Holiday Annexes Bed flies

RidgePanda

Mar 5, 2013
Barden Ridge
In Andrews words, "It's pumping, 4 foot and off shore"
Its pretty crowded. Andrews been out several times a day. The point has been a little big for Kirra and Ally but there out there giving it a shot.
Kirra and I were sitting on the benches this arvo watching Andrew and Ally surf and saw this backpacker snap the nose off his board, but then he ran back up the point to go back in for more.....with a broken board, What the......

Awesome tell him I'm jealous but I had 4' at seal rocks on the SUP 3 weeks ago so not like I can complain..........back to work for me ho hum - enjoy!

Reactions: Lara

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Awesome tell him I'm jealous but I had 4' at seal rocks on the SUP 3 weeks ago so not like I can complain..........back to work for me ho hum - enjoy!

Ah, so you've had your fix! You've gotta go SUP'ing with Andrew next time your on the northern beaches.

Reactions: RidgePanda

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Great to hear about the surf, I'll be ther Friday arvo, stayin for a week,

Greg

Great time to come Greg, the surf just keeps getting better! we'll be leaving here Friday late arvo and heading to Sundowner at Port for a few nights. Come say Hi if we're still here when you arrive at Crescent. We're site 34, surf side!

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Thought I should post an update on the canvas bed fly's after our recent trip to Crescent Head.

Well these fly's are worth their weight in gold. There was a thunderstorm one night at Crescent Head and another night of torrential rain and wind in Port Macquarie. It was so nice falling asleep to the sound of rain falling without the worry of wet canvas and bedding. Our beds did remain 100% dry.

The other bonus we found was the bed fly's are great for insulation too. The night time temp was dropping to around 8 degrees but inside the Expanda was really very pleasant, there was no chill coming off the internal canvas bed ends.

So all in all, we are very happy with our decision to get these Holiday Annexes bed fly's and the service we received from them was second to none! Happy days!

janematt

Jan 16, 2013
Hobart
After reading Lara's report on her bed flys thought I would give an update on ours. As previously stated we found ours to be quite noisy. I thought maybe I was being unreasonable about them being noisy, so we used them again whilst away for a week. Had some rain and wind. They kept the rain off but on the last night they were so noisy (actually woke us up) we had to get out of bed and remove them, which was very disappointing. It sounded like there was a cyclone going on outside. Taking them off made a huge difference, we could actually get back to sleep. I contacted Kim at holiday Annexes and although very nice could not give us an answer. We have fitted them correctly as per instructiond and pictures. I suggested that maybe we could swap them over for another lot but they thought there would be no point. I guess all in all I fell very disappointed in ours.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
After reading Lara's report on her bed flys thought I would give an update on ours. As previously stated we found ours to be quite noisy. I thought maybe I was being unreasonable about them being noisy, so we used them again whilst away for a week. Had some rain and wind. They kept the rain off but on the last night they were so noisy (actually woke us up) we had to get out of bed and remove them, which was very disappointing. It sounded like there was a cyclone going on outside. Taking them off made a huge difference, we could actually get back to sleep. I contacted Kim at holiday Annexes and although very nice could not give us a solution. We have fitted them correctly as per instructiond and pictures. I suggested that maybe we could swap them over for another lot but they thought there would be no point. I guess all in all I fell very disappointed in ours.

Bummer, that's certainly thrown a spanner in the works......I was keen to get one too!

janematt

Jan 16, 2013
Hobart
Hi Burnsy Ours is a 2012 18.57-6 OB as well, even queried whether all the bed ends are the same size, as we seem to be the only ones having this problem. Apparently they are.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi Burnsy Ours is a 2012 18.57-6 OB as well, even queried whether all the bed ends are the same size, as we seem to be the only ones having this problem. Apparently they are.

Hi janematt, what is it that makes them noisy, flapping or something else?

janematt

Jan 16, 2013
Hobart
They appear to 'flap' around in the wind. The movement of them are very noisy, not sure if its the material they use. Thought it may be the windows when they are closed flapping around. Was going to try putting some velcro on each window to help hold them closed when zipped down, not sure if this will work or not but will be worth a try. As they are we just cant use them if there is any wind.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Are they secured at the bottom? I'm surprised to hear this about them but not doubting you janematt. Hey Lara, any trouble with flapping? Not sure which way to go now :noidea:

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Are they secured at the bottom? I'm surprised to hear this about them but not doubting you janematt. Hey Lara, any trouble with flapping? Not sure which way to go now :noidea:

Hi Burnsy, we have had no problems with flapping and noise. Even at Crescent where the wind really picks up ours were fine, and in Port Macquarie we copped 30-40km winds during the Saturday downpour.
Like you I'm certainly not doubting Janematt, but it does seem to be isolated to theirs only. Earlier in this thread there are 4 or so members that posted that they have not had any problems with flapping and noise either.
Hmmmmm, not sure what Janematt can do??.

Reactions: Burnsy

swifty

Mar 7, 2013
I know you people have those fancy 'Hard Lid' Expandas but we're a bit Old Skool and still have a 'Soft Lid' :)

This is how I stop the flys from flapping around - occy strap pegged into ground. Not a peep from it all night, keeps the sides taut and as you can see in the photo the bow in it is from the sea 'breeze' but still holding firm. The ocean is 20m to the left of that photo.

They are great for privacy, insulation, keeping the rain and wind out. Highly recommended.

fly1.png

Reactions: crustt

janematt

Jan 16, 2013
Hobart
No they're not secured at the bottom. Not supposed to be be. Refer to pictures posted by others. I agree that maybe the flapping is isolated to our fly only. This is why I suggested to Hoilday Annexes that maybe we could swap them over for another, maybe ours is faulty is some way??, they replied that there wouldn't be any point.......

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
No they're not secured at the bottom. Not supposed to be be. Refer to pictures posted by others. I agree that maybe the flapping is isolated to our fly only. This is why I suggested to Hoilday Annexes that maybe we could swap them over for another, maybe ours is faulty is some way??, they replied that there wouldn't be any point.......

Hi janematt, was just thinking, and am wondering if you have ever gone outside during the flapping to see exactly what's flapping, where and why?
I can understand what Kim is saying about there being no point to try another set. They are all cut to the same measurements with the same materials. Only difference being that the front is a different pattern/measurements to the rear bed end.

janematt

Jan 16, 2013
Hobart
Hi Lara, been outside when flapping, it seems to be the whole unit, cant really pin point exactly, thats why I thought I might try velcroing the windows closed. Do you know if the rear bed end is bigger or smaller than the front?? As we have the 18.57-6 OB we only have the front bed end. Do your fly's move around at all or noisy at all.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Hi Lara, been outside when flapping, it seems to be the whole unit, cant really pin point exactly, thats why I thought I might try velcroing the windows closed. Do you know if the rear bed end is bigger or smaller than the front?? As we have the 18.57-6 OB we only have the front bed end. Do your fly's move around at all or noisy at all.

Hi janematt
The rear bed fly is shorter because the rear hard lid is on more of an angle downward.
Andrew went to put the rear bed fly on the front bed by mistake when we were at Crescent (even though he grabbed the bag with an 'R' on it for rear.....) but very quickly knew it was the wrong end as it was a good 2" or so short for the front bed end.
So if your bed fly comes down to the bed base at the front then it's the correct one for the front bed.

Our fly's will move a little in wind, like any fly but they're certainly not flapping or noisy.
Hope this helps.

crustt

Apr 17, 2013
I know you people have those fancy 'Hard Lid' Expandas but we're a bit Old Skool and still have a 'Soft Lid' :)

This is how I stop the flys from flapping around - occy strap pegged into ground. Not a peep from it all night, keeps the sides taut and as you can see in the photo the bow in it is from the sea 'breeze' but still holding firm. The ocean is 20m to the left of that photo.

They are great for privacy, insulation, keeping the rain and wind out. Highly recommended.

fly1.png
Hi Swifty, I like that fly is that just one cross bar held up by the 2 at 45 deg.? I'm an old schooler too, am just about to make a privacy fly with roll down canvas for insulation.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
389692240.391823.jpg

I used a extendable bar across bottom of screen, with adjustable strap to drawbar at front and bumper at rear. Shorter adjustable straps provide tension on the angled poles to the handles. Stand-0ffs hold the extendable bar firm. No flapping and more importantly a few less trip hazards. Doesn't really take any longer setting up, either.

389692494.396856.jpg

Reactions: Burnsy

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
View attachment 13669
I used a extendable bar across bottom of screen, with adjustable strap to drawbar at front and bumper at rear. Shorter adjustable straps provide tension on the angled poles to the handles. Stand-0ffs hold the extendable bar firm. No flapping and more importantly a few less trip hazards. Doesn't really take any longer setting up, either.

View attachment 13671

Very clever Xpandafan!