Hi about to purchase a OB 17.56-1

Homebrewpig

Feb 27, 2013
Hi my name is Wayne, married with 3 boys (twins) under 6. We are about to purchase a new Expanda OB 17.56-1 and would like to ask what options we should look at. We would mainly stay at the caravan sites that carter for rug rats (B$& 4's). Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

P.S love the site, some great knowledge and information.

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Im also looking at an OB 17.56, but im going for the -2 with ensuit. Like you I have three kids including twins, (all girls under 8) and I have found that my girls all need to go to the toilet at different times, and my wife spends her holiday constantly walking backwards and forwards between the amenities block. (The advantage of girls over boys for me!) The ensuit would come in handy for this, mainly after dark.
This aslo means an extra water tank, a hot water system, and extra gas bottle adn a higher ATM.

As for other options, Im definitely going for the following
- Extended drawbar. I want to mount a box onthe drawbar to house the Webber Q.
- External Shower. Post beach sand washoff for the kids. If you went for the 17.56-2, you get the hot water anyway.
- TV provision. I have a 12v tv, but would like Jayco to mount the cradle.
- Ariel. for TV
- additional axternal power point. we would like to set up a tressle table alongside the van which would hold the Kettle and toaster, aswell assorted crap like beach towels etc. an exter power point avoid having to use a power board
- a couple of extra power points inside the van for charging the multitute of gadgets we all seem to have these days.
- a couple of lights under the bunk to light up the loweer bunk/table area
- Privacy screens
- a rear gas bayonette (although I've heard the factory wont fit these anymore.
- A battery. Apparently, you cant light the fridge to run on Gas, or light he stove unless you have a12v feed.......

Thats about all I can think of.

Reactions: Homebrewpig

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Hey Wayne, go for it you can't go wrong.

We have a 17.56-2 and I wouldn't change it for a model without the toilet now. However it's a personal call as the 56-1 will give you more room inside the van. We have 2 teenagers and we find that we do ok as we aren't all inside at the same time anyway, and if we are we manage. I believe all the new 17.56 series come standard with a roof mounted Truma aircon, so apart from that, these are what we put on ours that would apply to you:

1. Extra double power points under each dinette.
2. At least 1, preferably 2 gas bayonets.
3. Privacy screens.
4. Awning plus annex.
5. 150 litre fridge.
6. 100 amp battery.
7. External shower (we don't have this but in hindsight I wish i did).
8. Hot Water System (we have this as standard as we have the 56-2).

We didn't get a TV as we go away to get away so to speak. We have a Portable DVD player we use for movies.

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
with us, I really wanted the bathroom because of the toilet thing, in the end the best thing about having it was the shower! no needing to have to go shower in the public/park ones. And you can have a quick shower at night just before hopping into bed without being exposed to the elements. I wouldn't buy another van without a bathroom again!!

And I would consider the simplicity suspension too if I were you, same again once you have it, you can't live without it!!

Good Luck!

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hey Wayne, go for it you can't go wrong.

We have a 17.56-2 and I wouldn't change it for a model without the toilet now. However it's a personal call as the 56-1 will give you more room inside the van. We have 2 teenagers and we find that we do ok as we aren't all inside at the same time anyway, and if we are we manage. I believe all the new 17.56 series come standard with a roof mounted Truma aircon, so apart from that, these are what we put on ours that would apply to you:

1. Extra double power points under each dinette.
2. At least 1, preferably 2 gas bayonets.
3. Privacy screens.
4. Awning plus annex.
5. 150 litre fridge.
6. 100 amp battery.
7. External shower (we don't have this but in hindsight I wish i did).
8. Hot Water System (we have this as standard as we have the 56-2).

We didn't get a TV as we go away to get away so to speak. We have a Portable DVD player we use for movies.

great list there BoD, plus a couple of external tables (at least one, anyhow), is the go. plus external gpo/aireal/12v points under the awning area, external speakers for the radio, solar pre wired, roof antenna wind up.relocate the bunk ladder to the rear (if you get the shower version, allows better access to shower and no interruption to the kitchen area). a gpo near the front locker should you use electric bbq/ frypan.

yes these are maybe nice to haves, though resale value will certainly appeal. cheers Pace.

Homebrewpig

Feb 27, 2013
Thankyou for the replies, certainly some food for thought, got a few prices today over the phone, and going to do a deal at the Melbourne Caravan Show at Caulfied next week.

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
:welcome: HBP to the forum.

Sounds like you have it sorted as to what you are going to get. We don't have a 17 but a 16.49-3-OB. The 3 in the 16 foot models is the one with the shower / toilet in it. We would not go without the shower / toilet now. It is the convenience of having our own amenities in the van and not having to goto the amenities block, especially during the night.

As the others have said these are the things we got that I think are worth getting:
1. Battery
2. Extra power points
3. Extra gas bayonets and I would really push for 2 - 1 front and 1 back. We only got one at the front and I wish i had one at the back also.
4. Privacy Screens - even if you don't want the privacy side, the sun block out when its hot is actually quite good.
5. Awning. I don't have an annexe and would probably not use one but we got shade curtain that goes in the runner track of the awning. And one for each end also.
6. LED Lights - i think they are standard now.? Even if you think you don't need lower power use the white light over the yellow light is so much nicer to look at.

Good luck at the show and take some pics. :)
Cheers
Ants

greynt

Dec 15, 2012
Yarra Valley
Thankyou for the replies, certainly some food for thought, got a few prices today over the phone, and going to do a deal at the Melbourne Caravan Show at Caulfied next week.

G'day HBP,

My suggestion is in line with what BoD and pace have said, mainly the external shower, gas bayonet for bbq, 150ltr fridge, solar/battery,
extended drawbar(which i wish i got on my 17.56-2OB). External fold out table is also a great addition.
Privacy screens, maybe even waterproof screens if you think that you will need them as they will help keeping the warmth in if camping in cooler weather as well.
Maybe even if possible get the jockey wheel to the centre of the a frame as this will be an advantage if you use a WDH.
I was recently advised not to buy at the show as they cannot spend a heap of time with you to discuss all your options etc, and in hind sight
i would probably not again as i forgot to get the extended draw bar and got that caught up
in the hype of it and almost forgot the external shower as well. Just have a list of all you want and stick to it.
I also didn't get the tv or radio as we got our own tv and also have a ipod dock to use instead the radio.
We also got the control panel, but don't know how useful as you don't have water tanks if you stick with the -1.
I think the new versions come with LED lights which a must IMO.
Keep prowling through the forum and see what people say it is fantastic for information, and heaps of people willing to help.
Apart from that enjoy your new van and the community it opens up, they are great fun and let us know how you go.

HTH
greynt.

BTS

Mar 1, 2013
Sydney
Hi Wayne

With regards to the options, I will leave this to the experts as we went a little over board. However with regards to the 17.56-1 or 17.56-2, we also faced that dilemma of should we get the shower and toilet or the extra bench space and wardrobe. My wife won on this front and we went with the 17.56-1. Given I still wanted a toilet and shower we opted for the external shower and brought ourselves a freestanding toilet tent(http://compare.ebay.com.au/like/200822528414?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes) and a porta potti. When ordering the van we asked for the shelves in the rear robe to be lose fitted, and when we picked up the van we had Jayco fit the shelves ensuring the porta potti would fit on the bottom self in the rear robe. We only use the Porta Potti in emergencies or when staying away from caravan parks.

One point on the options, depending on your tow vehicle, we opted for the Hyland Hitch as with the standard hitch we are unable to fully open the rear door on the Pajero.

Best of luck with your decision, not an easy one between the two

Cheers
BTS

Homebrewpig

Feb 27, 2013
Thanxs to the numerous replies it is great to have all the advice and indeed there are some common thoughts which we are going to pursue, eg extra 240v points, external gas bayonets, privacy screens, external shower, extended drawbar, TV+ Antenna.
And I have a couple of questions does the external shower come with the extra gas cyclinder and extra 82lt water tank?
And whats the difference between the full annex and "add a room" is the add a room more sturdy?
Thanxs Homebrewpig.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
G'day Wayne, welcome mate. Not sure about the extra gas bottle and tank but if you want it then just tell the dealer. As far as the annexe and add a room, I think some Victorian dealers call the annexe a add a room but we had a room on the end of our annexe on our last van that was about 7x6'. This gives extra room for storage or another sleeping area and very sturdy. We used it for storage and a "dunny" room that had a porta potty inside.....worked really well.
Good luck with your purchase.

Cheers.

sven

Dec 10, 2012
Brisbane, QLD
Hi Wayne,

We ordered a 17.56-1 OB last year. It was due to be completed on the 27th of February, waiting on the call to say it’s arrived at the dealer.
Our options chosen are, external shower, 120W solar, extended drawbar (adds an extra 300mm), rear gas bayonet fitting (I ordered 2 fittings but will be refunded the $100 as Jayco don't fit 2 anymore, Australian design rules or some crap), 150l fridge, CD player with internal only speakers and annex. The deal at the time of purchase last year already included as standard 90W solar (which we upgraded), roof top aircon, external bed end privacy screens, roll out awning and wind up TV antenna with internal connections. We were talked out of the control panel as the salesman wasn’t convinced that they read the water level correctly. Something about baffles in the tank causing false readings.

I tried to choose options that had to be competed at the time of the vans construction. Thinking I can add other ones myself at home.

Ordering the external shower included the extra water tank, 9kg gas bottle and hot water system.

After visiting the caravan and camping show last year, we knew that the 17.56 was the van for us that would fit our family. We have three boys and a girl with the youngest two boy’s twins (we went for the third child and got an extra). We just needed to decide on the internal shower/toilet model or not. We chose the non shower/toilet model for the extra storage space it gives on the day of purchase. We’re confident that most of our vanning will be in caravan parks. If we free camp, we can free toilet too in the bush. Although we are going to look at a pop up ensuite for the shower and one for a porta potty.

Regards,

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
External shower may come in handy too! Easy to hose the kids down when not at caravan parks, definately get a tap on the drawbar too!

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Just a note. The external shower option on a 17.56-1 costs about $1445 because you need to add the HWS. On a 17.56-2 it is a $380 option.

Homebrewpig

Feb 27, 2013
So we have decided to do the deal (I think) tomorrow at Caulified with the following inclusions

Full Annex
1 Extra External 240v Outlet
Privacy Screens
External Shower
Wind Up Antenna
150lt Fridge
Shelves to Robe
21.5" TV
Solar Pack 100amp Battery
1 Extra gas bayonet.
On the road $45900, what do you think.

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
not bad... if i were you I would can the TV. I got it the first time and it cost twice what a Teac or Kogan cost (same TV). I have decided not to get one included with the basestation but have included the TV antenna and the bracket.
Kogan_zpsba36f1e2.jpg

Attachments

• Kogan_zpsba36f1e2.jpg
    Kogan_zpsba36f1e2.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 134

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Wayne,

Hope you survived the show and got your van ordered.

Weove our 17.56-2 - Had it since late August last year. Loo is a real bonus :)

We ordered at the show last year, then added some extras afterwards when we had time to discuss and make some decisions without the pressure of the sales rep.

Much of the additions were added as a result of asking questions on this forum.

We added the extra items before we signed off the final order confirmation.

We went for 2 x external tables - really well worth the extra $s.

IMG_1426.JPG IMG_1456.JPG

The beauty of the Jayco ordering process is that you can add items on to the final sign off, before they start building, so it gives you time to do what we did.

After much reading, advise and copying other people's ideas from this forum, we filled our 17.56-2OB with options at the final sign off. They include:

- Roll out awning
- Rooftop air conditioner (Sparrow)
- 150lt fridge
- Wind up TV antenna
- 2 x Picnic tables next to each other
- 3 x shelves in robe
- Privacy screens
- 2 x 100AH battery packs
- Anderson plug to battery
- Control panel
- Add-A-Room annex
- Full oven