20' Series Inverter

roika11

Jun 14, 2021
Mandurah
I have an Expander Caravan on order with delivery in July 2021. I have ordered the 160w solar panel and a 120amp-hr Lithium battery as optional extras which I believe includes the Intellijay PM235J control panel. Once received I wish to install a 3000w inverter suitable to operate a Nespresso coffee machine. I wish to integrate the system with the mains 240v with auto changeover and have charging from the Ranger alternator whilst in transit. Has anyone any experience in this?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Trying to integrate an invertor into your 240v system is possible, expensive and really not a great idea just to run a coffee machine off grid....The longer you run the 240 from the invertor the more drain is put on your 12v system and if it isn't done properly it can kill you....
Most just have a dedicated GP for the invertor, TVs and stuff run off 12v no need for 240.

roika11

Jun 14, 2021
Mandurah
Trying to integrate an invertor into your 240v system is possible, expensive and really not a great idea just to run a coffee machine off grid....The longer you run the 240 from the invertor the more drain is put on your 12v system and if it isn't done properly it can kill you....
Most just have a dedicated GP for the invertor, TVs and stuff run off 12v no need for 240.
Thanks Drover, The single GPO is certainly a much simpler option. However instant or road house coffee is not an option for my "princess" so this is a matter of "yes dear" or my caravanning experience could be a short one or OMO. I am interested to know if anyone has used an expresso machine off the battery and whether it manages to get done within the 120Amp-hr battery storage and then if the battery then recharges off the alternator?

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Here is where I installed my inverter, used only for a coffee machine and frother and running off a 100 amp agm battery. We have had no problems off grid and, like you and yours, we enjoy our coffee.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Its a common thing this coffee fix,......
Mounting an invertor so it has the shortest cable runs from battery and to appliance means you should get the most from your power, cable size is very important and you don't leave them turned on as they are still using power even if you haven't got something plugged in, if you are off grid you want your solar to charge your battery, running your car for a few hours to recharge isn't going to do your car or wallet much good.......
When Off Grid, how well your battery recharges all depends on what you run off it/them, my 100 amp may not charge as well as yours as no 2 set ups will work the same, too many unknown factors.
Have a couple of trips in your new van before you go spending $$$ on mods "you think you need", as often what you thought you needed isn't and better to get it right first time........... I have a 400w invertor for charging my laptop, camera,drill batteries,no coffee machine I use a plunger, many I have found use their genny, massive effort to get their coffee and all they often make is a hot coffee flavoured milk shake.....

The thing is Off Grid you want to keep your use of it to the coffee machine not TV's, toasters and such or you will have to up your battery storage, TVs run off 12v quite well along with many other things, most important what sort of fridge is fitted if its a compressor fridge you will need to add more storage and possibly panels.

while it does advertise their products it does have some good info......... https://www.mygenerator.com.au/blog...i-need-for-my-caravan-camping-off-grid-setup/

Last edited:
Reactions: Boots in Action

roika11

Jun 14, 2021
Mandurah
Its a common thing this coffee fix,......
Mounting an invertor so it has the shortest cable runs from battery and to appliance means you should get the most from your power, cable size is very important and you don't leave them turned on as they are still using power even if you haven't got something plugged in, if you are off grid you want your solar to charge your battery, running your car for a few hours to recharge isn't going to do your car or wallet much good.......
When Off Grid, how well your battery recharges all depends on what you run off it/them, my 100 amp may not charge as well as yours as no 2 set ups will work the same, too many unknown factors.
Have a couple of trips in your new van before you go spending $$$ on mods "you think you need", as often what you thought you needed isn't and better to get it right first time........... I have a 400w invertor for charging my laptop, camera,drill batteries,no coffee machine I use a plunger, many I have found use their genny, massive effort to get their coffee and all they often make is a hot coffee flavoured milk shake.....

The thing is Off Grid you want to keep your use of it to the coffee machine not TV's, toasters and such or you will have to up your battery storage, TVs run off 12v quite well along with many other things, most important what sort of fridge is fitted if its a compressor fridge you will need to add more storage and possibly panels.

while it does advertise their products it does have some good info......... https://www.mygenerator.com.au/blog...i-need-for-my-caravan-camping-off-grid-setup/
Thanks Drover, Some handy tips there. No coffee flavored milk shakes for me:)

• Haha
Reactions: Drover

Expanda20.64

Jan 20, 2022
Perth, WA
I have an Expander Caravan on order with delivery in July 2021. I have ordered the 160w solar panel and a 120amp-hr Lithium battery as optional extras which I believe includes the Intellijay PM235J control panel. Once received I wish to install a 3000w inverter suitable to operate a Nespresso coffee machine. I wish to integrate the system with the mains 240v with auto changeover and have charging from the Ranger alternator whilst in transit. Has anyone any experience in this?
Hi There - Did you end up installing an inverter in the van? Interested to hear whether you integrated it into the J35 / mains power or just as a standard alone GPO?

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
I have a 2.2kw one installed in mine. Last minute idea that gets used everyday when free camping. I have an extension cord that wraps around the body for storage and run it along the floor to whatever appliance is to be used: Toaster, sandwich press, microwave, hair dryer (not mine of course...)

Some considerations on my simple install and why it's that way.
1) Safety. Each appliance fits into a safety category, with some being a lot more electrically safe than others (hair dryers vs microwaves for example). Mixing appliance types can compromise this so my rule is one at a time
2) Power draw limits. I use a rough divide watts by 10 to get battery current so 1000w = 100 amps at 12v. Some lithium batteries max out at 50, better ones at 100 amps (I have 2 so can do 200 amps or 2000W). One appliance is enough at a time for me getting maximum life out of my investment
3) Complexity. Connecting an inverter into the CV system takes some wiring gymnastics - the charger has to be disconnected, the exposed/external inlet plug pins must not be live (for obvious reasons) , a 3 way fridge will need to be switched to gas, and you need a competent person to do that safely (and probably legally). You may also need extra safety devices to supplement the RCD as there is debate on their effectiveness when running from an inverter

Reactions: KECL and Drover