17' Series Issues so far on our 17 footer hopefully get it sorted

Ch00ka77

Apr 28, 2012
Maffra VIC
G'day all we'll we are on our big trip up the centre and are now at Townsville for a few days and it's great. had some issues with our expanda so thought I mite share

Usual draw issues

Internal lights fuses blows when we travel and I can't pin point the fault have pulled all lights apart and all looks good

Outside speakers have stopped working

Was just about to leave mt isa and was came out to the car park and found the one tyre half flat and thought I will just plug it and keep going but couldnt find a leak so changed the wheel and took it to the tyre service and we found the rim had cracked on the radius of the rim??? On closer inspection it looks like a casting defect but it has ran a inch either side of the small hole. Contacted page bros who were great and they contacted Townsville jayco for us so we elected to high tail it today to Townsville and went to jayco and I will say the help there was appalling as they basically fobbed us off and said it would take two weeks to get a rim sent from Melbourne I asked if I could take spare from there vans in stock and they replace it and they weren't interested... Have decided to contact page Monday to disuss and based on ther response I will go to a tyre service get the tyre removed then Drill two small dimples either side of the hair line crack and then get a tube fitted

Last night in hughenden when we came back to the van and went to unlock the door and the key would not go in the barrel and we could t get in so I sent the young bloke in through the pop top section under the awning to open the door but it was jammed so I crawed through and had to dismantle the lock assembly and open the door??? And then try to repair the barrel but the internals have collapsed..... I got the door to finally work but we couldnt lock it which is ok. So spoke with jayco in townsville today whilst trying to get anew rim and they had a service guy ther and didn't even look at and but they will Monday morning. I said give me the lock and I will fix it and the reply was you will loose your warranty....

Not a happy camper with what they say a Australia. Wide warranty and service...

Anyway if anyone has advice will appreciate the feedback... Still the best holiday though

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Sorry to hear that Chooka. Not sure how far the next Jayco dealership is, but have you thought about moving onto a more friendly dealership?

Ch00ka77

Apr 28, 2012
Maffra VIC
Yeh will try dealers on our way home down the east coast but will be contacting jayco customer service on Monday to discuss.. To me it should be a no-brainer... Give me a spare from the lot and lock assembly take my details for the warranty and then replace it with a new one as they had several ooutback models in stock... To at least give me one rim.. Anyway kids are having a ball Townsville is a great place. Thanks.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I did not get a great deal of help from the Townsville dealer when I had problems with my fridge door continually opening while travelling. It is a pity some dealers don't seem to know the meaning of the word 'service' while others will bend over backwards to help no matter where you bought the van.

Enjoy the holiday, it's a great part of the country.

Angus

Apr 13, 2012
Brisbane
The roadside assist is not much help either when the electrical safety switch packed it in when we were on holidays at Noosa, I was told no the local dealer can't see you for four days or can you pack the van up and bring it down to the dealer,"no was my response I am on holidays with my family that's what we bought a caravan for" After a phone call to jayco direct they agreed that they will pay for an electrician to come out and fix it and they will send me a cheque to pay me back which was there within the week.

Ch00ka77

Apr 28, 2012
Maffra VIC
All sorted Townsville jayco replaced the lock assembly and I pick up the wheel and rim tonight that they have taken of the lot. This was after I talked with the boss who didn't querie anything. Thanks townsville jayco. Heading off to airlie beach Tuesday and can't wait for a day trip to Hamilton island..

Ch00ka77

Apr 28, 2012
Maffra VIC
Yeh all good now can live with the other issues until we get home. Beaches are great beer is cold, happy wife, happy kids what more could you ask for. Thanks all.

Ch00ka77

Apr 28, 2012
Maffra VIC
Got talking with another expanda owner in the park at airlie beach (2011 model) about our cracked rim and he checked his and found his rim was cracked through the fork al the way through?? Like ours we didn't see any problems until around the 5000km mark and his is the same. He like us is going to contact Townsville jayco tomorrow.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
I wonder is this might have something to do with the wheels not being balanced and subsequently causing stress and subsequent failure of the rim?

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Could possibly be. Has anyone else had issues with there rims ?

I knew there was a thread here somewhere about this! A mate called me this morning who bought a 2012 swan (I think) outback, anyway he's done a few trips now and happy. This morning he moved it into his driveway to prepare for another trip and the tyre went down in seconds. Put spare on and took the wheel to the tyre joint, they found a "porous" rim, small holes in the centre of rim, dodgy casting. Rang dealer and replaced so all good there.

Makes you wonder about quality control in China for rim manufacture!

randl007

Oct 27, 2011
Queensland
I took mine in for a slow puncture or so I thought, the service team there said there is an issue with the rims cracking so they changed the whole rim. I think Jayco are aware of the Problem but are not doing a recall. If you think you Have a puncture I would get it checked. We are just out of warranty and there were no questions asked.

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
I had my rim on the long list of issues, telling them that the rim kept losing pressure.

They have come back admitting that it's a porous rim, but then fobbed me off saying "we have swapped the rim for the spare & we (i.e. me) will keep an eye on it" My response BULL S#@!

Jayco: Ohh we'll talk to Melbourne

Reactions: Ch00ka77

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I had my rim on the long list of issues, telling them that the rim kept losing pressure.

They have come back admitting that it's a porous rim, but then fobbed me off saying "we have swapped the rim for the spare & we (i.e. me) will keep an eye on it" My response BULL S#@!

Jayco: Ohh we'll talk to Melbourne

Did you explain to them what the spare is actually for?

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
:argue: They came to their senses & agreed to replace the spare with a new one :applause: , but now i'm sus on the wheel that was the spare & is now in use, it visually looks like it could also be losing pressure. :o

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
:argue: They came to their senses & agreed to replace the spare with a new one :applause: , but now i'm sus on the wheel that was the spare & is now in use, it visually looks like it could also be losing pressure. :o

I wouldn't be surprised if you had issues with the others as they more than likely came from the same batch and if one is porous then you would expect the others would possibly be the same.

BJ