Holiday Annexes Bed flies

janematt

Jan 16, 2013
Hobart
Hi we have a 2013 18.57-6 expanda. Before Easter we purchased a bed fly from Holiday Annexes which we fitted, it looks really good and I must say they were excellent to deal with. We tested them out over Easter and found that in a slight breeze they seem to be very noisy (flap around alot). Was just wondering if any one else has found this and if so how they have dealt with it.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Hi we have a 2013 18.57-6 expanda. Before Easter we purchased a bed fly from Holiday Annexes which we fitted, it looks really good and I must say they were excellent to deal with. We tested them out over Easter and found that in a slight breeze they seem to be very noisy (flap around alot). Was just wondering if any one else has found this and if so how they have dealt with it.

We also have the Holiday Annexes canvas bed flies and will be testing them out on holidays next week.
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/canvas-bed-flys-by-holiday-annexes.2689/page-4#post-34214
Do yours have the press studs that attach the 2 ends to your Expanda. I guess if flapping were an issue you could maybe try using small anti flap clamps on the corners and peg them out. Or put some eyelets in the corners to attach to and peg out that way.
Will let you know how we go in couple weeks!

janematt

Jan 16, 2013
Hobart
We also have the Holiday Annexes canvas bed flies and will be testing them out on holidays next week.
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/canvas-bed-flys-by-holiday-annexes.2689/page-4#post-34214
Do yours have the press studs that attach the 2 ends to your Expanda. I guess if flapping were an issue you could maybe try using small anti flap clamps on the corners and peg them out. Or put some eyelets in the corners to attach to and peg out that way.
Will let you know how we go in couple weeks!

janematt

Jan 16, 2013
Hobart
Hi Lara
Would be very interested to see how you find them. Thought about pegging them out but it seems to defeat the purpose of having changed vans from a camper to an expanda if we still have too much setting up. I guess thats what we liked about these flies, that they are so easy to use. Apart from the noise I like the privacy they give. Will be interested to see how they are when the weather gets colder hopefully they will have a good insulation value.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Hi Lara
Would be very interested to see how you find them. Thought about pegging them out but it seems to defeat the purpose of having changed vans from a camper to an expanda if we still have too much setting up. I guess thats what we liked about these flies, that they are so easy to use. Apart from the noise I like the privacy they give. Will be interested to see how they are when the weather gets colder hopefully they will have a good insulation value.

I don't think pegging the corners out if needed would take more than 2 minutes, no comparison to setting up a camper!
There are other members on the forum that have them and have found they are great for insulation, Both cooler in summer and warmer in winter, win win. But for me the biggest plus is no wet beds.
Will keep you posted after our holiday!

Michael_BNE

Dec 1, 2012
Brisbane
We currently use these bed flys and we have not had issues with flapping. They are cool in the heat, dry in the wet and provide a neat, professional finish to the bed ends. I would be hesitant to peg these out as the extra tension on the sail track (that is pop riveted to the hard bed ends) could be problematic...

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
We currently use these bed flys and we have not had issues with flapping. They are cool in the heat, dry in the wet and provide a neat, professional finish to the bed ends. I would be hesitant to peg these out as the extra tension on the sail track (that is pop riveted to the hard bed ends) could be problematic...

Good to hear you had no problems Michael. I can't wait to use ours! I'm not expecting any flapping, especially in light breezes, which is why I was curious if janematt had the press studs attaching the bed fly's to the Expanda.

Reactions: Michael_BNE

ragracing

Jan 30, 2012
Petrie Qld
We used ours for the first time while we were away at Hervey Bay and Woodgate during Easter, where had a few heavy showers and very windy days. We didn't get wet canvas or flapping occuring, which was just great ;)

Reactions: Lara

janematt

Jan 16, 2013
Hobart
Yep we have the 2 press studs each side to attach to expanda. Good to hear others experiences with them. We are going away again in school holidays in a few weeks so we will see how they go again. Maybe we just need to get used to the extra noise. Also hesitant about pegging down with tension on the hard lid.

sledge

Banned
Feb 21, 2013
Sunbury
I have a 2013 model too and after our first pack up realised as well as press studs for the top there were eyelet bands at the bottom that could be stretched over plugs underneath the bed lid, which would hold the screens tight.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Hi Janematt,
just thought I'd send you a quick update.
Weve been here at Crescent Head for 3 night now and being right on the beach the wind can really pick up.
Have had no noise or flapping from the bed fly's, even in strong wind.
Couldnt be happier with them!

janematt

Jan 16, 2013
Hobart
Hi Lara thanks for that. I've just looked back on your pictures and noticed that you have the pvc windows attached to yours (we haven't). Was wondering if your have your windows rolled down or up. I'm thinking that maybe the noise from ours is the bottom of the window flapping around.
I've also made a mistake saying that our van is a 2013, it's actually a 2012 which we purchased in 2013...

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Hi Lara thanks for that. I've just looked back on your pictures and noticed that you have the pvc windows attached to yours (we haven't). Was wondering if your have your windows rolled down or up. I'm thinking that maybe the noise from ours is the bottom of the window flapping around.
I've also made a mistake saying that our van is a 2013, it's actually a 2012 which we purchased in 2013...

Hi Janematt,
Up until this arvo we had only been using the zippered canvas windows, up during the day for light, and down during the night for darkness. But a big thunder storm has decided to roll into Crescent Head late this arvo and still continuing, so the clear PVC windows have now been put up. I'm so glad we have these canvas bed fly's, even though its windy and absolutely pouring down with rain, the internal canvas and beds are dry as a bone! So we've now used all combinations with these fly's and all is good for us.
Not sure what you can try if your having trouble with flapping and noise?
Have you got it pulled nice and tight around the sail track, so the corners are tight? Then again nice and taut where it attaches they your Expanda with the press studs. I'm wondering if yours might be a little slack and then allowing more movement and flapping. Might be worth checking to see if you press studs can be moved to make the fit more taut!
If I think of anything else I'll let you know!

RidgePanda

Mar 5, 2013
Barden Ridge
Hi Janematt,
Up until this arvo we had only been using the zippered canvas windows, up during the day for light, and down during the night for darkness. But a big thunder storm has decided to roll into Crescent Head late this arvo and still continuing, so the clear PVC windows have now been put up. I'm so glad we have these canvas bed fly's, even though its windy and absolutely pouring down with rain, the internal canvas and beds are dry as a bone! So we've now used all combinations with these fly's and all is good for us.
Not sure what you can try if your having trouble with flapping and noise?
Have you got it pulled nice and tight around the sail track, so the corners are tight? Then again nice and taut where it attaches they your Expanda with the press studs. I'm wondering if yours might be a little slack and then allowing more movement and flapping. Might be worth checking to see if you press studs can be moved to make the fit more taut!
If I think of anything else I'll let you know!

More importantly hows the surf in Crescent????? :D

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
More importantly hows the surf in Crescent????? :D

In Andrews words, "It's pumping, 4 foot and off shore"
Its pretty crowded. Andrews been out several times a day. The point has been a little big for Kirra and Ally but there out there giving it a shot.
Kirra and I were sitting on the benches this arvo watching Andrew and Ally surf and saw this backpacker snap the nose off his board, but then he ran back up the point to go back in for more.....with a broken board, What the......