JASA's Mods

JASA

Mar 15, 2013
Melbourne Vic.
...Are about to start

Hi All,

I'm about to order a new tool box for the drawbar and a new rear bar for the spare wheel. All going well it should be complete before we head away for the Melbourne Cup long weekend.

I'd be interested in anybody's thoughts re top opening or front opening tool boxes. Obviously you can't open a 'top opening' tool box when the bed end is down, so I have asked MW Toolbox to quote me a couple of side opening doors (see attached sketch). But I wonder whether I'd be better off with a totally rectangle box with a front opening door.

I don't have the extended drawbar (big regret) so the gas bottles will be in the tool box

I'd love to know what others have and what you like or dislike...

Thanks James

IMG_5286.JPG

Reactions: blacky

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Looks good @JASA should be good on the front of the van. Are you still going to take the bikes on the back of the Cruiser ? If so I would make up a cardboard replica to check all clearances? I like the angled corners. A rectangle box I think would have to be narrower maybe.

JASA

Mar 15, 2013
Melbourne Vic.
Yeah thanks Matt, I did that yesterday...hooked up the van, drove to the local car park with the bick rack on with all four bikes, jackknifed the van and measured it all up. I was surprised by how much clearance I had. It helps having the taller bike rack too!

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
What else was going to go in the box? That might determine the best way to have your doors.

JASA

Mar 15, 2013
Melbourne Vic.
What else was going to go in the box? That might determine the best way to have your doors.

The main reason for the box is to carry a 2kva Honda genie and fuel. I'll have some tools in there too, which is why I'll put a side opening door at each end so I can access those sort of things with the bed down.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Was just thinking is there any way of getting perhaps 1 gas bottle in front of the box like @Flanders or do you think that might look silly and a pain to plumb? That would give you a bit more internal room for other stuff.

JASA

Mar 15, 2013
Melbourne Vic.
Was just thinking is there any way of getting perhaps 1 gas bottle in front of the box like @Flanders or do you think that might look silly and a pain to plumb? That would give you a bit more internal room for other stuff.

Yeah @Flanders has done a great job. It looks like he has the extended drawbar which I didn't get (big regret). I'd probably do the same otherwise. I need a bit of room for the WDH too.

Reactions: 17triton

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Yeah @Flanders has done a great job. It looks like he has the extended drawbar which I didn't get (big regret). I'd probably do the same otherwise. I need a bit of room for the WDH too.
Yeah I was trying to say 1 gas bottle located centrally over the drawbar so you can still use theWDH but free up a bit inside.
Cheers Matt.

JASA

Mar 15, 2013
Melbourne Vic.
View attachment 17771 View attachment 17772 Hi JASA,
I have done what 17triton suggested and put 1 bottle on the a frame and 1 in the box. Works a treat. I went for a gullwing style box as I can still access most items with the bed down. Fits a honda genie in easily as well. Also I dont have a extended draw bar. Photos below for you to have a look.

Hi @prado that looks like it works well. I like how you also mounted the tap on the side too

Flanders

Mar 13, 2013
Just North of Melbourne

G'day Jasa. I do have the extended drawbar. One quarter of the box is sealed off to store my jerry cans and a few other things. It would easily fit a gas bottle. As you said though would just be the plumbing issue. The other 3/4 stores my weber, hoses, fishing rod holders, portable toilet, bins etc. plenty of room:D

Reactions: JASA

thomo67

Oct 30, 2012
looks good JASA i can't wait to see what it looks like on the van where did you get it made or from and what cost ???
i am trying to look at getting something like this as well

cheers

Reactions: blacky

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
Wow nice work @JASA , i cant wait either. Thats perfect for me i think. That is, if the front end of the 17.56-1 is the same as the 17.56-2 OB? Love your work buddy, thanks for the post :)

JASA

Mar 15, 2013
Melbourne Vic.
Looks flash JASA. Will you put gas regulator inside of the box?

Hi @prado Yeah the reg will be in the box. I'm looking to have it mounted off centre so I can reach it from one of the side doors! just depends on what the gas plumber says about having longer hoses etc.