Installing a P3 Brake Controller in my Patrol

allthedeans

Jul 24, 2011
I thought that I would post up some pics of the brake controller I have installed. (for my expanda 17.56-2) Its in a Nissan Patrol 2001 GU. After much deliberation and searching the net as the best place to install it I did some dismantling and came up with the following.

photo.JPG

The plastic cutout actually looks quite rough but I will smooth it out to make it neat. I may even try to find some trim to fill the gap.

photo1.JPG

The unit is attached to a piece of flat bar that I had lying around my garage. I cut and bent it to shape and fixed to car using the existing screws you can see. I had to notch either end of the flat bar to make room for the 12v socket and the rear diff lock switch.

I made a cardboard template before making the cut in the plastic. It worked well and the whole job only took me a couple of hours. I will be getting an auto electrician to wire it up as I need a bit of electrical work done anyway.

Hope this helps someone....

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
G'Day, Looks good, I searched for ages for a spot for my P3.
I ended up mounting it under the dash infront of my left knee. As I have a GU IV 2005 the dash is a little different to yours. If I mounted where you have, access was a bit difficult & I would have to move the fuel transfer switch.
Looks like this mounting it good for series I to III GU Patrols. (before the dash changes) Are you able to operate to the manual lever in this position ?

Cheers,

Paul

allthedeans

Jul 24, 2011
Hi Paul

I couldnt mount it on the dash near my knee because I am so tall. I didnt have to move anything mounting it where it is, and although the photo does not show it, there is plenty of room to operate the manual lever even with my fat fingers. :)

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
Yeh ! I'm over 6 ft too but I didn't have anywhere else to mount it in a GU IV, It's still about 100mm from my knee. Anyone with a GU IV that's tall will tell you the dash is close to you knees anyway.......... I have the seat in the rear most position also.....
I made up a mounting bracket also that made the unit sit up closer to the dash than the one that was supplied. The standard ones do sit a little lower.

Seeing you can still opertate the manual lever it looks a good option for the ealier GU's

Cheers,

Paul