Hi from Sydney

mickm512

Oct 29, 2010
Baulkham Hills, NSW
G'Day Fellow Expandas
I received delivery of my 2010 ex display 16.49-1 Outback expanda last week. I took my family down to Jervis Bay overnight last Saturday for the Maiden Voyage. I must say I am very impressed with the way the rig handled the freeways. The weather however was terrible and we spent most of the time inside due to heavy rain.

I am married with 2 sons (7&8 yo) with another on the way. We decided to jump into the caravan scene for one big holiday this xmas before bubs arrives. My wife is due in May which gives us plenty of time. Then plenty of shorter holidays with bubs.

We chose the expanda because it was great value and very spacious when popped up and out. When closed in it is a reasonable compact unit, and gee it looks good on the road.

I found this forum through google and can see that activity is just starting build on the site. I am a completely new to caravaning and hope to learn and share experiences with like minded people.

Cheers
Mick

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Gday Mick, welcome to the site!

Any photos of the rig she sounds like a beauty? Also what are you towing it with?

I am in Sydney in Hoxton Park and have two kids one boy 8 and one girl 11. We get down to Jervis Bay / Huskisson a bit love the fishing down there.

There is a couple of nice places on the river where you can have a fire etc. Where abouts did you stay down there?

Congrats on the bub, it sounds like another boy am I right or is it actually nearly a football team?

Where abouts are you of to for the big one over xmas?

Again welcome to the site, hope you enjoy it and I am glad you found us. :)

mickm512

Oct 29, 2010
Baulkham Hills, NSW
G'Day Expanda

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Ill work on getting some images up. Yeah we are really happy with it and I love the look of the fibreglass / checkplate sides. I have setup my wifes Mazda CX9 as the tow vehicle, it has plenty of power but its bloody thirsty. I was considering towing it with my SSV commodore, but was outvoted by the family. I do agree the cx9 has plenty of luxury for big trips.

We stayed at the white sands caravan park at huskisson, we love huskisson and have been going for many years, this was first time in a caravan. You will have to share your secret campsite by the river ;-)

Not sure what we are having yet, its all good.

We are planning to do big trip to WA and back for the entire school holidays. We have absolutely no experience in this caravanning life, but we have a sense of adventure and willingness to learn and explore. I would appreciate any comments or experiences that you may have.

Cheers Mick

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Gday Mick, where abouts did you pick the van up from was it Jayco Sydney?

The CX9 sounds like an interesting machine!

We spend the school holidays travelling up the coast similar to your WA adventure. :)

We go up to Hervey Bay drop the van off then over to Fraser Island for a bit of off roading and fishing then back down to Sydney via Surfers, Tweed Coast, Byron / Lennox Head etc.

When travelling we use camps 5, it lists every rest stop (free camp/small fee site) available in the book and gives you facts about the stop. We generally plot our route and then look up stops on the way to stop in overnight as required.

http://www.campsaustraliawide.com/index.php

The book is worth its weight in gold for us its saved us many nights of staying in caravan parks and would be a worthy investment for your trip if you don't already own it!

There is also this website which you can use for free if you don't want the book!

http://ozcamps.net/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=29

We ended up in some unbelievable places only a stones throw from the highways and the best bet it was free. This had to be my favourite!

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/entry.php/4-Sheba-Dam-s

The kids didn't like the drop dunny though hence the pop up shower tent / porta toilet out the front. :)

We spent a good week or so traveling inland and back to the coast last year. I put a blog up on it you can see the entire thing you need to start at the beginning and then work your way back if you have a spare moment.

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/blog.php/1-expanda/page3?blogcategoryid=1

The best advise I could give is to just take it easy on the road. The amount of time I have spent out there the stupidest things I have seen has always been people towing vans, trucks and similar big loads with just no idea.

Your doing 95 - 100 and a fully loaded van shoots past you doing 120 easy. Drives me nuts, not only endangers them but endangers you and everyone else.

The beauty of a van is you are not limited to anything you can go anywhere, do anything and you can do it at your pace. I don't see the need to rush just take the time on the road and enjoy the sights as you go! :)

WA is a beautiful place you will not be sorry going over there!

Do you have a route picked or just which ever way comes?

mickm512

Oct 29, 2010
Baulkham Hills, NSW
G'Day Expanda
Yes I bought the Expanda from Sydney Jayco at St.Marys. We could not wait until Feb next year for new as we want to do our trip this xmas and the display model was exactly what we were looking for. I like the 16.49-1 because most of the van is living space, and the 2 double beds just pop out without reducing the living space.

I scanned over you holiday and it looks like you made some awsome discoveries. We also debated the toilet/shower option and were not convinced that we really wanted the lost space and having to deal with the sh!t. We may totally change our tune after the trip :-0.

I agree with your comment about taking your time. I will continue to remind myself that the drive is the holiday and it is not just the end destination. We get so used being focused on getting somewhere and the end result we want, that we forget about the journey. I look forward to relaxing and discovering more of this great country we live in.

We have a route planned roughly but we are still researching. I will post our plans and start a new thread for your comments.

Have you planned any new trips or are you doing Fraser again??

Cheers
Mick

mickm512

Oct 29, 2010
Baulkham Hills, NSW
Here are some pics of my Expanda
MM%20iPhone%20226.jpg
MM%20iPhone%20225.jpg
MM%20iPhone%20227.jpg

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
She is a beauty you must be proud :)

Now I know I am supposed to be looking at the van but car looks fantastic with that rig behind it I can see why you got overruled on the commodore!

Who did you deal with at Jayco Sydney?

Also are you using a weight distribution hitch? I could see any brackets from your other pictures?

mickm512

Oct 29, 2010
Baulkham Hills, NSW
G'Day Expanda
Yeah the car and van does look great. Thanks! I dealt with Thomas he seemd Ok. No weight distribution hitch, I am not sure if it is necessary as the car seemed to hold up fine with the weight??

Cheers
Mick

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Gday Mick, not everyone uses a weight hitch but alot of people swear by it.

I use one as the back of the Pajero sags when fully loaded and the steering gets light. The weight distribution corrects this and get the steering back on track.

Not long now till your trip! :)

Hopefully this Sydney weather clears up finally! :)

mickm512

Oct 29, 2010
Baulkham Hills, NSW
G'Day Expanda
I think we'll be OK based on my last trip, I will be sure to balance the load in the van for the big trip, thats why I was'nt keen to mount the jerry can on the draw bar.

Well we are planning to leave about the 11th december to spend xmas in WA. We will not waste too much time getting there, and we will slow it down for the trip back. Dont know what we're in for, cant wait.

As for the weather, they had some experts on the morning news this week and they forecast a very wet east coast this summer and a dry west coast :)

Cheers Mick

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Hi ya Mick

Welcome aboard, looks like we have enough Sydney/surrounds members for a get together, we to have been to Husski White Sand but a few year ago now when we had to camper, unfortunately now if we do weekends we are forced to use dog friendly parks, which is hard at times especially long weekend as most wont allow them, luckily I'm in a position were i can make self appointed long weekends at times. or be able to get away early Friday arvos

just on the Weight hitch with your Expanda, just check your tow vehicle hand book, some manufactures recommend the use of them over certain ball weights (like Pajero) I never used one with my camper (Swan) but with the Expanda I wouldn't be without it now.

Cheers

michael:D

mickm512

Oct 29, 2010
Baulkham Hills, NSW
G'day bushman
Yeah we should have an expandas weekend at a favorite caravan park??
You may have a point with the weight hitch as the front of the car does not dip under braking. No major noticeable issue with handling although I have not pushed it.

Cheers Mick