Land Rover Discovery 3/4 how do you connect up?

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
thanks @Flanders. Now need to work out which way I go. I could wire it myself although I get it done via auto elec need to get reverse camera put in as well.
Is that the standard towball? How do you go with the Outback with it. Another thing to think of if I go mitch hitch. Just keep spending $'s though.

Flanders

Mar 13, 2013
Just North of Melbourne
thanks @Flanders. Now need to work out which way I go. I could wire it myself although I get it done via auto elec need to get reverse camera put in as well.
Is that the standard towball? How do you go with the Outback with it. Another thing to think of if I go mitch hitch. Just keep spending $'s though.

My advice is if you are not 100% in knowing what you are doing, use someone that does! Ends up usually costing less in the long run in my experience. Yes the dollars keep adding up! I did a 1/2 lap of Oz last year, no dramas with the standard tow ball, what is your concerns with the standard set up?. I am currently tossing up between a McHitch and a Hitchmaster D035, leaning towards McHitch due to being about 1/2 the price.

Reactions: davemc

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
When you go on aurlo etc to look they are all get rid of standard tow and add aux battery. We will be doing black road for a while so do not think all the extras are needed.
Hence asking the question here rather the their.

Yes will get it done professionally. As said normally done all the car 12v stuff myself previously

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
Aftermarket Primus IQ have a Disco 3. Ringing tomorrow to see if they can replace the white plug with a 12 pin add the resistor for LED's
Tempted to get caravan camera ran throug spares on 12 pin. Just think i am over complicating it though :)

Oct 19, 2012
thanks very much - sounds like that might be the go for me too. Land Rover want to fit theirs to ensure no warranty voiding but it is 3 times the aftermarket price. I was thinking the same replace the white with a twelve pin and have an anderson plug added at the same time with a dual battery. the camera on the back would be pretty handy though!

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I haven't been around much lately to put in my 2 cents worth.
I didn't change to the mitch hitch, namely cos the Jayco hitch sits so low. Thus the standard hitch means everything sits level. If I was changing to a van with a higher hitch, then I'd fit a Mitch.

I've kept both 12 N&S and tucked the ando up as per the first pic. Does the job for me and is hidden behind the panel (if and when I fit it). Considered fixing as per Flanders - how I had it on the Pathy - but was too lazy and now decided I'm happy as it is.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
thanks the Jayco dealer was not keen to swap to Anderson and round plug so I will look to swap the white plug for a 12 pin like below on Friday depending what the Auto Electrician says. Need to get reverse camera lead in back as well not sure it will fit
jayco-12-pin-jpg.jpg

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
has anyone used a mitchel hitch on the discovery?
if you look on Aulro a lot of people do.
If we have a problem with the Outback and the current Plough we will have to think about this.
There is a Disco around the corner which has a different towball hitch not a mitch hitch. Might take the dog for a walk later for a picture :) Rather not spend any more cash.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
Update got the 12 pin in where the white plug was also caravan cable sitting there waiting to hook up.
Got number plate camera on and 7" display in center dash consoler. So will run cable for Starcraft when it comes.
Paid extra to get a Redarc unit and they rang the wiring down to the 12 pin.
They said you prob should go Anderson and round 7 pin, said Jayco dealer did not want to do it :(

@DaveS or anyone a question do Jayco's have load resistors for the LED's or do you think they add them.
Not sure we will get the flashing LED's problem auto elec said he rather not put them in car because of heat.
He also added he hates doing Land Rovers :)

Flanders

Mar 13, 2013
Just North of Melbourne
@DaveS or anyone a question do Jayco's have load resistors for the LED's or do you think they add them.
Not sure we will get the flashing LED's problem auto elec said he rather not put them in car because of heat.
He also added he hates doing Land Rovers :)[/QUOTE]

The dealer I purchased from put resistors on the van for me (Prestige Geelong). They were not expensive, and they knew exactly what I needed when I spoke to them about it, said they do it for a lot of people. They have not missed a beat, all works very well.

coled1970

May 27, 2012
Hunter Valley, Newcastle
When we purchased our van (2nd hand) the previous owners had range rover, they had a box fitted to the draw bar designed for the LED issue. the wiring runs from box and has the connector to plug straight into the vehicle.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
or anyone a question do Jayco's have load resistors for the LED's or do you think they add them.
He also added he hates doing Land Rovers :)

Jayco don't wire them as standard.
you've got a few choices
1. Buy an shunt pack - common for European cars. $249 on ebay. This is what I currently have cable tied to the drawer bar of the van. Overpriced, but works fine.
2. Fit a load resistance -
http://www.narva.com.au/products/browse/led-load-resistor-2 $30-40 for two. As noted is earlier post, just needs to be wired in paralell to the indicator wire behinf the RHS rear panel where the hitch receiver lives if not being left on the car.
Alternaitvely, even cheaper is a 21W traditional indicator globe wired in parallel the same way.

I haven't noticed the shunt pack get hot, but it is on the outside on the drawbar and in a large box. I believe the Narvas get warm, (the pack says to get then away from other wires) and no idea about the globes.

Everyone hates working on LRs if they don't understand them - but they'd probably say the same about most European cars if they worked on them too.... :) They're all done the same way

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
going to get a Auto Elec to fit one on the Van before pickup. Yes someone else said wire in a globe somewhere :)
Thought about the Shunt Pack seen them on ebay not sure they have 12 pin flat.

Yes they said Mercs and Land Rovers they really should not touch, I know one of the problems with the Disco is most of the looms are there for stuff that is not :) Makes it harder to tap into stuff.

Now the worry I have is the disco plough with the new outback. Adjustable tow balls.. Need to wait to the guy down the street gets back from Easter :)