JohngQld's Journey 17.58.3

JohngQld

Jun 17, 2015
Caboolture, Qld
The thought of updating started before Xmas last year while the Expanda was still awaiting repairs. My 2012 5 speed Jeep got upgraded to a MY17 Larado Diesel 8 Speed, and the 5 year warranty is good piece of mind. In February we started looking at the Journey, both the 17.55 Deluxe and 17.58.3. As usual, both had great points and not so good points. The single bed model 17.55 was certainly impressive, just thought the bench space, and rear door not to our liking. The 17.58.3 ticked more boxes so it won out in the end. With a few goodies we wanted, the order was placed in May and delivery in late August. With the usual extras that come as a part of the Outback these days, we added the ESC, Bike racks, Entertainment hatch and external shower. It will have a Kakadu Getaway Annexe along with an extended shade wall for the times we don't wish to put the annexe up. Really couldn't be happier with how it tows, much better I think than my previous single axle units.
The most major mod so far was to remove the upper bunk bed. Thought I would keep it and refit it if ever I sold the van, didn't exactly come out as planned.
Currently in the process of re hashing the shower and sink water waste pipes, just can't believe how they expect you to hook it up.

IMG_2715medium.jpgIMG_2723medium.jpgIMG_2725medium.JPGIMG_2727medium.jpg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Just make sure the tow bar bolts are all torqued up, if they come loose even just slightly you will have no end of pain.............van looks good.............carefull reworking of the plumbing will allow a single drain with no back flow to shower, it is doable on most of them....

JohngQld

Jun 17, 2015
Caboolture, Qld
Hi Drover,
With great work by the dealer, the MY17 bar was replaced no cost by a My16 and all torqued up. The MY17 bar was the subject of a recall, all good now. Apart from my overuse and somewhat messy application of the PVC glue, this is the the single drain. One of the downpipes, didn't receive the expected glue in the factory, and was easily removed. The pipe and fitting size is 25mm Hi Pressure pipe, the 25 mm not having anything to do with the actual size. I think it is a class thing.

IMG_2741med.jpg

Reactions: Drover

halbster

May 13, 2014
Hey mate, whats the reasoning behind removing the top bunk? Obviously not needed, but is good for dumping stuff on like clothes, towels or extra bedding.
Put up a pic if you can would be interested to see what it looks like in the end.

JohngQld

Jun 17, 2015
Caboolture, Qld
Until now, I have carried the stove inside the van using one of those plastic bins with the wheels underneath, but getting it up and down the stairs is not the easiest. I looked at a number of boxes available, but as usual, too big, too small, too deep, and the door can't open upwards, downwards. So with some effort, I designed my own and had it manufactured. It sits on 75 by 6mm steel plates which are U bolted to the rear bumper. The lid is totally removable to make access as easy as possible. I've got just on 40 degrees viewing angle past it for the light and number plate which I read is what is required legally.

BBQbox.jpg BBQbox2.jpg

Our other addition has been gable infill section which allows us to put the porch on the front without the full annexe wall. Opens up heaps of space. I use this area to do the cooking.

porchinfillComplete.jpg

Last edited:

JohngQld

Jun 17, 2015
Caboolture, Qld
During lock down last year, I sat in the Journey and looked at what I liked about it and the things I didn't like. I really got to thinking about a full sized van to remove the putting up and down of the roof and the very limited space. So at the beginning of October we put the wheels in motion to purchase a new van trading in the Journey in the process. I was able to keep it until December to do a final trip to the Sunshine coast before the Christmas holidays. We have been without a van since but this week we pick up the new one after nearly a 10 month wait. I guess from now on I will need to post in the Non Jayco Other Caravans section

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thats a long time to sit and dream........... Look forward to your report on your new rig, sometimes I wish I still had a pop top, windy days, low awnings etc