids open and close the door that much that it doesn't bother me appart from the odd mozzie or fly.
What about a side mount table attached to the van, can double as a drinks table etc

Cheers

Doogle

Mar 18, 2011
Melbourne, Victoria
Would it be a possibility to make your own stand (similar to a weighted outdoor umbrella stand)?
You should be able to easily make a base with X-shaped feet (perhaps out of steel for strength) with holes at the end of each of the 4 feet so they could be pegged into the ground and at the top of the upright shaft you could connect the TV mount?
If extra security was required during windy weather you could use a few short guy ropes for additional peace of mind.

This would mean you could position it wherever you like (to reduce sun glare etc.) and if manufactured with portability in mind, could easily be disassembled for easy storage inside the van.
It would also mean you don't need to drill through your van walls.

Just thinking out aloud....and trying to think outside the box at alternate solutions for you....LOL

Dave

Jan 24, 2012
adelaide
outside tv

when we ordered our expanda we added the small shelf that drops down under the awning,had an antenna plug fitted right alongside it.looks good and is a jayco accessory and is easily fitted and is strong folds up neatly locks closed.wouldnt do any other way .

Kebsy56

Jan 17, 2012
St leonards vic
Hi 2dogs I'm kebsy a new member here.I made a bracket that hangs off the bottom strut bracket out of 50mm alloy.No need to drill holes in your van.Just 2 screws in strut bracket and they stay there. Pick up our new van on thursday i will fit on the weekend and put some pics up
Cheers Kebsy

2Dogs

Jan 13, 2012
Werribee, Victoria
Update...

Hae just back from long weekend to Lake eildon so havent done waything.
Have ordered two lcd mounts (the link in my original post).
Will get one of them powder coated white . Then will get then van down to jayco geelong and get em to fit it to outside wall.
I have also sourced a weather/water proof antenna socket. I will mount this just under the van behind the mudflap if i want to watch tv. This will be connected to the booster thats mounted inside the van. Not ideal but saves running a antenna cable through the wall... (i might even see if jayco can do it properly) but it depends on cost..

Ill send pics once completed.. (might be a week or two though)

ps Kebsy will be interested to see that, thanks