Keeping hotdogs hot when hiking.

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
www.expandasdownunder.com
This isn`t really a great recipe for a complex dinner, more of a tip for a nice warm hotdog when you`ve been hiking or driving, away from your set up in cold weather.

If you boil frankfurts for hotdogs, a great way to keep them hot is to place the frankfurts in a thermos filled with hot water. Take your rolls & sauce in a pack with you and simply take them out at lunch or dinner time and enjoy nice hot, hot dogs that are just like you`ve cooked them 1 minute ago.

Good if you`ve gone hiking or driving and left all your cooking utensils behind.

An old boating trick I used to do when out fishing all day.

JASA

Mar 15, 2013
Melbourne Vic.
Good idea Coastrunner. I saw some people do this at the footy a while back...better than paying exorbitant price for a very average hotdog at the 'G'

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
This isn`t really a great recipe for a complex dinner, more of a tip for a nice warm hotdog when you`ve been hiking or driving, away from your set up in cold weather.

If you boil frankfurts for hotdogs, a great way to keep them hot is to place the frankfurts in a thermos filled with hot water. Take your rolls & sauce in a pack with you and simply take them out at lunch or dinner time and enjoy nice hot, hot dogs that are just like you`ve cooked them 1 minute ago.

Good if you`ve gone hiking or driving and left all your cooking utensils behind.

Not a new one, but a good one.
We've got a couple of those Dream Pot thingies (purchased them cheap!) and do similar thing while on the road.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
We have been doing this for years to go to the footy in cold wet and windy Melbourne and also for the Philli Island GP and Superbikes but never thought of it for hiking

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD

We use this trick when working underground when we have our "Hotdog Days" Works well as we have no way of heating food!!!

Walks

Sep 15, 2013
Melbourne
Good idea Coastrunner. I saw some people do this at the footy a while back...better than paying exorbitant price for a very average hotdog at the 'G'

They are hands down the worst hot dogs on the planet. WTF is with the rolls? It's like the've frozen then defrosted them 15 times, the pretty much crumble like sand in your hands, can't belive they can actually sell them. I think they are about $8 too. What a joke!!

Reactions: JASA

JASA

Mar 15, 2013
Melbourne Vic.
They are hands down the worst hot dogs on the planet. WTF is with the rolls? It's like the've frozen then defrosted them 15 times, the pretty much crumble like sand in your hands, can't belive they can actually sell them. I think they are about $8 too. What a joke!!

Yep...and then they repeat on you for the next couple of hours :frown-9:

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Nothing beats a hotdog and sauce in fresh bread when out exploring the High Country hey @17triton

Yep or pies, egg and ham rolls or jam donuts. Best $30 ever invested.

image.jpeg