Jayco van reaches the tip !

Doggy

Aug 20, 2011
Cairns , NTH QLD
Hey all, just a speil to all the knockers of the jayco outbacks out there, (not this site but others).

My lovely missus is a cook/hosty/tour guide for a company that does remote tours to the Tip of Cape York Based in Cairns Nth Qld.
She is on her tour of Duty as I type this & mentioned to me in a phone conversation from The Archer River that a 16-49 had pulled in on there way back from the Tip.
She was so excited & now looks at every van she comes accross in her travels to see that Jayco does have the capacity to hit the Cape.
She talked to the owners, as she does anyone on her travels & relayed what we had ordered. ( 18-57.8 with all the fruit, bells & wistles possible along with Simplicity suspension ) They had no idea the suspension was an option but were wrapped with how the van handled it all. There only voice was why dont they come with a vent that equalizes the air pressure to stop dust coming into the van?

My question is can an after market one of these be fitted & what is it I look for , or the name of them to get one , two or three whatever need be to stop dust entering the van?

Cheers,
Doggy.

Oh yeh, GO THE JAYCO'S !!!!!!!!!!!

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Hey Doggy,
I enquired about the pressure vent for ours last year when we ordered and was told that Jayco no longer offer them. They stated that there wasn't enough proof that they worked so they dropped them.
Having said that, I did about 6000k's of dirt last year with it and the dust wasn't as bad as I was expecting, so it would have been interesting if I did have one fitted.

We did Cape York last year and not knowing the conditions of the road at the time we played it safe and left the vans in Cooktown. After having been on the roads our van would have easily made it to the top (we camped at Loyalty Beach). Knowing what we know now, we would have taken the vans on the PDR and OTT bypass roads up there and then just spent 2 nights in tents on the OTT, rather than the 12 we did.

The Kalumburu road in the Kimberley was 10x worse than the PDR IMO.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I dont know if I'm on the right track but would the volume of air inside the Expanda be to great for a pressure vent to work effectively?
Also what speed would you have to travel at for it to start working.

We towed our 16.49-3 up the Ood trk and through the Painted Desert and the dust inside wasn't that bad and nothing a quick wipe over didn't fix. The way I look at it its part of the trip :wink:
The Painted Desert
565.jpg

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Our old 2005 ob expanda had one and we expected the new expanda to have one fitted but as mentioned we were out of luck no pressure vent

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
Hi all we ordered our 09 van with a vent and they work well i think unless your car is higher than the van also they dont seem to work when a bird hits the flap and breaks the spring thank god for electrical ties!!!!!!!!!
Cheers russell

richard

Jun 9, 2011
Hi all we ordered our 09 van with a vent and they work well i think unless your car is higher than the van also they dont seem to work when a bird hits the flap and breaks the spring thank god for electrical ties!!!!!!!!!
Cheers russell

Do you have a picture of it Russell?

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
We asked for a pressure vent in ours when ordered, also told no, don't do them any more, no proof they work :mmph:

A lot of other van makers do fit them. just need to remember if travelling in convoy on dirt you need to close it or travel about 1 to 2 km behind.

Doggy

Aug 20, 2011
Cairns , NTH QLD
Hey that pic of the pressure vent is exactly the same as a scupper on boats to let the deck drain if to much gets in the boat. They are made of cast aluminium & can be purchased from most quality marine supply shops.
Cheers,
Doggy.
Oh yeah one lad told me to open the toilet vent a little to equalise pressure. Not sure if it works but.

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
NO NO NO don't open the shower vent, the Mrs did that and filled our shower with red dust.

Hey that pic of the pressure vent is exactly the same as a scupper on boats to let the deck drain if to much gets in the boat. They are made of cast aluminium & can be purchased from most quality marine supply shops.
Cheers,
Doggy.
Oh yeah one lad told me to open the toilet vent a little to equalise pressure. Not sure if it works but.

solterb

Mar 10, 2012
Melbourne
Hi I have heard if you have the roof top air con unit that you can turn it to just a fan running on 12 volt to pressure the cabin - anyone heard of this? I currently have a flamingo camper and was looking and installing vents that you can buy from the marine shops that do the job well apparently. We just went to the camping show down in Melbourne and saw the 17.56-1 and are liking the look of it a lot. we have the third one on the way and the plan for a big trip and trying to store clothes and where to sleep them made us decide to start the investigating on upgrading to a 17.56-1

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hi I have heard if you have the roof top air con unit that you can turn it to just a fan running on 12 volt to pressure the cabin - anyone heard of this? I currently have a flamingo camper and was looking and installing vents that you can buy from the marine shops that do the job well apparently. We just went to the camping show down in Melbourne and saw the 17.56-1 and are liking the look of it a lot. we have the third one on the way and the plan for a big trip and trying to store clothes and where to sleep them made us decide to start the investigating on upgrading to a 17.56-1

Not without running a generator. He roof A/C requires 240v even for he fan.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I dont know if I'm on the right track but would the volume of air inside the Expanda be to great for a pressure vent to work effectively?
Also what speed would you have to travel at for it to start working.

We towed our 16.49-3 up the Ood trk and through the Painted Desert and the dust inside wasn't that bad and nothing a quick wipe over didn't fix. The way I look at it its part of the trip :wink:
The Painted Desert

Awsome pic!!!

jvp

Apr 9, 2013
Yorke Peninsula Copper coast SA
Hi. I have bought a 2006 outback expanda which is fitted with a roof mounted pressure vent & have not used it yet.( not mentioned in jayco manuals. Can anybody help with advise on how and when to use this vent & its effectiveness or drawbacks if any on dusty roads. I believe that it is no longer fitted to new expandas anymore. I wonder why?

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
Hi. I have bought a 2006 outback expanda which is fitted with a roof mounted pressure vent & have not used it yet.( not mentioned in jayco manuals. Can anybody help with advise on how and when to use this vent & its effectiveness or drawbacks if any on dusty roads. I believe that it is no longer fitted to new expandas anymore. I wonder why?

Hi jvp use your roof vent on dirt road trips , just make sure that your van is sealed .ie bed ends ,door , bottom of fridge also at the rear of the van theres a fibreglass curved panel which folds under that isnt sealed from factory and dust ends up in the back of the van , tube of cilicone fixes everything .
Fix these things and your pressure vent should work propperly

cheers Russell