HWS switch and anode

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
Righto finally took the time today to tidy up the HWS. I had planned to just fix the switch and took the gasworks off to do so. Quite a reluctant switch to get back in, did it though. Took the opportunity to do the anode as well nearing the vans 2nd birthday. The old one was easy enough to get out, though a tip is to do it outside rather then inside the shed :( Fortunately it's a rural shed so no damage. The new anode was slightly different then the original, in that it had a different amount of thread and a slightly thicker. I reckon the one in the HWS was the wrong one not the I bought. So anyhow when I inserted the new one it stuck out about 2cm but was very firm. took it out and thought it may be a fraction too long in comparison with the original so I took 1/2 cm off the end with no change in the result. I looked inside at the thread and it matches the anode for length except 1/2 of it was badly corroded because the thread on the old anode was too short, thus I reckon it was wrong. Anyhow I threw some more tape on it and tightened it as much as is reasonable and it's not leaking. I don't have a tap big enough to attempt to fix the thread.

Another tip is to make sure you have a 27mm socket, makes life pretty easy.

Reactions: Xpandafan

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
My 240v switch on my HWS needs replacing too as it only works on gas now and the switch feels loose on the switch part. It only started playing up on the the Wombeyan Caves trip. I hardly use 240v much anyway but its a job I'll need to do.

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
My 240v switch on my HWS needs replacing too as it only works on gas now and the switch feels loose on the switch part. It only started playing up on the the Wombeyan Caves trip. I hardly use 240v much anyway but its a job I'll need to do.

Well here is what I learned doing mine:

1. Disconnect the power. Your standing next to it so nice and easy to check.
  2. Easiest to take the Gas control module off from the get go. 4 short self tappers and two pipe connections. I left the electricals connected because the module needs something to hang off :)
  3. The switch clips are top and bottom and it pulls out pretty easy.
  4. I bought the replacement from caravansplus @ $32 or as mentioned elsewhere you can get them from JayCar for $5 :( The original has the connectors bot at one end and slightly angled.
  5. There are two right angled spade connectors that barely fit out. Mine pulled off but you can spend what seems an eternity and eventually you'll be able to gather them with long nosed pliers. There is about 5-10cm of wire to play with here so plenty of space.
  6. Connecting the spades is as easy as it sounds.
  7. Then just a bit of jiggery pokery will see the switch go back in. Mine was tight and one of the spades stared to come off so I started again after tightening the space a poofteenith.
Not so hard.